General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Cobalt Auto Shifting Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 02:41 AM
Doh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobalt Auto Shifting Question

I was just wondering how hard is it on an automatic tranny when your on the gas in like L, then you shift too I with your foot still on the gas, and then to D and whatever.

And its not like i'm gonna drive around doing that all the time instead of just driving in D. I just wanna do that once or twice to see the power of it kinda thing.

*And I don't wanna hear if you wanted to shift you shoulda got a manual *

Thanks
Old 12-13-2007, 03:57 AM

lol when i wanna mess and am rolling slow, i let go of gas, touch no peddles!!! then pull the shifter button and pull shifter to L, then floor the gas, then when i hit near 70 which just about touches redline i push it to either I or D.. its fun to mess with.. i make sure to do it where i aint shocking the tranny cause if you do it wrong which i have once or twice you feel the tranny jerking very hard..

::cough:: i used to be in a dead stop at roads and when i would race a friend or so let it sit in neutrol, then rev then when i was ready and we were about to go, let go of the gas (not touching brake if i dont move) pull down to L and the car pulls great.. i can burn out the tires hard to that way.. it was jeff i believe that said dont do it, your trannys gonna fall off.. then again i didnt explain it to him well enough so i wouldnt attempt it without his say so..

But i do the shifting thing daily, done it for about 17k miles, never had a problem and for ***** and giggles my one friend works at GM dealership, and had him look at over, he said it was fine (he doesnt no what i do with my shifter) I usually use the L when i want to downshift to race or when i just want better power.. cant wait till my shiftplus gets in this week or next..

Just be careful and dont shift with your foot on the gas, i new ppl that did that with autoshifters (tap shifters) and they said it screwed up the shift and the feel. (plus it made there tranny sound crappy)

I like sticks but not enough to deal with bumper to bumper we have down here in PA on a constant basis..
Old 12-13-2007, 04:08 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/drag-racing-52/launching-automatic-brake-starting-36322/
Old 12-13-2007, 04:26 AM
Doh

Originally Posted by Cobalt4Life

Just be careful and dont shift with your foot on the gas, i new ppl that did that with autoshifters (tap shifters) and they said it screwed up the shift and the feel. (plus it made there tranny sound crappy)
Ya thats what I was wondering. Like is it real bad on it if you keep your foot on the gas when you shift instead of taking your foot off, shifting, then putting it back on.

And thanks for the link Reign. Thats a sweet article.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:44 AM

Thx Reign!!! didnt know all that, I seen it before but basically skimed through it at work not paying attention.. Wow seems that i could have done thing differently

Thanks again Reign!!!
Old 12-13-2007, 04:47 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sure, i dont know why its not a sticky