Forced Induction Turbos/Superchargers

sts turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 03:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I emailed them, should get a response soon. I'm going to talk with someone from STS and see what they have and/or can come up with just for either more options, or to see what kind of potential we can get with a rear mount on a small displacement motor such as ours.

I know they're a good company, my buddy has been talking about going with them for a rear mount for his 00 Camaro Z28.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by cakeeater
sts will help you out alot with turbo choices. I don't wanna give any recomendations because i dont have experience with remote mount setups, but it will be quite a bit smaller. They will know what to set you up with, but really i would go with a traditional turbo kit unless you are looking for something unique.
not really looking for something unique, just wanna make good power, i know that my current header flows a lot, so when i saw this setup i figured it would be perfect. i love my pacesetter armorcoat header.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:07 AM

Had a STS turbo kit on my 94 Sentra SE-R and was putting down over 350whp with 11psi... Dont know about efficiency but most of the SR20DET guys running t3/t4 traditional setups barely make 280whp.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:11 AM

My friend has one on his 6.0 goat....8 psi I belive and that thing HAULS ASSSS. The turbo is so loud it's unbelievable....sounds like a jet..you can't even hear his exhaust
Old 08-27-2007, 05:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
isnt this the same setup that that vendor maximum boost was selling? adam warned everyone never to buy it...this was back when i first came to these forums
Old 08-27-2007, 05:33 AM

No it is not. STS rear mount turbos is a highly respected company. Their setups allow for turboing cars which dont necessarily have the room to do so. Primarily being used in Corvettes, Vipers, Camaros, and TA's. They have a universal system that will work with the cobalts. Well except the LS and LT's. But if HPTuners really does release a update to tune LS/LT's I will definitly be getting the STS setup like I had on my Sentra.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:21 AM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is actually pretty old news guys. I first reported this kit, with those same pictures, nearly a year ago now.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l-l61-performance-tech-45/l61-turbo-super-forced-induction-information-thread-26325/

They use a universal kit, so it is not application specific. They also use a 5th injector, piggyback operated fuel control, which I'm really just not a big fan of.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STS has been doing this for years, lots and lots or respect out there for them.

the system is LESS efficient then a standerd system, thats a given fact.

how ever when you go to spec a rear mount turbo you take that efficiency drop into you calculations(vary easy to factor in) and spec the turbo accordingly.

i had wanted this style of a set up at first, but as things got rolling the efficiency drop steared me away from it and toward a standerd system.

vary easy set up to work with tho......and yes this is OLDDDDD information

they did that car for SEMA 1-2yr ago.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:38 PM

my buddy has one on his camaro... sounds like a freakin jet on takeoff...he runs 12's on radials at 7psi...no motor work watsoever
Old 08-27-2007, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Sloco Productions
my buddy has one on his camaro... sounds like a freakin jet on takeoff...he runs 12's on radials at 7psi...no motor work watsoever
only 12's....?
Old 08-27-2007, 03:54 PM

I think it's cool that 2.2 and 2.4 guys put a blower on but it really doesn't make sense for a 2.0 guy to swap out his SC for a turbo...you will never recover the $ and resale value will drop like a rock. If you want a turbo so bad get an SRT4
Old 08-27-2007, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by cakeeater
only 12's....?
Considering a stock Z28 runs like 14's, then running 12's on a simple turbo setup sounds about right.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by BlackedOutCoby
Considering a stock Z28 runs like 14's, then running 12's on a simple turbo setup sounds about right.
what is it a 3rd gen?
Old 08-27-2007, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by jimbos'ss
doc told me about this company last night so i googled them. they have allready done one balt as you can see in the pictures for the universal turbo kit link....check it out.
http://www.ststurbo.com/home

this looks like an awesome system with a lot of potential, and the best this is i don't have to get a new header and downpipe, just an axle back.

so what do you guys think
hey is that the oil return line from the turbo going into the oil cap, on top of the motor, if so that sure beats having to drill and tap your oil pan, and is that a good idea?
Old 08-27-2007, 10:29 PM

If this is such an old topic, did anyone ever get any info on the cobalt in the pics?
Old 08-27-2007, 10:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lewisb13
That has GOT to be incredibly inefficient.
Greatest Statement about STS
Old 08-28-2007, 12:06 AM
Banned

wonder what tuneing that is on the 2.2 they got there.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Delta2.2
wonder what tuneing that is on the 2.2 they got there.
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...5&postcount=57
Old 08-28-2007, 12:21 AM
Doc

thats helpful

here is another thread and a direct link
Old 08-28-2007, 12:36 AM

STS just posted up pics of what a customer did to a cobalt. I had contactd them recently and they said that the customer was the one who did the 5th injector and the oil tap on the cover, for the return. He used the piggyback smt-7 i believe and thier stage 2 kit. It can be used on our cars and has great power capabilities, but no tune for the 2.2ls, unfortunately.

As fo the elements. i 've been reading on the GTO forum and they said they haven't had any problems with water, dirt or debris. If deep water is an issues they offer a filter relocation.....but consider that the GTO is pretty low itself and the turbo would be replacing our "keg" in the back. lol.

HP tuners needs to get on the ball for the 2.2L guys....

Last edited by lil_kano; 08-28-2007 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:43 AM

For all of those that say this is extremely inneficient, maybe you should do a little research. A good majority of the Camaros, TA's, Vette's and GTO's today are going with rear mount Turbo's. Very good gains, less heat to deal with, and saves room in the engine bay. I'm not too sure how much of a difference, if any, it would be rear mounting a turbo on a smaller displacement motor though.

They also did the universal kit a while back on the HHR, which they had to give up on for the time being because of lack of tuning capabilites. The turbo equiped HHR actually put down less HP then the stock HHR, which was the deciding factor to bring that to a halt.

One more comment. JKennedy, if we were all so worried about the resale value on our cars, do you really think we would be looking into a good majority of these mods? lol...There is absolutely nothing wrong with going turbo on an SS/SC for efficiency reasons. Just because it was supercharged from the factory doesn't mean that she has to stay that way nor that GM SHOULD have put her into production that way. I am NOT a Dodge fan, but I will give credit where credit is due. The SRT's can be nasty, but no comparison for looks, originality, and being the underestimated that we deal with. I plan to go turbo, oh yeah I do. The potential of going turbo with our cars capabilities is out the roof.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1gmfanatik
For all of those that say this is extremely inneficient, maybe you should do a little research. A good majority of the Camaros, TA's, Vette's and GTO's today are going with rear mount Turbo's. Very good gains, less heat to deal with, and saves room in the engine bay. I'm not too sure how much of a difference, if any, it would be rear mounting a turbo on a smaller displacement motor though.

They also did the universal kit a while back on the HHR, which they had to give up on for the time being because of lack of tuning capabilites. The turbo equiped HHR actually put down less HP then the stock HHR, which was the deciding factor to bring that to a halt.

One more comment. JKennedy, if we were all so worried about the resale value on our cars, do you really think we would be looking into a good majority of these mods? lol...There is absolutely nothing wrong with going turbo on an SS/SC for efficiency reasons. Just because it was supercharged from the factory doesn't mean that she has to stay that way nor that GM SHOULD have put her into production that way. I am NOT a Dodge fan, but I will give credit where credit is due. The SRT's can be nasty, but no comparison for looks, originality, and being the underestimated that we deal with. I plan to go turbo, oh yeah I do. The potential of going turbo with our cars capabilities is out the roof.
how the hell does any of that relate back to system efficiency?

maybe you should learn the physics behind a turbo and a turbo system then you'll understand why, and how the efficiency of the system drops.

its not a MASSIVE drop but the fact that you must re-spec a turbo for an application like that should give you some foresight into this issue.

saying "a majority of V8 cars are making gains of this system" is a clear statement of the ****** obvious.

regardless of efficiency when you start shoving air down a motor then of course you'll make more power.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by 06black
how the hell does any of that relate back to system efficiency?

maybe you should learn the physics behind a turbo and a turbo system then you'll understand why, and how the efficiency of the system drops.

its not a MASSIVE drop but the fact that you must re-spec a turbo for an application like that should give you some foresight into this issue.

saying "a majority of V8 cars are making gains of this system" is a clear statement of the ****** obvious.

regardless of efficiency when you start shoving air down a motor then of course you'll make more power.
I'm sorry Eddie but I have to agree with him.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:19 AM
Banned

Squires Turbo Systems AKA STS are some of the best turbos out there, They have kits out for all the big V8's

Originally Posted by jimbos'ss
it will create more horsepower through less heat is my understanding, and i also understand that exhaust velosity is the same at anypoint in your exhaust. i may be wrong though. according to there sight it spools up just as good as any other turbo set up. another thing this kit does is allows you more room to mount much larger turbo's
ie gt35 or gt40

i'm not to concerned about that. most thieves wouldn't look under your car for a turbo kit.
most thieves know what there ******* with before they do it , by saying that means he probably KNOWS you have the turbo under the tire , he also probably knows how fast your car is

Last edited by Red2.4SS/SC; 08-28-2007 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-28-2007, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by BlackedOutCoby
If you are talking about an LS1 f-body, you are severely misinformed. There have been stock f-bodies running 12 second timeslips (perfect conditions, and a perfect launch). So if your friend can only get 12's out of a turbo ls1 he needs to work on his driver mod, badly.

Quick Reply: sts turbo