General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Cobalt + Kayak = Anyone here do it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobalt + Kayak = Anyone here do it?

Ok, so this is sorta random but I'm planning on buying a kayak. I went and looked at some today and saw that they are having some good sales for the end of summer. Although I might just save up and buy a nicer one during the winter, seeing that the end of summer is nearing I'll probably wait. I'm looking at purchasing a 10-12" kayak with one or two storage compartments. I'm also going to be looking as long as a 13-14" Kayak as well but I don't think I'll need one as long as I'll mostly be kayaking in smaller rivers, lakes and the occasional Great Lake, (Lake Michigan, Huron, or Erie) if the weather and conditions permit.

I'm just wondering if anyone here kayaks, and if you do how long is your kayak, and have you transported yours on your balt. If you have, how have you secured it onto your balt? Universal car top carriers? Yakima/brand name kayak carriers? Your own custom set up? How much did you pay for one if you bought a brand name? How far distance wise have you driven with it on your car and any advice you can give me.

The SS/SC is my daily driver so it's pretty much all I have. I've used it to go on trips to go camping and have strapped my mountain bike on the back and it's been fine, and I've found ways to carry alot in the balt. The SS/SC goes back in a little over half a year, and I'll more than likely be purchasing a SS/TC, so i'll still be looking into carrying one on a balt.

Thanks guys!
Old 09-02-2008, 11:11 PM

hillarious.... i want to know the same answer to that same question... and i live in mi as well
Old 09-02-2008, 11:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Word of advice from someone who lives on a lake (not even a big one): go for the 13' or 14' boats. You really won't want anything smaller if there's any type of waves going on. If lakes will be your primary waterways used, go for a rudder, too.

Too small a boat or having no rudder in wavy conditions will lead to you working twice as hard to stay straight as you do advancing. Just a word to the wise from a long-time kayaker.

From the Cobalt perspective, though, I don't know... I don't have my SS/TC yet so I can't say for sure, but my gut feeling tells me it will be a stretch to fit a boat as big as I'm suggesting. You may need to compromise on the kayak's length if the SS is your only method of transportation.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by msatchmo
hillarious.... i want to know the same answer to that same question... and i live in mi as well
Wow who would have thought... Where about do you live?

Originally Posted by Force
Word of advice from someone who lives on a lake (not even a big one): go for the 13' or 14' boats. You really won't want anything smaller if there's any type of waves going on. If lakes will be your primary waterways used, go for a rudder, too.

Too small a boat or having no rudder in wavy conditions will lead to you working twice as hard to stay straight as you do advancing. Just a word to the wise from a long-time kayaker.

From the Cobalt perspective, though, I don't know... I don't have my SS/TC yet so I can't say for sure, but my gut feeling tells me it will be a stretch to fit a boat as big as I'm suggesting. You may need to compromise on the kayak's length if the SS is your only method of transportation.
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I was definitely planning on getting a rudder down the line. If the Kayak doesn't come with a rudder are there any universal rudders that I can fit on it? Most of the Kayaks that have the built in rudder are out of my price range for now. Majority of the time I'll be kayaking in small inland lakes, rivers, & canals but I would like to eventually be able to stray out onto some of the bigger Great lakes if the conditions permit.

Unfortunately the Cobalt SS is going to be the only vehicle I'm going to be able to put the Kayak on. So that's why I'm thinking of going 12' or 13'.

Last edited by SS4EVER; 09-03-2008 at 01:17 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, even waves on an inland lake will kick your ass if your boat is too short. As for rudders, mine is built in with a pedal setup... I'm not familiar with "aftermarket" installed devices. At the very least get a boat with a skeg (stationary rudder that hangs off the back), as it will go a long way to maintaining your chosen direction.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:46 PM

Yeah, I'm familiar with the skeg that just drops down from below the stern. I'll more than likely purchase a kayak with at least that.

I did look into universal rudder kits and they range from $200-$250, and require some drilling and rigging and setup to install the rudder pedals + rudder cables... If I can find a kayak with a skeg or rudder that's about $200-$250 more than what I'm looking for but has a rudder then I'd just buy a kayak with it...