General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Anyone Catch Street Tuner Challenge Lastnight?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone Catch Street Tuner Challenge Lastnight?

Anyone catch Street Tuner Challenge? I missed it and was wondering whatelse they have done to the SS.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:19 PM

They just put in the roll cage.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:23 PM

Wow! That show is starting to get annoying. They move too slow showing production.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by arsenal21
Wow! That show is starting to get annoying. They move too slow showing production.
How else do you expect them to make a whole season out of it? I agree though, it moves incredibly slow especially when I really could care less about the other cars involved, I just want to see what they do to the Cobalt.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:53 PM

Agreed...I stop watching when they show the GTR and Jetta. However, I cannot understand what they are ultimately trying to achieve becuase it appears that they are just doing suspension and asthetics for the Jetta. Do looks garner more points or something??
Old 07-14-2005, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dj4all
Agreed...I stop watching when they show the GTR and Jetta. However, I cannot understand what they are ultimately trying to achieve becuase it appears that they are just doing suspension and asthetics for the Jetta. Do looks garner more points or something??
Maybe they're using Civic logic - speed is directly proportional to the size of the wing on the back of the car and the rims and inversely proportional to ride height...
Old 07-14-2005, 05:51 PM

i agree i think they are moving way to slow. I dont care for the show i am probly not going to watch it anymore. what the hell is the point of it most cobalt owners cant do what they are doing to cobalt. there not even useing the cobalt they started out with they just brought in a body and frame from the factory and going to work on that. i have very disapointed in the show.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by alleycat58
Maybe they're using Civic logic - speed is directly proportional to the size of the wing on the back of the car and the rims and inversely proportional to ride height...
Very cute!!!
Old 07-14-2005, 05:53 PM

I can never seem to find this show on but I've been looking for it for the past few weeks. Can anyone tell me what channel it is on and what times it runs at? As well, how much have I missed (by the sounds of it not too much ) if I were to start watching it now?

Thanks,

Permafried-
Old 07-14-2005, 05:56 PM

Speed channel - Wednesday nights - 7:30, 10:30 and 1:30 am with a repeat at 9:30 am the next day. You've missed three episodes - and you're right, that's not much.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:16 PM

Thanks DJ...maybe I should put a reminder on my Outlook calendar for every Wednesday at 4:00 pm so I don't forget by the time I get home from work and miss it. I'm really interested to see what they do and maybe get some insight on what is going to be required to jack the horsepower on my LS besides what is provided in the GM tuner guides .

Permafried-
Old 07-14-2005, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Permafried-
Thanks DJ...maybe I should put a reminder on my Outlook calendar for every Wednesday at 4:00 pm so I don't forget by the time I get home from work and miss it. I'm really interested to see what they do and maybe get some insight on what is going to be required to jack the horsepower on my LS besides what is provided in the GM tuner guides .

Permafried-
Actually, what they're doing to the CObalt is nowhere near where either of us would go (well at leat i speak for myself). They've stripped this thing down to the frame and I cannot imagine that there will be any stock parts left after they're through. Fun to watch nontheless!!! Enjoy...
Old 07-14-2005, 06:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I may be mistaken but so far it seems the Cobalt being shown is actually just a buildup of a Grand Am Cup car by GMP and Powell Motorsports.

And come on.they started with a whole car.stripped it down and then used a whole nother body shell.....gimme a break who the hell is that relevant to.........and could they have possibly picked 3 more different cars??? The god of Japanese muscle cars the Skyline vs. an American Sport Compact vs. an entry level German Sedan??? Come on......Heres the results......Skyline wins power competition.......Cobalt wins or is a close second in the time attack......the Jetta wins for looks.

Oh god theres 10 more episodes............
Old 07-14-2005, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Maven
I may be mistaken but so far it seems the Cobalt being shown is actually just a buildup of a Grand Am Cup car by GMP and Powell Motorsports.

And come on.they started with a whole car.stripped it down and then used a whole nother body shell.....gimme a break who the hell is that relevant to.........and could they have possibly picked 3 more different cars??? The god of Japanese muscle cars the Skyline vs. an American Sport Compact vs. an entry level German Sedan??? Come on......Heres the results......Skyline wins power competition.......Cobalt wins or is a close second in the time attack......the Jetta wins for looks.

Exactly what I've been thinking.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:51 PM

I'm not so worried about what they're putting on it, but I'd like to get a better idea of what goes into say installing a turbo, or upping the torque, etc. I'd prefer to do at least some of the modification work myself but since I have 0 experience under the hood, and instructions can be clear as mud at times it can't hurt.

Hell I've learned more from the shows on Powerblock on Spike TV on Saturday morning than I ever could have from reading a textbook...this programmer now knows what a "camshaft" is and "headers" !

Permafried-
Old 07-14-2005, 07:05 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maven

Yep they should of done the SS/SC, the SRT-4 and some other compact like the SE-R, Celica, WRX, Lancer.

The skyline is SO unfair, hmm lets pick a car with 12 + years of development behind it and put it up against the Cobalt....

I guess if anything it's compliment to the cobalt.

I know nothing about the Jetta are they any good?

I don't get the show btw so I have to watch it vicariously through you all.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:02 AM

I'm sure the jetta is a nice car and all, but it's the red-headed step-child of the three.
They installed a set of Eibach springs (whoooppeeeee) And it loooked like they were installing some other exterior dress-up items. I think it dynoed at about 135whp........

As for the GrandAM cup car comment. I hope they are adding more power than that. Those don;t have a whole lot more than stock if I'm remembering what I read somewhere correctly.
They said they were adding the roll cage because of the amount of power they were expecting to produce. The GrandAm cup cars only have a cage because I'm sure it's stipulated in the rules for the series for safety reasons, along with the added rigidity that it gives the car. Not because it's makin g a sick amount of power. ANd while Powell is working on the project, the engine is being built by Katech. http://www.katechengines.com/katech_inc/about_us.php
They are the engine supplier for the Cadillac Factory Speed World Challenge Race Team .
I've never heard any reference to them being involved in the cup cars......
Old 07-15-2005, 09:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Katech does lots of work for GM. and individuals alike. Check out the throttle body adapter plate on the Supercharger kit for the Cavalier.......Made by Katech, they also build the Corvette C6.R engines and the Rolex GTO.R engines, along with numerous Rolex DP engines.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:06 PM

Cool

thats why i have tvo but its a stupid show i don't ge t the point the lady seens she talking down to us. i rather watch car and driver and trucks and all the other car shows thats on sunday on spike tv on sunday hmmmm i like the chick on thetv ads
Old 07-15-2005, 12:17 PM
JCX

I caught a bit of that show, seems kinda lame. Judging by the size of those two hairdryers they put on the Skyline it'll be a beast.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:36 PM

Too bad, I was really looking forward to this show, but as some others have mentioned it goes by really slow (kinda expected since it has to last a whole season) and there is no way in hell I could do any of the things that the Cobalt team is doing. I do not have the $$ to buy a brand new Cobalt chassis from the factory and reinstall all parts onto it, do you?

I was also hoping that they would have made a more streetable 'powerhouse' so to speak that would show the potential for everyday buyers and drivers. And why, oh why would they have a 10yr old Skyline and a base Jetta sedan? Don't get me wrong I like both those cars, but good luck finding a Skyline anywhere in North America. Why not go with a GTI for the VW and a 350z or Sentra SE-R for Nissan, or even an Evo or STi or SRT-4 or Celica GTS or Hyundai Tiburon GT or Acura RSX or ...... you get the picture.

Anyways, I'll continue to watch for now, but that may change in the next couple episodes.

P.S. "Pinks" is soooo
Old 07-15-2005, 11:53 PM

i think GM just wants to promote the SS in general as a competitive and serious race machine. Just like the old sayin "race on Sunday, buy on Monday." I think the plan may work, on getting some new customers. Maybe even "older" ones (i.e. people over 30) to buy sport compacts.