General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

cobalt sssc speeds

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 09:19 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cobalt sssc speeds

Hello Forum.

Its great to have a forum on our cobalt’s , I am also a active member of the corvette forum and that has been a great place to help people with any question on their cars or help when you need it as well.

I’m hoping that maybe you can help me out on a question about the speeds our cars can do in certain distances.

Well here’s my story in short form.
I was driving one night with my wife in my stock 2006 cobalt ss\sc “no mods” and proceeded to stop at a red light on a some what straight road of RT 20.
The light turn green and I proceed to go the closer I made my way to cop which was sitting on a side road about .2tenth of a mile (1200 feet on the nose) from the red light I had stopped at and next thing I know the blues came on.

He claimed I was doing 59 mph in a 40 mph zone which I know for sure is false.
And gave me a ticket for speeding.

My question is how fast you think a stock cobalt ss\sc can go in 1200ft distance.
I am fighting this ticket because I know I wasn’t going as fast as he is claiming (I truly believe he pulled me over because the car is a sports car with a big wing) but I know that wont stand up in court.

I’m hoping someone could help me with the speed of this car in that amount of distance and if anyone had the same problem.

The only way I can see that speed in that distance is if you had the throttle Wide open through the gears but I know I was just reaching 2nd-3rd gear when I saw him in view.

Thank you for any help forum
And I hope to help someone in need in the future as well

Vettemansssc
Old 02-21-2007, 09:30 AM
Doc

A stock cobalt will get to roughly 60 at the top of second....don't quote me, I can't remember. You'd have to be real deep into the revs too....real close to 6500. Switching to third might have put you over.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:33 AM

90mph
Old 02-21-2007, 09:34 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, 1200 is 120 feet short of a 1/4 mile, and most stock cobalts get to about mid 90's in the 1/4... so, if you were accelerating hard, high 80's - low 90's would be possible... if he got you on radar, you can't really beat it... if he didn't have it on radar, when you go to court it will get dismissed.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:17 AM

Depends on where you shift out of second:

3000RPM = 32mph
4000RPM = 43mph
5000RPM = 54mph
6000RPM = 65mph
6500RPM = 71mph

That's assuming you were still in second at those RPMs, hence that'd be the speed you would be at just before shifting. That's also assuming you're running the stock 215/45/18 tire size.

The formula used to get those does not take into account friction or other forces, so speeds may be a little lower due to these things.

Last edited by alleycat58; 02-21-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:42 AM
Banned

Thanks guys and gals for the replies so far
To help clear it up alittle i shift always at 2500-3000rpms if that helps

so according to allycat post i may have been going around 30-40 mph wich is the speed i know i was roughly going

i see some people say 90mph...yes that may be possible
well im not a race car driver by any means
i get on it only really when i want to pass someone on the highway

Thanks members
Old 02-21-2007, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Vetteman-sssc
Thanks guys and gals for the replies so far
To help clear it up alittle i shift always at 2500-3000rpms if that helps

so according to allycat post i may have been going around 30-40 mph wich is the speed i know i was roughly going

i see some people say 90mph...yes that may be possible
well im not a race car driver by any means
i get on it only really when i want to pass someone on the highway

Thanks members
No problem!

You actually CAN use those calculations I gave you in court, it's a scientific formula. I just used a spreadsheet with the forumla already plugged in, but if you can get the raw formula and show in court that you couldn't possibly be going as fast as he says you were going.

Go in with as many documents, photos of the scene, etc. Even if he clocked you on radar, you should be able to beat the ticket. Sounds like he's WAY off the mark so you shouldn't have too hard of a time with him.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:05 AM

if what you say is completely accurate then there was absolutely no way that you were speeding like he said. 2nd gear only goes to about 59mph in stock form and thats at redline.

take a video from inside your car and show that you are in 2nd gear first. then take your car up to the redline and show the speedo sitting around 60mph. then ask the officer if he honestly believes that you were racing or accelerating faster than average. i doubt he will just lie. point out that the only way that you could have been going 59mph in that gear is if you were taking it up to redline, aka racing.

the only thing you have to do then is figure out a way to show that you only would have been in 2nd gear just about to go to 3rd. if they believe that you were in 3rd gear, then obviously they will assume that you were speeding.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mines_Better
if what you say is completely accurate then there was absolutely no way that you were speeding like he said. 2nd gear only goes to about 59mph in stock form and thats at redline.

take a video from inside your car and show that you are in 2nd gear first. then take your car up to the redline and show the speedo sitting around 60mph. then ask the officer if he honestly believes that you were racing or accelerating faster than average. i doubt he will just lie. point out that the only way that you could have been going 59mph in that gear is if you were taking it up to redline, aka racing.

the only thing you have to do then is figure out a way to show that you only would have been in 2nd gear just about to go to 3rd. if they believe that you were in 3rd gear, then obviously they will assume that you were speeding.
LOL, make sure you do this on a closed road. Otherwise showing up with video evidence of you doing this on a public road might get you in more trouble rather than less. You might get away with it on a highway where the speedlimit is >60mph, but if it were me I wouldn't chance it. Cops around here are ***** with stuff like that.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by alleycat58
Depends on where you shift out of second:

3000RPM = 32mph
4000RPM = 43mph
5000RPM = 54mph
6000RPM = 65mph
6500RPM = 71mph

That's assuming you were still in second at those RPMs, hence that'd be the speed you would be at just before shifting. That's also assuming you're running the stock 415/45/18 tire size.

The formula used to get those does not take into account friction or other forces, so speeds may be a little lower due to these things.
you know the funny ass part about this post is that those speeds you put are wrong and the reason you see that is becasue your speedo is 2-3 miles per hour fast

at 3,000 rpms you should be at 30 not 32 and at 4,000 you should be at 40 maybe 41
Old 02-21-2007, 12:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mines_Better

that's great in theory, but what if the judge says "So, can you prove you were in 2nd gear? No, o ok."
Old 02-21-2007, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Red2.4SS/SC
you know the funny ass part about this post is that those speeds you put are wrong and the reason you see that is becasue your speedo is 2-3 miles per hour fast

at 3,000 rpms you should be at 30 not 32 and at 4,000 you should be at 40 maybe 41
Incorrect.

Given the correct tire size, 215/45/18 (fixed the typo, but that's what the speeds are based on...correct OEM tire size), those are absolutely the correct speeds.

I hope you don't think I went out and drove that in my car to see what my speedo read. I didn't. It's a mathematical formula that calculates the exact speed based on overall tire diameter and Final Drive Ratio as well as Gear Ratio for whatever gear you're in, he said he was in second so I based it on the ratio for 2nd gear. Every car will get different numbers, he drives an SS/SC so I used the SS/SC gear ratios.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:10 PM
Banned

thanks allycat again
i believe your stament is correct by theory

Well i know for sure he wasnt using a radar
I have a radar dector and it didnt go off at all.
And it carries all bands that they use like laser , x, k ,ka and so on....

I really think he wanted to make a quoter , i was the end of the month and also pulled me over because it has a huge wing on it.

I know thats the truth in my eyes.
Cops dont like tuner cars and why not pull them over...it perfect

I know for sure i wasnt speeding..My wife freaks out when i drive my vette and plant her head in the seat because of the torque it has and thinks im going fast when really im not.

and i think my best defense would be the distance (1200ft)he claims i was 59 in and thats why i ask the forum for some help.

Im a CHEVY man but dont really know much about the Cobalts yet (too new) anything 60s-80s i can answer.

Thanks alot forum
Old 02-21-2007, 01:25 PM

thanks allycat again
i believe your stament is correct by theory

I really think he wanted to make a quoter , i was the end of the month and also pulled me over because it has a huge wing on it.

I know thats the truth in my eyes.
Cops dont like tuner cars and why not pull them over...it perfect

I know for sure i wasnt speeding..My wife freaks out when i drive my vette and plant her head in the seat because of the torque it has and thinks im going fast when really im not.

and i think my best defense would be the distance (1200ft)he claims i was 59 in and thats why i ask the forum for some help.

Im a CHEVY man but dont really know much about the Cobalts yet (too new) anything 60s-80s i can answer.

Thanks alot forum
Definitely fight it. Be sure to pay attention to everything on the ticket. A cop tried to do that to my dad, he was within about 800 feet of an intersection and told my dad he was going 63 in a 45 in a Buick Skyhawk!!!! Cop said he was using radar, but failed to provide the certification of calibration, that's one part taht got my dad off 100% scot free, other part was the cop kind of "fudged" his location. They have to record their exact location when running radar by milepost, so my dad got in his car, found the closest marker and drove till the odometer matched where the cop said he was sitting. Twas the middle of a creek bed. Cop got laughed out of court.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:28 PM
Banned

Hey allycat58

you where right on the money with your averages from 2nd to 3rd

on the way home from work i checked out your statement
if you shift from 2nd to 3rd at 3000 rpms you reach speed at about 30-32mph

I want to thank you for your replies and (forum) if i can help you on any matters with any Chevys or Vettes give me a shout.
and wish me luck when i fight this ticket in May have time to prepare this case which is nice.

Vetteman-sssc

Allycat58

Nice trim in you Balt , checked out your pics
i like the blue trim inside
Did you paint it??

My Balt is silver so my trim is silver with black and red inserts seats

Great talking with you
Take care and thanks for your help again

Vetteman-sssc

Last edited by Vetteman-sssc; 02-21-2007 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-21-2007, 06:39 PM

Most ignorant statement of the century nomination.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:16 PM

Just putting in my .02, I've got an ss/na stock and I can easily reach 55-60 mph in 2nd before reaching redline.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:14 PM

ahh maybe i missed it...but why didn't you ask him to see the radar? he has to show you it.

either way good luck but your probably screwed
Old 02-22-2007, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by sealy
ahh maybe i missed it...but why didn't you ask him to see the radar? he has to show you it.

either way good luck but your probably screwed
Not in my state! I was pissed when the Cop refused to show me the proof of my speeding! Thats f-ing bull **** but what can you do?
Old 02-22-2007, 02:13 AM

Dark..I believe the redline on the SS/na's are a little higher then ours stock. Not to mention, that he said that he was not going full throttle.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:15 AM
Banned

Hey Dark

You need to read the post again
Because i guess you didnt read it
I wasnt going WOT and like i said i wasnt racing or abusing my ride

Cirrus ....aint looking for remarks from a wise ass either keep them to yourself..Please
i ask a basic question ...and your rude comments aint needed

Im not looking for trouble but keep your comments to yourself

(quote Cirrus) Most ignorant statement of the century nomination.

Last edited by Vetteman-sssc; 02-22-2007 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:10 PM

Dont be affraid to ask to see the radar if you dont believe them. It is your right. In washington if they dont offer to show you the radar you can have the ticket dropped or reduced.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:44 PM

^ same in wisconsin...you have the right to see it, if you ask. sometimes they will ask you if you want to see it.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:58 AM
Banned

I live in Mass so i dont know if they allow that or not.
This is my first ticket ever..So im not sure

But thank for your input
im going to fight this thing to the end either way.

But i will bring that up when i do go to court
and they must have records or print outs to prove their case

Like i said i wasnt speeding , I truly believe its the cars look(tuners)

oh and by the way
i was wrong on the distance
its a 1000 ft from the light i was at to where the cop pulled me over

so i think to reach 59mph in 1000ft youd really have to get on the trottle
wouldnt you say and rember i didnt even get my car out of 2nd gear at this point just hitting 3rd gear so hes full of crap

Google maps will play a nice part in the case too

Thanks guys and Gals

Last edited by Vetteman-sssc; 02-23-2007 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost