General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

2010 Cobalt SS vs. 2010 Mustang V6

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Cobalt SS vs. 2010 Mustang V6

Not a fair fight - Mustang will cross over to the other side of the street to run away... tale between it's legs..... Crying for it's big V8 brother to come save it.

BUT... 2010 Cobalt SS vs. 2011 Mustang V6

Um... not saying you should just let that stallion gallop on by of course... Our Balts will hang right with it - however.. it will now be a real fight! Just got my new Motor Trend... very impressive machine.. starting at $22,995 and as tested $25,385.

I prefer my SS and will keep it until I have to bury it - or it buries me (different car class than the pony car's anyways) - No denying though.. Stang is a darn good performance bargain! Love the V6 Camaro's .. but they are no match for our machines.. and now they have to also run from the V6 Mustang.

Some stats:

0-60 = 5.1
Quarter Mile = 13.7 @ 102 mph
Grip = 0.96 g
Braking, 60 - 0 = 104 ft
epa = 19/29
Fuel - Regular
Old 04-30-2010, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
screw the new v6 stangs. i wanna run a new 5.0 as soon as i get tuned.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dart_SI
Screw running a new 5.0, I want to buy one
Old 04-30-2010, 07:57 PM

ill never own a mustang, i hate them. with the exception of the 03 cobra tho, thats the ONLY mustang id own. but mustangs to me are just lame. granted i drive a cobalt, but id much rather take a camaro SS.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:09 PM

Reason for comparo was similiar performance between SS an new V6. V8 Stang is a different beast in performance and price.

stats - same issue... Base - $30,495 - as tested - $39,750

0-60 = 4.3
Quarter Mile = 12.8 @ 110.8 mph
Grip = 0.94 g
Braking, 60 - 0 = 105 ft
epa = 17/26
Fuel - Premium
Old 04-30-2010, 08:22 PM

****, might as well get a gt 500 than a new 5.0
Old 04-30-2010, 08:31 PM

ill never own a mustang, i hate them. with the exception of the 03 cobra tho, thats the ONLY mustang id own. but mustangs to me are just lame. granted i drive a cobalt, but id much rather take a camaro SS.
Personal opinion... but Mustangs are far from lame to me.. Great performance/ classic machines thru-out 'most' of it's history. I haven't always liked the styling - but - I think the current cars look great. I think the new Camaro's also look great.. BUT if I was selecting a pony car it would be the New Challenger with a Hemi

now you have to like the 500 !!! that is a cool car! Gotta run.. Later!

Last edited by John Lake; 04-30-2010 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-02-2010, 01:08 AM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
I don't like the current Mustang model, it looks like it's overdue for a facelift. They need to get a good designer at Ford...
As for the Camaro, although i must admit I seriously considered the V6 before I bought my Cobalt, it's just not my kinda car. No offense to anyone, but I feel that Camaros (and Stangs for that matter) are often driven by a certain type of people. Just like the Hemi's and the SRT8's. I think Cobalt drivers are more down-to-earth people, not such jerks, if you will...
Besides, I like the "sleeper" quality of the balt. Not many people know its power and underestimate it. I "educate" a couple of them by showing them my tail pipe every week
Old 05-02-2010, 01:14 AM

Not a V6 mustang fan.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:01 PM

v6 mustang's are stupid...same thing with v6 camaro's, challenger's, charger's, etc., etc.......

why put an underpowered engine into a "muscle car" oh well....cougar mom down the street still looks good in her convertible yellow v6 mustang
Old 05-02-2010, 12:09 PM

ya. you can pick up a GT500 for about the same price you can a new GT.
my dad got an 07 a few months back with 800 miles on it. GT500 that is.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:10 PM

the new v6 mustang looks soooooooo bad ass. they just had a commercial for it on tv and i could have sworn it was the new v8 model. a v6 with 300 hp, 13.7 1/4 mile and 30 mpg, yes please!
Old 05-02-2010, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by colodude18
I don't like the current Mustang model, it looks like it's overdue for a facelift. They need to get a good designer at Ford...
As for the Camaro, although i must admit I seriously considered the V6 before I bought my Cobalt, it's just not my kinda car. No offense to anyone, but I feel that Camaros (and Stangs for that matter) are often driven by a certain type of people. Just like the Hemi's and the SRT8's. I think Cobalt drivers are more down-to-earth people, not such jerks, if you will...
Besides, I like the "sleeper" quality of the balt. Not many people know its power and underestimate it. I "educate" a couple of them by showing them my tail pipe every week
well didnt you read the fine print on the advertisement? "may increase ***** size by 2 ft and boost your ego to the furthest horizon"
Old 05-02-2010, 12:14 PM

check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh4HE9bNHK4
Old 05-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Banned

Forums like these are opinion based. Of course most of the members on a cobalt forum are going to dislike mustangs. I bet threads like this appear on mustang forums and they are probably like "**** those little 4 cylinder econo boxes". I would still take a 2010 balt ss, but the new v6 mustang is a great machine and I cant even imagine what is in store for the next few years. I love how much they advertise the 31mpg in the video though, gave me a good chuckle and it seems like thats all car companies seem to care about anymore.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by HyperMuffin
Forums like these are opinion based. Of course most of the members on a cobalt forum are going to dislike mustangs. I bet threads like this appear on mustang forums and they are probably like "**** those little 4 cylinder econo boxes". I would still take a 2010 balt ss, but the new v6 mustang is a great machine and I cant even imagine what is in store for the next few years.
just like with the 2.2 cobalt there isnt and wont be much aftermarket for it unless you use parts from a higher up model/retrofit parts.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 09blackonblack
well didnt you read the fine print on the advertisement? "may increase ***** size by 2 ft and boost your ego to the furthest horizon"
Haha yeah. It does seem that most people that drive mustangs/challengers/camaros are people who are buying them mainly to "look" cool and just have the appearance to be able to say you drive a mustang.

Originally Posted by 09blackonblack
just like with the 2.2 cobalt there isnt and wont be much aftermarket for it unless you use parts from a higher up model/retrofit parts.
I disagree, I think the mustang v6's will have a good amount of aftermarket, because of how popular it will be. Tons of people will be driving these so companies will make more aftermarket. The main reason that the 2.2 cobalt doesn't have much aftermarket is because the demand for it isn't very high.

Last edited by HyperMuffin; 05-02-2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-02-2010, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by John Lake
Not a fair fight - Mustang will cross over to the other side of the street to run away... tale between it's legs..... Crying for it's big V8 brother to come save it ...
Heh John, I was gonna start a "Stang V6 vs. Balt SS" thread and made up this little chart the other day:

There are different performance numbers for the new Stangs, I used the one's from C&D's recent test:

(direct link to pdf showing results for V6 Stang/Camaro and V8 Stang/Camaro)
http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezfl...07775a541f.pdf
Old 05-02-2010, 07:21 PM

reguardless of what a stock vs stock mustang and cobalt ss will do, a tuned cobalt ss is going to beat the v6 every time unless the v6 has quite a bit of money dropped in there. a tuned balt will give a stock 5.0 a good run as well. im sure it could easly beat one off a roll. however idk about a modded 5.0
Old 05-02-2010, 07:34 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
I could never own a car in that price range knowing that I could have purchased a better model with more power for not much more money.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by colodude18
Different strokes... Thank God we all have varying opinions or life would be quite dull. On Sunday mornings... usually about once a month when the weather is nice.... I stop at several dealers (all kinds) but lately to check out Mustang's, Camaro's and Challengers. I like 'em all ! So many color/ stripe combos to see/ high turnover - I don't get bored. Don't want to buy any... unless I could have multiple cars .. but love to see .... think they all look great.

Don't disagree that certain cars are driven by certain types - some personalities and cars just go together. And.. you said 'often' and didn't completely generalize. These cars are driven by mostly younger peeps (that can afford that is) ... before we all mature we can act like tools at times... even after of course.. But.. I'm sure there is a fair share of jerks driving everything.. including Balts.

Originally Posted by SeizeThyGod
v6 mustang's are stupid...same thing with v6 camaro's, challenger's, charger's, etc., etc.......

why put an underpowered engine into a "muscle car" oh well....cougar mom down the street still looks good in her convertible yellow v6 mustang
Not sure 'Under powered' really fits when talking of 304 and 305 horsepower. The 2011 V6 Stang is only slightly slower than the 2010 Mustang GT... and except for the last few years... the V6 Stang will embarrass all older V8 GTs.

Originally Posted by firemanfrank
Heh John, I was gonna start a "Stang V6 vs. Balt SS" thread and made up this little chart the other day:

There are different performance numbers for the new Stangs, I used the one's from C&D's recent test:

(direct link to pdf showing results for V6 Stang/Camaro and V8 Stang/Camaro)
http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezfl...07775a541f.pdf
Hey Frank... great minds think alike : ) and.. yup.. I received My Car & Driver, Road & Track & Motor Trend all this past Friday - an embarrassment of riches! I didn't see the stats in C&D until yesterday.

In MT stats the Turbo Balts will stay with the Stang - but should see taillights if both drivers are of even skill. In C&D - Stats show an even race - dead even! Busy weekend - so - I haven't had a chance to read articles yet... I only looked at stats. I don't know if the MT car had performance options that were not on the other.

Last edited by John Lake; 05-03-2010 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-03-2010, 08:57 AM

reguardless of what a stock vs stock mustang and cobalt ss will do, a tuned cobalt ss is going to beat the v6 every time unless the v6 has quite a bit of money dropped in there. a tuned balt will give a stock 5.0 a good run as well. im sure it could easly beat one off a roll. however idk about a modded 5.0
how will a "tuned" cobalt outrun a 412hp/390tq car?

Cobalt drivers all seem to have the same problem too......you think these little 4cyl will destroy any other car on the street with just a "tune". Same goes for import guys too...

For example....

I went to walmart yesterday and drive my completely stock cobalt. I always park at the very back of the parking lot in any car I own......I hate door dings. Well when I can out there was a turbo integra, a stock 350z, and some scion or something. ALL PARKED AROUND MY CAR.

So I ask whats going on, and get told they all want to run me because I had been talking ****. Wait a tic......its the wifes car and I hardly drive it, and never seen these guys in my life.

So I say no.....and I get the "what you too scared of my turbo?" ****. Well at this point I'm about done loading my groceries, so I offer to go get my mustang if they want to race.

THE IDIOTS ALL LAUGHED AT ME AND CALLED ME A MUSTANG ******, AND ANY OF THE CARS THERE WILL SMASH MY MUSTANG!!!!!

I could not believe what I just heard......these people are idiots....a stock scion? please..

I make the comment on how my car has almost as much HP as all of the cars parked there combined......and got mooned by one of the kids....

So I say fine.....I will be back in 10 min.

When I show back up, in my 03 Cobra, the only guy still talking **** was the turbo integra. He claimed he was making 550HP with a stock b18a and a small ebay turbo.... So I said lets go run em....and OF COURSE he would only go from a roll....

But turns out I didnt have to do anything.....he got on it across the walmart parking lot, then all of a sudden all you can see is smoke......he blew his engine.....AND a cop was sitting right outside of the parking lot, and got him for reckless driving....

I am really tired of Cobalt, Civic, S2000, GTP, and other 4-6cyl people only talking **** about mustangs, and how a "tuned" cobalt will beat a stock new mustang GT.....GO GET ******* REAL......

I own both cars, and know what are both capable of.....it takes a few more mods than a stage 1 kit to beat a stock GT......
Old 05-03-2010, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by lwrs10

Cobalt drivers all seem to have the same problem too......you think these little 4cyl will destroy any other car on the street with just a "tune". Same goes for import guys too...

For example....

I went to walmart yesterday and drive my completely stock cobalt. I always park at the very back of the parking lot in any car I own......I hate door dings. Well when I can out there was a turbo integra, a stock 350z, and some scion or something. ALL PARKED AROUND MY CAR.

So I ask whats going on, and get told they all want to run me because I had been talking ****. Wait a tic......its the wifes car and I hardly drive it, and never seen these guys in my life.

So I say no.....and I get the "what you too scared of my turbo?" ****. Well at this point I'm about done loading my groceries, so I offer to go get my mustang if they want to race.

THE IDIOTS ALL LAUGHED AT ME AND CALLED ME A MUSTANG ******, AND ANY OF THE CARS THERE WILL SMASH MY MUSTANG!!!!!

I could not believe what I just heard......these people are idiots....a stock scion? please..

I make the comment on how my car has almost as much HP as all of the cars parked there combined......and got mooned by one of the kids....

When I show back up, in my 03 Cobra, the only guy still talking **** was the turbo integra. He claimed he was making 550HP with a stock b18a and a small ebay turbo.... So I said lets go run em....and OF COURSE he would only go from a roll....

But turns out I didnt have to do anything.....he got on it across the walmart parking lot, then all of a sudden all you can see is smoke......he blew his engine.....AND a cop was sitting right outside of the parking lot, and got him for reckless driving....

I am really tired of Cobalt, Civic, S2000, GTP, and other 4-6cyl people only talking **** about mustangs, and how a "tuned" cobalt will beat a stock new mustang GT.....GO GET ******* REAL......

I own both cars, and know what are both capable of.....it takes a few more mods than a stage 1 kit to beat a stock GT......
thats epic!
Old 05-03-2010, 09:27 AM

For example....

Agree brotha - hate those dings! People can be so friggin inconsiderate. I always park way out... which can also cause problems sometimes because it leaves your car out in the open.

Sounds like you just met some punks... but.. at least they weren't all that bad... your car wasn't keyed or anything else ! My wife has had two cars that were keyed for no reason we know of.. Part of me wishes I was near to confront the person... but another part is glad I wasn't because my hands would have been around their neck!

Just sayin.. not all that bad. And an '03 Cobra.. Nice!
Old 05-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts

For example....

Cobras are no joke .... I also happen to love them.

Quick Reply: 2010 Cobalt SS vs. 2010 Mustang V6