Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Sealed or Ported? Need some opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sealed or Ported? Need some opinions.

Well I know a far bit about both enclosures and have built both in the past along with one bandpass enclosure.

I just got my system in the mail that I'm going to be installing into my SS/SC.

2 x Alpine Type R's 12 Inch
Powered by a Hifonics BXi2006D

I really want this system to sound good as I'm kind of out of the whole loud bass thing and getting more into the performance side of cars now and really want the added thump to be there when I want it.

I mainly listen to rock and such but do listen to the occasional beat or what not with other people in the car.

So what do you guys would be better? Probably Sealed?
Old 04-28-2007, 12:00 PM

sealed is more for the rock side
ported is more for the rap ride
Old 04-28-2007, 01:00 PM

ported is more for a loose, drawn out booooooooooooooom.

sealed is more for a tighter, quick boom boom boom

if you understand that haha

ported is more for rap, where there is less beats but longer of a beat...

sealed is like for a song that has lots of beats, like high energy techno, not long drawn out bass.

personally, i like the drawn out boom, where the beats last longer, i would go with ported.
but its for rock, so sealed would be best for your application
Old 04-28-2007, 01:01 PM

Deff. go witha ported. I had a ported and I love rock music and it sounded awsome
Old 04-28-2007, 01:09 PM

Ported FTW!
Old 04-28-2007, 01:13 PM

Personally I loved my sealed box with 2 Rockford HX2's.

You also have to consider the room you have to work with. A sealed box will take up less space than a ported box. You also have to consider the length of the port for optimal response.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:53 PM

there is no sealed is for rock and ported is for rap crap. people say that because rule of thumb says that people that like rock arnt into the drawn out bass you get with a ported box. the same holds true with poeple who listen to rap, they more likely want the deep bass. you awnsered yourself if you dont want the deep bass go with the sealed. plus you can still have a very loud crisp bass with a sealed box, you cant have crisp bass in a ported box very easy! good luck
Old 04-28-2007, 02:58 PM
Banned

have a box for each sub and have one ported box and one sealed box but wire them together and get best of both world!! kinda like twincharging a cobalt!! hahahahha
Old 04-28-2007, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by intense_SS
have a box for each sub and have one ported box and one sealed box but wire them together and get best of both world!! kinda like twincharging a cobalt!! hahahahha
Um no. Running 2 different sound setups will most likely create some phasing problems, making things worse. Electrically it would work, but sound wise it could be worse.

Honestly my sealed setup was amazing for both rap and rock. Sealed really is the way to go IMO. Either way I would use a single box with the subs mounted the same direction, preferably facing down. You can design an slightly smaller box if you make it a down firing and still get the same response. Plus it doesn't rattle stuff as much because the speakers are vibrating the same direction the car was desinged to absorb vibration. Overall cleaner sound and little to no vibration in the mirrors.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok I had a ported 10" RF sub and it was awesome! Hit like a ton of bricks and sounded great no matter WHAT music I played.

I'd say PORTED FTMFW!!!!
Old 04-28-2007, 04:22 PM

I've heard both in the past and have had both in the past aswell. I'm just looking for peoples over all opinions, I dynamated my whole trunk and such. I love loud bass at times, but still love to get SQ where it's due. Mainly lookin for the best of both worlds. Is it possiable with sealed? or should I bite the bullet and go ported?
Old 04-28-2007, 04:41 PM

Like I said, I love sealed boxes. They hit hard and are responsive. They also take up less room.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Supercharged
Like I said, I love sealed boxes. They hit hard and are responsive. They also take up less room.
I must say I do agree with you, and this is also the reason that I think I'm gonna go sealed. I really want crisp HARD hittin bass.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Supercharged
Personally I loved my sealed box with 2 Rockford HX2's.

You also have to consider the room you have to work with. A sealed box will take up less space than a ported box. You also have to consider the length of the port for optimal response.
Gotta love the old school Fosgates, I have one 12" HX2 in the back of my balt and its sounds good, its in a custom ported box w/ correct airspace and tuned to 35hrtz
Old 04-28-2007, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rangerondubz
Gotta love the old school Fosgates, I have one 12" HX2 in the back of my balt and its sounds good, its in a custom ported box w/ correct airspace and tuned to 35hrtz
Yeah mine were 10" powered by an RF700X amp that was certified by Rockford putting out 901 RMS @ 2 Ohms. I ran a dual bridged setup since it was a 4 channel amp and ran the voice coils in series on each woofer. It sounded awesome even though the box was way too big. I wish I could have had the box built properly, but that is the only size the guy made for my truck and it was cheaper than buying the materials. I guess I can't complain too much. Now to find someone with an extended cab Ranger that wants a custom fit box...
Old 04-29-2007, 11:56 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by xmusic_addictx
I've heard both in the past and have had both in the past aswell. I'm just looking for peoples over all opinions, I dynamated my whole trunk and such. I love loud bass at times, but still love to get SQ where it's due. Mainly lookin for the best of both worlds. Is it possiable with sealed? or should I bite the bullet and go ported?
any pics of the dynamat? did you do the rear deck too?
Old 04-29-2007, 12:30 PM

If you are looking for sound quality the only way to go is a sealed box. it will give you an accurate reproduction of what was meant to be heard. It always drives me crazy when I see the loudness on and the bass and treble cranked up on a stereo. The studio that mixed that cd or dvd spent a ton of money hiring audio engineers to get just the right mix and then we just crank up the bass and treble and it sounds like ass. People buy ported boxes because they are louder. A ported box is more efficient because it moves more air. Bass is obviously all about moving air and when you can feel and sometimes see air flying out of that port when the bass hits hits it gonna be loud. The problem with a ported box as far as sound quality is that the box and the port itself have to be tuned to a certain frequency. The result is that every note that comes out of the box has a tendancy to sound like a note of that frequency. If your box is tuned to 32 htz than every note sounds like a 32 htz note. Listen to some new cds like this and then go to the stereo in your home or in a different setup and you will hear things you've never heard before on those tracks! If you want an accurate reproduction of what the artist intended than go with a sealed box. You've got a great setup and probably don't need the extra efficiency or volume that you will get by porting the box. If you want it to be as loud as possible, go with a ported box. Hope this helps
Old 04-29-2007, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by CullinanCut
If you are looking for sound quality the only way to go is a sealed box. it will give you an accurate reproduction of what was meant to be heard. It always drives me crazy when I see the loudness on and the bass and treble cranked up on a stereo. The studio that mixed that cd or dvd spent a ton of money hiring audio engineers to get just the right mix and then we just crank up the bass and treble and it sounds like ass. People buy ported boxes because they are louder. A ported box is more efficient because it moves more air. Bass is obviously all about moving air and when you can feel and sometimes see air flying out of that port when the bass hits hits it gonna be loud. The problem with a ported box as far as sound quality is that the box and the port itself have to be tuned to a certain frequency. The result is that every note that comes out of the box has a tendancy to sound like a note of that frequency. If your box is tuned to 32 htz than every note sounds like a 32 htz note. Listen to some new cds like this and then go to the stereo in your home or in a different setup and you will hear things you've never heard before on those tracks! If you want an accurate reproduction of what the artist intended than go with a sealed box. You've got a great setup and probably don't need the extra efficiency or volume that you will get by porting the box. If you want it to be as loud as possible, go with a ported box. Hope this helps

This is the post I was looking for, Thanks alot for the reply. I'm deffanately going sealed now, one cubic foot per sub is what I'm going for too. I know the subs are going to be powered sufficiently.

And I am actually just dynamating the trunk now, but I will take pictures of the progress as I am Dynamatting the WHOLE trunk, and hopefully double layering dynamat too. Thanks for all the responses.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:30 PM

lots of people recommend the type-rs be ported @ 35 hz. im lookin at gettin some myself.. same setup but with a 1606 brutus amp
Old 04-29-2007, 06:25 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
woah every not would sound liek a 32hz note? ive never herd that before but i think i know what you were trying to say.

Like cullcut stated for the best SQ you want to reproduce how it was originally done. A sealed box tends to have a much flatter responce curve where as the Tuned ported box will have a hump in the repsonce curve at tuning freq and will also dip in responce rather quickly.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:51 PM

Ya I understand what your both getting at, and it why i've decided to go with a sealed box. I've kinda moved outta my phase of crazy loud bass lol (not saying that ported doesnt sound good tho, cause I've heard some sound really good)
Old 04-29-2007, 07:19 PM

Right, the principle is much the same as when you put your lips up to a bottle and blow across the top, the sound is higher or lower in pitch depending on how much liquid is in the bottle. All boxes are tuned to a frequency but like emperor said the response curve for a sealed box is much flatter, it won't influence the sound as much. The first time somebody told me to put my head in a box I thought I was about to be the butt of a joke but give this a try if you haven't already. Pick up a mdf sealed box for a sub like a single 10 or 12. Put your head inside the box all the way like a helmet. Open your mouth and hum or sing or whatever, starting out high in pitch (or frequency) and go lower. At some point the box will resonate or fill with sound, it will almost vibrate in your hands and the sound of your voice will echo throughout the box. That frequency that you hit is the resonant frequency of that box. Every box is a little different that why the dimensions and the size of the box is so important. Also what you make the box out of makes a difference, that's why high quality home speakers always have wood speaker boxes and the cheaper ones are in plastic. Wood just sounds better. A lot of times the port is made out of plastic on a cheap box, but if you look at a nice ported box for a car they will use a slot port made all out of wood. The plastic used in the slot or the port will influence the sound of the notes played. For uninfluenced musical reproducion a sealed box is the best, but the slot ported box that my 10w7 originally came in was so loud people never believed that it was just a single 10!