Twincharged
16.56%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

turbo or supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sw4y
twincharging is ment to use the instant torque of the SC for the low end and a larger turbo for the high end. Not the other way around because a roots blower is not a high end beast like a nicely sized turbo is. I would just stay turbo, and see what you can get outta the TD04. My TD04 is good for about 320hp, but thats pushing it. So thats why the procharger is coming in =P
whoops, logged into wrong account...
Old 12-04-2007, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sw4y1313
whoops, logged into wrong account...
lol i was like wtf
Old 12-04-2007, 03:58 PM

yeah why would you type that

lol
Old 12-04-2007, 04:52 PM

well if you look at how many posts that account has, doesnt look so good haha. So i logged into my main account. Thats all.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:23 PM

its close...really close...i for one am leaning towards a supercharger...in fact i'll be looking for one come Feb/March along with the intake manifold and the heat exchanger
Old 12-06-2007, 09:34 PM

Supercharger
Old 12-07-2007, 12:37 PM

even though superchargers are designed to give you power through out your rpms i dont think you can beat the thrill and pull of a turbo charger
Old 12-11-2007, 07:41 PM

LNF
LSJ

its simple math
Old 12-11-2007, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by lilstink0529
even though superchargers are designed to give you power through out your rpms i dont think you can beat the thrill and pull of a turbo charger
Its funny.. America is the only car market that "likes" turbo lag. Every other country sees it as a problem.. all of europe, japan, etc..

The reason people think the turbo pulls so hard is becuase of the 5 seconds they wait for it to kick in.. Its like a roller coaster.. you sit at the top for a long time and it amplifies the effect in your mind.

One key note, a supercharger will have the same torque in every gear.. time after time. A turbo, the faster you rev, the less torque you will make. Especially in 1st and 2nd gear.. by the time your in 4th or 5th you will FINALLLY be getting close to the "RATED" torque and power of your engine..
Old 12-13-2007, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by TVS_SS
Its funny.. America is the only car market that "likes" turbo lag. Every other country sees it as a problem.. all of europe, japan, etc..

The reason people think the turbo pulls so hard is becuase of the 5 seconds they wait for it to kick in.. Its like a roller coaster.. you sit at the top for a long time and it amplifies the effect in your mind.

One key note, a supercharger will have the same torque in every gear.. time after time. A turbo, the faster you rev, the less torque you will make. Especially in 1st and 2nd gear.. by the time your in 4th or 5th you will FINALLLY be getting close to the "RATED" torque and power of your engine..
In a 5 speed car if you aren't hitting your target boost, torque, and hp by third then you need to have a chat with your tuner. And as always a properly sized turbo will minimize/eliminate lower boost in 1st and 2nd. There are other things you can do as well, such as P&Ping select parts, wrapping headers, having a quality boost controler. Of course once you go big turbo you can forget about smoother power delivery on a 4 cyl platform. And the reason people think turbos pull hard is because they, well, do. If they didn't SRT-Neons wouldn't be so hot in a straight line, neither would any other turbo equiped car for that matter.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:55 AM

I dont really understand the "turbo lag" argument...or maybe I just don't know how turbos work.

even with a huge turbo wouldn't it be better to hit full boost by ~4500 vs at redline (supercharger)?? And its not like you're not making boost below 4500 its just not full boost.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
running a smaller a/r housing on the hot side will reduce lag, but also hinder topend performance and over all ability to make power.

::shrugs:: just throwin that out there
Old 12-13-2007, 03:56 PM

^^Robbing Peter to pay Paul. It's a game of how far right do you want your power, and much of it can you can swing back to the left once you go big.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:05 PM

myspace.com/jvcougar

UHM YEAH TURBOS GIVE U MORE POWER CUZ THEY CAN HANDLE HIGHER PSI,BUT THEY ALSO HEAT UR ENGINGE FASTER,THEY HAVE LAG,MORE COMPLICATED TO INSTALL AND U HAVE TO REPLACE THE TURBINE ONCE IN A WHILE

SOM I'M STICKING WITH MY SUPERCHARGER >=]
Old 12-13-2007, 04:11 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by berto

myspace.com/jvcougar

UHM YEAH TURBOS GIVE U MORE POWER CUZ THEY CAN HANDLE HIGHER PSI,BUT THEY ALSO HEAT UR ENGINGE FASTER,THEY HAVE LAG,MORE COMPLICATED TO INSTALL AND U HAVE TO REPLACE THE TURBINE ONCE IN A WHILE

first off. for the love of god learn how to post.

second, stop typing caps.

third, learn the facts before spewing info that really doesn't make an sense, nor have an y basis behind it.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by berto

myspace.com/jvcougar

they won't heat your engine faster if you know what you are doing...my turbo is oil feed and water cooled...yeah it will be a few degrees warmer but if you have a good cooling system...it won't make much of a difference....yes they are a bit complicated to install but a full on s/c setup with intercooler/aftercooler, all pulley systems, tensioners, lines, tune, etc. can be just as complicated a setup...after all we aren't talking about the blowers that pop grew up with in the 70's...the lag issue shouldn't be bad in this case, my turbo is a quick spool turbo, like around the 2500rpm mark and will be producing probably more boost then than your s/c will be...and if you are nice to the turbo you shouldn't have to replace the turbine just the floating bearings and maybe get it rebalanced but the same is true for the s/c setup as well...after awhile you will have to replace the needle bearings, and maybe the blower blades...not to mention the gears and spindle...

so do a bit more research and try again...
Old 12-14-2007, 01:02 PM

Thumbs down

you might need a little bigger turbo, thats whats in my miata and its a thousand pounds lighter..
Old 12-14-2007, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by IonNinja
I dont really understand the "turbo lag" argument...or maybe I just don't know how turbos work.

even with a huge turbo wouldn't it be better to hit full boost by ~4500 vs at redline (supercharger)?? And its not like you're not making boost below 4500 its just not full boost.

turbo's are a non-linear device... they rely on exhaust gas to spin the turbine... to spool the turbo, it requires a certain amount of exhaust gas to spin the turbo.. now the quicker you try to get the turbo up to speed, more of the energy is being placed into spinning the turbo 'inertia' up to speed. (i.e. turning it into kinetic energy)

The thing people dont realize is that the torque and power curves that OEM's show are "STEADY STATE".. even the OEM's admit that you wont hit those values in first gear..

I'm not saying you cant make awesome power with a turbo.. only that it will vary with how fast your engine accelerates...
Old 12-14-2007, 10:17 PM

^^First gear is so short anyways that my heart isn't terribly broken that I'm missing 3 or 4 psi of boost, even though I may not be at full boost, there's still plenty of pull in 1st gear.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by StinkBOMB
^^First gear is so short anyways that my heart isn't terribly broken that I'm missing 3 or 4 psi of boost, even though I may not be at full boost, there's still plenty of pull in 1st gear.
my point exactly......you may not hit "full pull" in 1st unless you know how to launch without spinning...but it's not 1st that counts in most aspects...it's 2nd and 3rd on the strip that is going to bring bread to your table
Old 12-20-2007, 07:36 PM

I am just gona stick with the Supercharger, I think turbo's are more ''Ricey'' <------- My Opinion
Old 12-24-2007, 01:22 PM

so the Fedex gods were kind to me today and finally delivered my wastegate actuator and oil feed lines for the turbo project, looks like i'm running 8psi
of course now i have to fabricate the mounting bracket to hold it on the turbo and mod it to be able to fit on the wastegate itself (hole is a bit too small) but it looks good

now just waiting on the intercooler, bov, and a trip to home depot for the oil tree fittings, bolts,screws, crush washers, rubber hoses for the coolant lines, and my flanges for the downpipe and then to order the fabled aem f/ic and tune...then i'll be running the only 07 2.2 turbo that i know of
Old 12-25-2007, 05:34 PM

ive talked to a few honda guys who have turboed there cars and they say that when out of boost u can actually get better gas milage....a great part of turbos is u can daily drive them out of boost and still get the same gas milage....and on the weekends/when u want u can get into boost and blow cars away....

so its....constant boost.....or boost when u want it to happen....and once u go turbo ull never go back...and turbos u can always upgrade the turbo as u build the motor....ur just kinda stuck with the
M62

and yea the whine is cool but when u are in a race and u can hide the turbo....thats the best....they hear the pshhh and they know there screwed lol

Last edited by Sloco Productions; 12-25-2007 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-26-2007, 01:17 AM

so comes in every guys life when they upgrade the exhaust...i have decided to not purchase a commercial exhaust kit...but...i will build my own with exceptions of the cat and muffler...2.5" from turbo back
Old 12-26-2007, 05:28 AM

i had 3 inch straight(no cat/muffler) on my turbo Z24 cavalier....u will love the sound....the spooling can be heard for miles....

Quick Reply: turbo or supercharged