General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Cobalt Damaged by Body Shop!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobalt Damaged by Body Shop!!!

Hey Cobalt users!!!

I am glad to be here, I just replaced my 97 with a 2006 Cobalt LS.

Here is my problem:
A week after I got the car, I was rear ended. Hummer vs. Cobalt, and the Cobalt (Big Surprise) lost. The damage was not bad, but it punctured the cover, so I want it repaired. I finally managed to get a borrowed car and got the car in on Monday.

Collex, the repair shop, has an online system where you can see the repair in process. I was looking through the pics, and I saw one of my drivers doors sanded, and it looks like they applied a bondo-style repair to the bottom. (I cannot tell, does it look like body filler to you guys?) I called the shop, and they explained that they were sorry, they 'scratched' it while on the lift and they are fixing it for free.

Pic:

Has anyone had a similar experience?

I thought I would share my cobalt's first month.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:09 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
no your cant ask for compensation, they fixed the problem. now if they scratched it and did nothing about it you can raise hell, but its good as new because they did fix it.

i work in the automotive trade (in a transmission tech) and i work at a small shop. we have had a couple of things happen (damage a part while working on the vehicle, a scratch, ect) and when you tell the customer that it happened and you have fixed the problem, they expect a discount on the job or other compensation. ive never understood why.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sharkey
no your cant ask for compensation, they fixed the problem. now if they scratched it and did nothing about it you can raise hell, but its good as new because they did fix it.

i work in the automotive trade (in a transmission tech) and i work at a small shop. we have had a couple of things happen (damage a part while working on the vehicle, a scratch, ect) and when you tell the customer that it happened and you have fixed the problem, they expect a discount on the job or other compensation. ive never understood why.
Agreed why would you get anything else they fixed the problem for free and its probably better than new. Some people just raise hell to hear themselves speak
Old 02-10-2009, 10:14 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
That door will probably outlast every factory painted body panel on the car GM's paint blows donkey dick from the factory anyways.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sharkey

Thats somewhat BS IMO, For instance say i bring my car in for a clutch job, It falls off the lift and messes up the door, SO your shop fills my door full of filler and paints it. SO i get my car back with a door that has been fixed and probably not going to last as long as a factory job and always be somwhat mis matched but i still have to pay you 100%?

Now if its just a scratch or somthing then i would expect it fixed right (painted not touched up) then i wouldnt expect anything, But somthing major that requires filler is totaly diffrent.

But to OP, I would just question the extent of the damage because i scratch dont take body filler to fix, Now it may just be primer i cant tell by the pics. If its just primer i wouldnt worry about since it looks like they did it right. But if theres filler there i would demand a new door and whatever else they messed up.

Moral of long ass post, If fixed right and like new then shop should be free and clear, Problem is thats rarely the case, The usually get by as cheap as possible since they are paying for it.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by chris88z24
That door will probably outlast every factory painted body panel on the car GM's paint blows donkey dick from the factory anyways.
That makes me feel better about the whole deal, my biggest concern was rust down the road, as that location is already prone.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:45 PM

idk i would probably be a lil pissed off if i brought my car in to lets say....get the rear bumper fixed and thats it.....and now because they screwed something else up ie....scratched my door so that has to be fixed too. so i went in there to get one thing fixed and now i come out with a new paint job on my door, which will probably never match especially if the car is black....thats just my opinion though..
Old 02-10-2009, 10:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this happened to me! car was in the shop and the shop manager backed into the front bumper with a forklift. tore a 10" hole right through it. i got a new bumper out of it and the manager paid for my rental car while i waited

i hope this works out for ya man, if anything at all appears out of order, even the repair, give them hell. dont let them bullshit you
Old 02-10-2009, 10:53 PM

my dad owns a body shop so i see this all the time. and i see no bondo. its only been sanded somewhat.
but i dont see a problem with it as long as they fix it and you dont get charged for it and they actually tell you what happened and you didnt have to find out behind their backs.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:52 PM

Had this happen to my mom's 2002 Dodge Intrepid. Was having the thing in to get new tires put on the car after she blew out the right side tires.. and on the left side magicly appears this BIG ASS dent.. that wasn't there when she brought it in.. they denyed responsibility and i bout laughed at the manager of the shop when he said "Our employees don't make mistakes." HAHHA right *******.. ****** Auto Tire, never will go there again. Had to use our money to fix it.. damn tire shop.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
too me it looks like the door is scuffed with i say 800grit and the bottom has been repaired!! the lighter colour is the primer! could be a scratch that was sanded flush and then primed or there could be a little fill underneath it!! who knows? only the person that did it, but i'm assuming they will colour the bottom part of the door and blend the rest from what i can see anyway, accuallyi just took another look and they burned through the bodylines so they'll be better off to basecoat/clear the whole door now, and i'm surprised there not blending into the front fender and the rear door as well??? hmmm
Old 02-11-2009, 02:08 AM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by car_guy_09
Thats somewhat BS IMO, For instance say i bring my car in for a clutch job, It falls off the lift and messes up the door, SO your shop fills my door full of filler and paints it. SO i get my car back with a door that has been fixed and probably not going to last as long as a factory job and always be somwhat mis matched but i still have to pay you 100%?

Now if its just a scratch or somthing then i would expect it fixed right (painted not touched up) then i wouldnt expect anything, But somthing major that requires filler is totaly diffrent.
when **** does happen, like a scratch, we send the car off to a very good body shop (we do work for them all the time) that wont half ass a fix a car. it gets fixed, we pay the bill, and we pay for a rental car for the customer. we wont half ass fix something, the end result isnt worth it. but what more can we do?? can we tell the customer their $2500 transmission rebuild is on us??? are we supposed to buy them a new car because we scratched theirs and a proper fix might never be good enough??? there is always a fair bottom line for both the shop and customer, and out of any of the instances we have had (thankfully its only been a couple) i have never heard a customer complain that what we did to fix the problem was unfair for them.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:11 AM

Pfft i took mine to the body shop be cause the wife oopsed the drivers side with the skirt and i got it back with like large clumps of hardener hardened on the freshly repainted door. That sucked and i caught it after i got home.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:42 AM

I just got another pic they posted of the door:

Also in this pic, the wheel covers that the dealer but on the cobalt. One of them already fell off. Does anyone know of a good supplier of real alloy wheels that I can pick up for cheap.

Last edited by slfalcon; 02-11-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:42 PM

Just looks like it's primered to me.. i don't see any body filler...
Old 02-11-2009, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by 383_Stroker
Just looks like it's primered to me.. i don't see any body filler...
most likely it has a small amount of glaze coat to fill in a small ding, dent ,or sratch. I worked at a body shop for a long time and seen stuff like this all the time. looks like they might have opended the door and hit something with the end of it. What u see in that pic is just primer and i dont see where someone else said that the "burned" threw the body lines??? my guess would be that they will just blend the paint right up the door. Ass long as they have a good painter you should never be able to tell. hope it all works out for you