Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

new component system installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new component system installed

i ordered my MTX separates and got them in. i spent the morning installing them and they sound awsome. the crossovers are mounted on the inside-bottom of the door panels (couldnt find anywhere else to mount them for show, but they are beautiful. here are some pics:

The 6.5" woofer/midrange:

The 25mm tweeter:

A better look of where i mounted the tweeter:

let me know if you need any help with this install. ill get pics a little later of the rest of my system (headunit, amps, sub).
Old 08-04-2006, 08:29 PM

those tweets might be a bit high for good imagining, but looks nice, they might also be extremely loud right there...

I'd like to see the rest of the system
Old 08-05-2006, 01:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SS SChgd
those tweets might be a bit high for good imagining, but looks nice, they might also be extremely loud right there...

I'd like to see the rest of the system
Wow, yeah thats what I'm thinking. How much attenuation do you have on those tweets? Lot of path length difference there.......
Old 08-05-2006, 08:04 AM

yeah there is a huge space between the tweets and the mids but it sounds suprisingly good. i was skeptical about doing it, i thought the tweets would be too loud, but i did it anyways. the crossover (MTX of course) had a -3 decible setting on it so it would dim the tweets a little. the provide a really good surround effect. i do recommend this. i will try and get some pics of the rest of the system soon, i need to sleep, well play battlefield 2 first then sleep, i work 3rd shift. ok post an update later
Old 08-05-2006, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xspyder85x
yeah there is a huge space between the tweets and the mids but it sounds suprisingly good. i was skeptical about doing it, i thought the tweets would be too loud, but i did it anyways. the crossover (MTX of course) had a -3 decible setting on it so it would dim the tweets a little. the provide a really good surround effect. i do recommend this. i will try and get some pics of the rest of the system soon, i need to sleep, well play battlefield 2 first then sleep, i work 3rd shift. ok post an update later
I have my tweets in the sail panels attenuated -3 too. Actually when I had the Pioneer tweets I attenuated them, now I got some CDT's and I left them attenuated. One of these days I'll try them at full power and see how they sound although I suspect they will be too loud. The Pioneers I had were just too harsh and I wasn't sure if the harshness was from the path length difference or the tweeter itself - but it was the tweeter itself. One of these days I think I'm going to order a set of CDT braxials and have them in the door then have the tweets I have in the sail panels as imaging tweeters.

By the way, make sure you put some kind of speaker baffle behind those 6.5's in the door. I put mine in the same way you did, and just taped over the gaps at the top and bottom with some duck tape. Occasionally when it was pouring rain I would get water on my floor on the passenger side. I pulled the door panel off and found that rainwater would get inside the door, drip down on top of the back of the speaker, follow the back side of the speaker basket down, under the tape, and out onto the floor. I made a makeshift baffle out of tape until I get some baffles. Also, when you get the baffles, you should probably cut the bottom of them out or the output of the speaker will probably be attenuated due to less air space behind it.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:48 PM

nice setup,I was running kicker ks52 component set for a year now and they sound great but they were 5 1/4 so the bass suck.So monday I ve bought 2 6,5 midbass from peerless(pretty cheap 44$can each) but they sounds a lot better now.I have a little sugestion for your door setup,put some damping material to fill the gap between your speakers and the door,your 6.5 will sound better.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:29 PM

thanks, but i dont use the 6.5s for bass. i have an MTX 10" for that, it just adds the midranges, i do need to get baffles though and i plan to dynamat my doors soon.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:32 PM

hey qcpursuit, could you get an audio clip of your intake? i dont know how they sound on a 2.2, i plan on getting the injen soon.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:27 AM

does the open space around the 6.5's on the door (because of the odd speaker opening shape) make any difference in the sound quality from the speakers mounted there?