Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

what alarm should i get??

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow what alarm should i get??

whats up..i was thinking what alarm would be good...i was thinking about these 3...Viper 5002 , Clifford Matrix 12.5X or the Python 902...all 3 are alarm systems without remote start and all are equipped with 2 way paging...which one you think is worth the money,also would it void my warranty if i were to have it installed by the store i buy it from instead of taking it to the GM dealer to install?

Heres the links to all 3
Viper 5002--> http://www.viper.com/Products/Produc...?ProductID=107

Clifford Matrix 12.5X--> http://www.clifford.com/Products/Pro...?ProductID=705

Python 902--> http://www.pythoncarsecurity.com/products/902.html

thanks!
Old 06-28-2007, 04:31 AM

shouldnt need an alarm on most any chevy they have the key disarm function. if YOUR key isnt in the ignition. it should never turn on. runs random codes between key and ignition. wont turn on if wrong key is used. well it shouldnt. not to mention the SS/sc has an security sytem stock. if u want to feel safer sure. it will decrease yer insurance too so it wont hurt to do it. just not much of a need i would say. but go for it. i had a viper on my eclipse. the remote would tell me what part of the car was touched. i liked it. it was only 670$ i felt safe as hell! i had it installed the DAY after my bros car got stolen. then i ended up trading the car in for my SS
Old 06-28-2007, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Punkloser6
shouldnt need an alarm on most any chevy they have the key disarm function. if YOUR key isnt in the ignition. it should never turn on. runs random codes between key and ignition. wont turn on if wrong key is used. well it shouldnt. not to mention the SS/sc has an security sytem stock. if u want to feel safer sure. it will decrease yer insurance too so it wont hurt to do it. just not much of a need i would say. but go for it. i had a viper on my eclipse. the remote would tell me what part of the car was touched. i liked it. it was only 670$ i felt safe as hell! i had it installed the DAY after my bros car got stolen. then i ended up trading the car in for my SS
yeah i know the stock ss s/c comes with it....i know they wont take the car but just for peace of mind i dont wanna spend $$$ on replacing my window every time someone thinks there like a million dollars in the car just by the way it looks...plus like posts i read before you never know if some kids/crackhead or anybody tries n mess with ur ride...(if id see them they will meet my .45 glock before my alarm siren stops)..also how about the warranty thats what i really wanna know about would it affect/void it
Old 06-28-2007, 06:34 AM

my friend had a viper alarm and a rock was thrown into her window, the dvd player was ripped out and the alarm was never set off. viper wont do anything for you unless the car is stolen either.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:48 AM

yo man...go with viper.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:06 AM

I heard cheap alarms **** with our cars somehow, electronically.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by xspyder85x
my friend had a viper alarm and a rock was thrown into her window, the dvd player was ripped out and the alarm was never set off. viper wont do anything for you unless the car is stolen either.
That is absolutely untrue. I beg to differ.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums//showthread.php?t=64691
Old 06-28-2007, 10:29 AM

her alarm prolly wasnt hook up rite..who put it in for her...a local shop? a lot of local shops around by me do that..they hook them up so they can be easily broken into...yeah its scary. my friend lost a lot of **** out of his m5..headrest,flipout, all of his subs n amps..they were all alpine type x and big amps. yes they took out the alarm too..wait it gets worse....they also ****** choped the turbo kit off as well..hmmm local shops are quite iffy. his car was found no joke found 35min away..how the hell do u do that man...thats crazy...but yeah he had a python alarm...then i put a viper in his and...yeah that hasnt happened now..its been almost a year.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by xspyder85x
Id say go with the Viper 2 way. It depends on 1. which type she had , 2. Like above how it was setup and 3. how strong the sensitivity was put on the car. When i first put mine on i put the sensitivity almost on full and the wind set the alarm off for a few days . lol. Put it down and a guy down the street, his car's exhaust set it off every time it passed by. But either way, if a skilled thief really wants steal your car, no system will stop em. (But you can always get a gps system and track em )
Old 06-29-2007, 04:25 AM

I'm by no means an alarms expert but I'm pretty sure that viper and python are the same exact alarms. They are made by DEI and carried at two major electronics stores; Circuit and Best Buy. The biggest difference in my opinion is that the alarm is only going to be as good as the installer. I would be far more concerned about who I let do the install than I would the product itself. If the alarm was properly hooked up you shouldn't have any complaints about any of those brand choices. Whenever you hear about somebody who had their stuff stolen and the alarm never went off it was usually because it wasn't hooked up right.

As far as warranty you will be just fine. The only things affected under warranty are the parts that are altered for the alarm. They don't tap into your ecu or anything for an alarm so you don't have to worry. For instance when I just had an alarm done on my Cobalt I had them add power locks because I bought an LS. Because of that the lock mechanism is no longer under warranty because I have modified it.

I would check out Compustar alarms as well. They have a great reputation for making top notch alarms and they have a 2 way paging alarm that has a remote start that is legal to do to a manual transmission. You have to push the brake, pull the ebrake leave it in neutral and get out of the car and the car stays running. After you set the alarm the car turns off. If anything changes than the remote start won't work, this ensures that you will never remote start while in gear and have your car drive into something. I bought a Compustar 2W900FMR installed with remote start, shock sensor, tilt sensor (so they can't steal your wheels!), starter kill, glass break sensor all the usual stuff and added power door locks and trunk pop all for around 500$ at a local shop. Good luck!
Old 06-29-2007, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by CullinanCut
I'm by no means an alarms expert but I'm pretty sure that viper and python are the same exact alarms. They are made by DEI and carried at two major electronics stores; Circuit and Best Buy. The biggest difference in my opinion is that the alarm is only going to be as good as the installer. I would be far more concerned about who I let do the install than I would the product itself. If the alarm was properly hooked up you shouldn't have any complaints about any of those brand choices. Whenever you hear about somebody who had their stuff stolen and the alarm never went off it was usually because it wasn't hooked up right.

As far as warranty you will be just fine. The only things affected under warranty are the parts that are altered for the alarm. They don't tap into your ecu or anything for an alarm so you don't have to worry. For instance when I just had an alarm done on my Cobalt I had them add power locks because I bought an LS. Because of that the lock mechanism is no longer under warranty because I have modified it.

I would check out Compustar alarms as well. They have a great reputation for making top notch alarms and they have a 2 way paging alarm that has a remote start that is legal to do to a manual transmission. You have to push the brake, pull the ebrake leave it in neutral and get out of the car and the car stays running. After you set the alarm the car turns off. If anything changes than the remote start won't work, this ensures that you will never remote start while in gear and have your car drive into something. I bought a Compustar 2W900FMR installed with remote start, shock sensor, tilt sensor (so they can't steal your wheels!), starter kill, glass break sensor all the usual stuff and added power door locks and trunk pop all for around 500$ at a local shop. Good luck!

thanks...i was thinking of buying the viper one and having it installed by dealer but they might rip me a new one with price...ill see what ill do..thanks for your info
Old 06-29-2007, 08:10 PM

benelli 12 gauge!
Old 06-29-2007, 10:07 PM

If you were closer to westchester,id install it for you for a small price.I just installed my clifford a few weeks ago.It was a pain in the ass.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:08 PM

compustar is the best
Old 06-30-2007, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by ptrblkz24
If you were closer to westchester,id install it for you for a small price.I just installed my clifford a few weeks ago.It was a pain in the ass.
Cliffords are a pain in the ass because they don't have any built in relays. You have to add relays for anything that you want it to do, so you usually end up with a bank of relays when you are done.

Originally Posted by xxboarderxx
compustar is the best

I have to agree with you here

Last edited by redSSBalt; 06-30-2007 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-30-2007, 01:01 AM

[QUOTE=redSSBalt;1175576]Cliffords are a pain in the ass because they don't have any built in relays. You have to add relays for anything that you want it to do, so you usually end up with a bank of relays when you are done.

Hell no.All the relays are built in.The only relays i had to add was one for the trunk release,one for the clutch bypass,and another one for an ignition 3 output because our cars have no starter wire to tap into.The only pain in the ass was adding diodes and a resistors for the dome light and the door locks to work.I know what alarm your talking about,but i forget the name.They had like 10 external relays for it to work.I wanna say it was the old school dei alarms.They were a pain in the ass to install.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get a trunk monkey!
Old 07-01-2007, 10:06 AM

[QUOTE=ptrblkz24;1175625]
Originally Posted by redSSBalt
Cliffords are a pain in the ass because they don't have any built in relays. You have to add relays for anything that you want it to do, so you usually end up with a bank of relays when you are done.

Hell no.All the relays are built in.The only relays i had to add was one for the trunk release,one for the clutch bypass,and another one for an ignition 3 output because our cars have no starter wire to tap into.The only pain in the ass was adding diodes and a resistors for the dome light and the door locks to work.I know what alarm your talking about,but i forget the name.They had like 10 external relays for it to work.I wanna say it was the old school dei alarms.They were a pain in the ass to install.
The old school DEI that you are talking about at least came with the relays. They may not have been built in, but at least you got them with the alarms. The Cliffords didn't even come with relays. Iknow it was the old school Cliffords, not sure about the newer ones.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:05 PM

[QUOTE=redSSBalt;1178283]
Originally Posted by ptrblkz24

The old school DEI that you are talking about at least came with the relays. They may not have been built in, but at least you got them with the alarms. The Cliffords didn't even come with relays. Iknow it was the old school Cliffords, not sure about the newer ones.
Nah man,even the old school cliffords had the relays built in.The first clifford i installed was back in 98-99,and all there relays were internal.I dont know if you were familar with the intelepage,but that was one sick alarm.You could assign your pager to it,and if you ever locked your keys in the car,you just call your beeper,type in a pin number and type open and your doorlocks would open up for you.It could start your car and all that **** too.That was back when clifford was clifford,not dei.The shop i used to work for would get over a thousand bucks for a clifford alarm with remote start.That **** was expensive back then.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:40 PM

Go with the Viper, I have one and it is great. Get the dual band radar sensor installed with it and if someone even gets to close to your car it will give them a warning chirp. If you were to park your car with your windows down and someone stuck there arm in your car the alarm will go off with that sensor. Trust me, I have it on my car.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:15 PM

[QUOTE=ptrblkz24;1179912]
Originally Posted by redSSBalt

Nah man,even the old school cliffords had the relays built in.The first clifford i installed was back in 98-99,and all there relays were internal.I dont know if you were familar with the intelepage,but that was one sick alarm.You could assign your pager to it,and if you ever locked your keys in the car,you just call your beeper,type in a pin number and type open and your doorlocks would open up for you.It could start your car and all that **** too.That was back when clifford was clifford,not dei.The shop i used to work for would get over a thousand bucks for a clifford alarm with remote start.That **** was expensive back then.

That might be when Clifford first started onboard relays....I am telling you from experience that the old school Cliffords didn't have onboard relays....I first started installing back in '94...And it wasn't in one of the Best Buy or Circuit City places either...It was for a specialized car audio and security store that is still there....