Forced Induction Turbos/Superchargers

Smoking Issue (lsj turbo)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EXsoccer1921
lol you just told him to block it off and then told him to run a catch can. if you're running a breather filter all you'll need is to route the pcv hose back to the intake, pre turbo.
Port on the head not the valve cover...

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
The stock breather system is crap. And don't use the Oil Cap Breather. Its a band-aid for a larger problem. Doesn't really fix anything... and it can end up blowing oil all over your valve cover.
Why does ZZP run ONLY a breather filter? On thier sub 900 lsj...

The only thing you are trying to do is get of crank case pressure build up. So plug the PCV hole on the intake flange, run a breather, and route line from the back of the valve cover to the turbo intake (I run a catch can inline). No need to do anymore, unless you want to make 1000+hp...
Old 08-09-2011, 06:42 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
Pretty sure Ryan doesn't run a breather filter, he runs an AN line down to a catch can. I've seen Ryan's car in-person and talked to him about what he has done to it. And I'm not saying that won't work... I'm just saying its not the best. They're also running a race prepped engine... not a stock engine.

The proper way to do it, is the way I outlined. You aren't just trying to get rid of the pressure build up... you want there to be a vacuum in the bottom end... for various reasons. That'll give you the most power, as well. GM outlined this in the build book. The stock LSJ PCV system is not very good, and that tiny port on the back of the valve cover is useless. It narrows as it enters the valve cover... its not even as big as the hole on the outside.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:06 PM

Pretty sure Ryan doesn't run a breather filter, he runs an AN line down to a catch can. I've seen Ryan's car in-person and talked to him about what he has done to it. And I'm not saying that won't work... I'm just saying its not the best. They're also running a race prepped engine... not a stock engine.

The proper way to do it, is the way I outlined. You aren't just trying to get rid of the pressure build up... you want there to be a vacuum in the bottom end... for various reasons. That'll give you the most power, as well. GM outlined this in the build book. The stock LSJ PCV system is not very good, and that tiny port on the back of the valve cover is useless. It narrows as it enters the valve cover... its not even as big as the hole on the outside.
I talked with Ryan, Matt, and Tim all weekend at CED this year. They don't run a catch can anymore because they didn't see any difference in running just the breather cap and running catch can set up.

Also to properly take car of gases when the turbo isn't spooled you should have a line with a check valve going to the intake manifold to ensure that the lines going to the valve cover are pulling enough vacuum to pull all the gases.

In the end it is all about getting rid of crank case pressure...
Old 08-09-2011, 08:18 PM

rob you are so cute
Old 08-09-2011, 10:51 PM

okay, rob, i have a couple of questions b/c I believe I just got lost a little bit. Concerning the lsj's pcv system, there's another place besides that tiny pecker on the valve cover where it vents crankcase pressure? If so, then where? Perhaps a pic would help my simple mind...

I don't mind reworking the pcv system if it'll fix the smoking issue I'm having. However, I'm just not 100% sure the problem is stemming from crankcase pressure, or merely too much oil pressure in the feed line. Does that even make a difference in diagnosing this problem, because to me, that sounds like the difference between needing a restrictor on the oil line and re-working the entire pcv system. Perhaps, can anybody shed light on how much oil pressure this turbo needs to run efficiently?
Old 08-09-2011, 10:54 PM

Valve cover only has that one breather on the lsj's
Old 08-09-2011, 11:01 PM

well where in the "bottom end" is rob suggesting to run a vacuum from?
Old 08-09-2011, 11:38 PM

if you have a proper AOS system going it will vent enough that you will never have to worry about it
Old 08-11-2011, 04:25 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Originally Posted by jmarks
I talked with Ryan, Matt, and Tim all weekend at CED this year. They don't run a catch can anymore because they didn't see any difference in running just the breather cap and running catch can set up.

Also to properly take car of gases when the turbo isn't spooled you should have a line with a check valve going to the intake manifold to ensure that the lines going to the valve cover are pulling enough vacuum to pull all the gases.

In the end it is all about getting rid of crank case pressure...
Well, in there set-up... yeah, I guess it wouldn't matter either way... because they just had a filter on top of the catch can, and didn't have it routed back to a source of vacuum, iirc. It works... but its not the most effective. I like those guys and they are doing wonders for the community... but just because they do something one way, doesn't make it the most effective, or make it the only way to do something.

And when the turbo isn't fully spooled... its still spinning and creating vacuum. OEM connects to the Intake Piping for a reason: its effective. Running the line to the intake tube versus the intake manifold shouldn't make much of a difference... one will just cost you more because you need a check valve.

Getting rid of crankcase pressure is just the start. Having the crankcase in a state of vacuum while running WOT is where you will see the most gain. That's why I recommend what I recommend.

Originally Posted by Cefaln452
Valve cover only has that one breather on the lsj's
There's another one on the Intake Manifold Flange. Smaller than most pinkies are wide. Blocked off by most Sheetmetal I/M's.

Originally Posted by mexi_loco
well where in the "bottom end" is rob suggesting to run a vacuum from?
I'm saying that you want your bottom end/crankcase to be in a vacuum state. It benefits the piston's ability to move up and down... mostly down. It doesn't have to try to fight pressure.

AN fitting on the Valve Cover... run it to a sealed catch can (not one with a breather on it, that defeats the purpose)... and then connect that to either your intake, or a vacuum pump that's activated via Hobbs Switch. Vacuum pump way is effective, but still requires you to figure something out for when you're idling (this is wear the front fitting with a check valve, connected to the I/M comes in). Some people just connect the other end of the vacuum pump up to the intake though. Saw that on an LSx Set-up.

Last edited by USMCFieldMP; 08-11-2011 at 05:05 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:19 AM

so you sincerely believe this is being caused by crankcase pressure and not too much pressure flowing through the feed line? At least that's what it sounds like since you're recommending working on the pcv system.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Its hard to say for sure with an internet diagnostic... but I really don't think its from too much oil pressure going into the turbo.

A good PCV system is required anyway. I ran the Filter on the back of the VC before... Ryan even put a Filter on my Oil Filler for me when it was up there. It worked great at eliminating the smoking issue that I had, for the most part. But it also covered the back of the engine block and my valve cover in oil. You're no longer pressurizing the block... you're now blowing all that air out of those filters. They eventually get soaked in Oil... and that's when things start getting covered in oil.

Blazin did his system, just as I have PLANNED on doing mine from the beginning, I just never got around to it (disadvantage of being lazy ). When the car hits the streets again this fall, you can bet your ass my PCV system will be set-up the same as his. Like I said before, its recommended that way in GM's Ecotec Build Book, as well... so its not like we're making this crap up.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:55 PM

There's another one on the Intake Manifold Flange. Smaller than most pinkies are wide. Blocked off by most Sheetmetal I/M's.
I know of that one... He was just asking about the VC
Old 08-14-2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
vids soon! got a couple things to do this weekend and get the exhaust welded up

okay, rob, this is what you're proposing to do, right? I noticed he actually routed the pcv line possibly to one of his charge pipes (I'm assuming). But what about the bigger line that's routed into his oil cap?
Old 08-14-2011, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thay're both going to a breather can

Old 08-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

He didn't route them to a charge pipe... and don't do that. That would essentially boost/pressurize your block.

He ran both lines to a catch can that's mounted in front of the trans. I do not believe he routed his back to connect to the intake pipe. The line coming out of the Oil Cap does the same thing as the other one... just gives more room, for more pressure to escape.

If you can find pics of Area47's Cobalt, he did it, as well. Ran a -12AN line from his VC to a catch can, and then to his intake pipe.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:40 PM

sry, I'll look a little harder next time. Can't believe I didn't see those other pics in the same thread, :facepalm:

I tried looking in his garage for some albums, but the only engine shot I think is old, because I don't see anything special about the pcv system. I see what you mean about josh's system though. Basically what makes the factory pcv system is the size of the breather on the valve. Bigger hoses and a bigger outlet means more crankcase pressure being allowed to exit. Right? Catchcan is there to catch any blow-by.

So I can keep the way my system is set up, just need bigger lines and a bigger catch can?
Old 08-14-2011, 11:43 PM

One more thing...right now I just blocked off that pcv hole that goes into the head (the one that's normally blocked by sheet metal intakes). Should that be used for anything, or should I just continue to block that thing off?
Old 08-14-2011, 11:56 PM

One more thing...right now I just blocked off that pcv hole that goes into the head (the one that's normally blocked by sheet metal intakes). Should that be used for anything, or should I just continue to block that thing off?
Keep it blocked off.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:34 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

sry, I'll look a little harder next time. Can't believe I didn't see those other pics in the same thread, :facepalm:

I tried looking in his garage for some albums, but the only engine shot I think is old, because I don't see anything special about the pcv system. I see what you mean about josh's system though. Basically what makes the factory pcv system is the size of the breather on the valve. Bigger hoses and a bigger outlet means more crankcase pressure being allowed to exit. Right? Catchcan is there to catch any blow-by.

So I can keep the way my system is set up, just need bigger lines and a bigger catch can?
Catch Can is there to catch the oil that comes out with the air... because most people don't want oil in their intake system.

The important thing to remember, is not to hook any of the lines up to any piping that sees boost. You want them connected to the turbo's intake pipe... so its in an almost constant state of vacuum.

You can keep it blocked off... or you can thread it, put a fitting in, and run it the same way as all the others. I threaded and plugged mine.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:02 PM

update:

tried to drive the car to the mechanic's today to look at it and talk about the pcv system (along with some guage installs). Stupid me didn't check the oil level first, and when i got a couple miles outside my house, I heard some knock. Don't know if it's the engine or the turbo taking a ****. But I had to put about 2-3 quarts of oil in. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:08 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

You heard knock? Or you heard an Oil-less valvetrain?
Old 08-20-2011, 06:55 PM

i'm not exactly sure what or where the knock was coming from. All I know is that I heard something, I checked the oil level and it was low. I filled it up and drove home, and then checked the level again. The level was fine, so I don't know what it could be at this point. I'm having it towed to my mechanic soon, and we'll start diagnosing from there. We plan on checking the turbo first just to make sure.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

does it still "knock" after you filled it up?
Old 08-20-2011, 07:17 PM

yes it does.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member

hmmm, yep no bueno lol

Quick Reply: Smoking Issue (lsj turbo)