Forced Induction Turbos/Superchargers

always bewstin

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
Aren't you on a GT3076R?

No, but the car does have control over the Throttle Body.
yes i iz
Old 04-18-2010, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by mkriebs
This is true, yes. Throwing more boost at it won't help it.

BUT, adjusting the WG rod with less pretension will help it.
short term fix imo, another thing to check is the BOV spring if its properly speced, if its too soft it will blow off with very little vacuum, i know on the lsj i get almost 18inhg at idle and as high as 20-22inhg while cruising, needless to say i run a 9psi spring with no issues in the BOV.
another thing to not is loosening the tension on the wg rod will most likely cause boost to fall of at higher rpms especially when using a MBC.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by jimbos'ss
short term fix imo, another thing to check is the BOV spring if its properly speced, if its too soft it will blow off with very vacuum, i know on the lsj i get almost 18inhg at idle and as high as 20-22inhg while cruising, needless to say i run a 9psi spring with no issues in the BOV.
No, its not a short term fix. If he never got it adjusted right after the install, it needs adjusted. Not saying its going to fix it, but I think it will help. the BOV needs a softer spring so that the vacuum can blow it off easier. I think I said harder in the previous post... my bad.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:18 PM

No, its not a short term fix. If he never got it adjusted right after the install, it needs adjusted. Not saying its going to fix it, but I think it will help. the BOV needs a softer spring so that the vacuum can blow it off easier. I think I said harder in the previous post... my bad.
no, higher springrate will delay the BOV from blowing off to soon, i.e. under low loads or less than 1 bar actual. the only risk is running to high of a spring rate and the bov not opening under normal vacuum causing the turbo to surge.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:23 PM

short term fix imo, another thing to check is the BOV spring if its properly speced, if its too soft it will blow off with very little vacuum, i know on the lsj i get almost 18inhg at idle and as high as 20-22inhg while cruising, needless to say i run a 9psi spring with no issues in the BOV.
another thing to not is loosening the tension on the wg rod will most likely cause boost to fall of at higher rpms especially when using a MBC.
this is one of my issues as well
Old 04-18-2010, 01:24 PM

no, higher springrate will delay the BOV from blowing off to soon, i.e. under low loads or less than 1 bar actual. the only risk is running to high of a spring rate and the bov not opening under normal vacuum causing the turbo to surge.
Yeah, so he wants a lower one. he has a 7 lb spring in the WG, and prolly a 14lb spring in the BOV. Should be close to the same.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by BlackCobalt707
electronic boost controller my friend easiest cure. adjustable gain% makes them priceless in preventing it, also the solenoid does not work like a MBC allowing a boost leak to generate more boost, its a closed system so you will get better boost response.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:28 PM

Well, you are running quite a different setup, right? Do you have an internal WG? If so, you can adjust the rod to get rid of it falling down at higher rpm.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:29 PM

Yeah, so he wants a lower one. he has a 7 lb spring in the WG, and prolly a 14lb spring in the BOV. Should be close to the same.
a lower psi spring will make it sneeze more often, a higher psi spring will make it sneeze less but stronger sneeze.........best way i can explain it.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:29 PM

electronic boost controller my friend easiest cure. adjustable gain% makes them priceless in preventing it, also the solenoid does not work like a MBC allowing a boost leak to generate more boost, its a closed system so you will get better boost response.
This, and the WG rod. If the rod is not set to have enough pretension, then its gonna be open half the time.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:33 PM

This, and the WG rod. If the rod is not set to have enough pretension, then its gonna be open half the time.
meh you guys and your internally gated turbos. strong wastegate tension is important on them or else you will get boost falling off. on the other hand strong tension can also lead boost creap and boost spikes........external wg ftw.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:36 PM

meh you guys and your internally gated turbos. strong wastegate tension is important on them or else you will get boost falling off. on the other hand strong tension can also lead boost creap and boost spikes........external wg ftw.
Agreed. I will only run an external if I go anything larger than a GT28. the lil K04 doesnt need one though.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MAF sensor issue? MAP sensor issue?
Old 04-18-2010, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tundraboarder666
MAF sensor issue? MAP sensor issue?
No. Neither of these have anything to do with boost on the LAP.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:56 PM

yes im internally gated and i do have a AEM EBC. but im bout to put my car up on ramps and see if i can adjust the wga rod any more. it should be fully closed but just in case ima check. im liking this thread, givin me plenty of info. thanks guys, please continue with the conversation
Old 04-18-2010, 01:57 PM

HOLY **** GUYS!!! im confused now one says do it one says dont.. lmao... the wga rod is in the same position it was when i got it... the bov is the factory one that is recirculated... should i maybe get the dejon spring? thanks for all the answers so far.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by 09blackonblack
HOLY **** GUYS!!! im confused now one says do it one says dont.. lmao... the wga rod is in the same position it was when i got it... the bov is the factory one that is recirculated... should i maybe get the dejon spring? thanks for all the answers so far.
IMO we gave you a ton of info to base your decision, take your time read it over do what is right for your situation.
for every solution we gave an explanation

yes im internally gated and i do have a AEM EBC. but im bout to put my car up on ramps and see if i can adjust the wga rod any more. it should be fully closed but just in case ima check. im liking this thread, givin me plenty of info. thanks guys, please continue with the conversation
does it have adjustable gain% of some sort, not that familiar with the AEM, once setup it should limit boost fall off at higher rpms to around 1-2 psi. all things working correctly.

Last edited by jimbos'ss; 04-18-2010 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-18-2010, 03:08 PM

after the bov releases it does fine... which is weird

IMO we gave you a ton of info to base your decision, take your time read it over do what is right for your situation.
for every solution we gave an explanation

does it have adjustable gain% of some sort, not that familiar with the AEM, once setup it should limit boost fall off at higher rpms to around 1-2 psi. all things working correctly.
no doubt... plenty of info... while cruising in town i figured out that if i bump the throttle to boost and blow off it will cruise through town perfect at 10# vacuum... which leads me to believe its more of a bov issue... i also have the boost gauge tied into the bov... could that be causing a false read on the gauge and the bov to not be working properly?

Last edited by 09blackonblack; 04-18-2010 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-18-2010, 03:32 PM

Yes it does, but currently I'm using a mbc because it seems to work better
Old 04-18-2010, 03:49 PM

ok guys, heres what im going to do... back the nut on the wga rod 1/2 -1 turn and order the dejon spring to increase the pressure on the bpv and install the mbc i have. and cross my fingers.

im using a thin silicon hose for my bov which ive thought it could be possible that its collapsing under vacuum and bleeding off the suction on the bpv causing it to build boost too soon...
Old 04-18-2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by 09blackonblack
after the bov releases it does fine... which is weird

no doubt... plenty of info... while cruising in town i figured out that if i bump the throttle to boost and blow off it will cruise through town perfect at 10# vacuum... which leads me to believe its more of a bov issue... i also have the boost gauge tied into the bov... could that be causing a false read on the gauge and the bov to not be working properly?
sounds like something is going on with the bov to me as well, i'd run the boost guage on a separate line as the bov for sure.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:00 PM

i took out the spring and checked the rubber flapper... its fine, but while i had it out i stretched the spring some to add more force to it, and guess what... it helped it a bunch on the in town driving... tomorrow i will add another nipple for the boost gauge and see if that helps any. i dont think the turbo is too small, i think its just not properly set up/ almost too small... cant wait to hit 12 psi! i might cream all over myself.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:05 PM

looks like jimbo wrapped this one up!

How germany treating you?
Old 04-18-2010, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by hungryhip-ccp

yep jimbo helped the situation, its better but i think i either need to add a washer or a stiffer spring.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by hungryhip-ccp

good actually, had a little fun with the balt a couple weeks back, 2 1/2 hour cannonball run to the border of austria averaging 120mph........that'll test your motor lol