Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

tablet to replace radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tablet to replace radio

Ok so I've seen it done on other sites, I went and bought a tablet, I have a cradle idea already.
none of my old cars mattered if I removed the radio
Is there nother way to maybe jump pins or something o I don't have to buy a harness, or is it plausible to enclose my stock headunit in something and run a harness to the trunk.
Any help would be awesome
Old 10-13-2011, 07:34 AM

iim not sure, but ive seen it done on youtube a couple times
Old 10-13-2011, 08:31 AM

I've been reading a lot about the wiring of the car I have a 05 ss, so what I've come up with is I don't need the stoc radio everything should still work(except chimes), I guess what I need is, is there a way to turn on the stock amp and tap the tablets audio jack into the spakers, I was thinking about splicing in rca end links and running those straight through to the tablets headphone jack.
Sorry if I'm scattered my add is kickin can't wait to get off work
Old 10-13-2011, 10:45 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
chimes will work regardless of if u have the radio in or not. and it might be a good idea to buy the harness anyway just because it would make it easier. I would look for a headphone jack to speaker wire (idk if they make that) and use that for sound. if not then the rca idea would work too you would just need to solder on to the rca, buy rca ends with speaker wire on the other side and wire it in like that or cut off the rca and solder to those wires.

As far as getting it to turn on and off with the car it depends on the tablet but id guess somewhat unlikely. if the tablet doesnt have any sort of remote out type deal then just run the stock amp on a switch or acc (or both)
Old 10-13-2011, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
chimes will work regardless of if u have the radio in or not. and it might be a good idea to buy the harness anyway just because it would make it easier. I would look for a headphone jack to speaker wire (idk if they make that) and use that for sound. if not then the rca idea would work too you would just need to solder on to the rca, buy rca ends with speaker wire on the other side and wire it in like that or cut off the rca and solder to those wires.

As far as getting it to turn on and off with the car it depends on the tablet but id guess somewhat unlikely. if the tablet doesnt have any sort of remote out type deal then just run the stock amp on a switch or acc (or both)
Ok, cool I'm not so worried about it turning off its like a phone the backlight will turn off which is good enough for me, but I want to try to use the stock amp what would I have to do to make it power on. Could I jump the pink amp wire to like a 12v ignition wire or wipers or something
Old 10-13-2011, 05:36 PM

would somethin like this be feasable on an 09SS? I was talkin to my dude earlier bout relocatin my radio to under the pass seat or somethin to keep the ability to use CD's or watever.. an jus havin an iPad or watever in the dash
Old 10-13-2011, 09:37 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
it would be more of a pain but its just as feasible as an 05... just not really a good idea in all honesty