General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Exhaust Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Dilemma

Hey guys..

Ok, here's the deal. I'm looking for a solid exhaust to use for the next year or so until I go s/c, then I'm upgrading the full exhaust, headers back. But for now, just the rear-set. I've got the 2.4 SS with an auto. I actually think the stock exhaust sounds pretty good, but I'm sure it's awfully heavy and restrictive.. I think auto four cylinders with really loud exhausts sound horrible.. So I certainly don't want that! I'm just looking for a nice exhaust that's similar to stock, but a bit louder, especially at throttle. I don't mind an increase at mild acceleration, a deep idle, or a tad bit of noise on the highway even.. I just don't want to be THAT GUY. lol. Everyone knows THAT GUY. The guy with the REALLY loud auto I4. Gay.

Having that said, I've narrowed it down to what I can gather.. Dynomax Super Turbo, Dynomax Ultra Flow, and the Magnaflow Street Series. My Dad has two Super Turbos on his '04 Monte SS. They sound really good. It's a very clean sound. Louder than stock. But when you really punch them, it doesn't really bark like I'd like it to. Maybe it's just the V6? GM 3.8's don't really growl too much.. They roll on.. The Ultra Flow seems to be a good bit louder, as well as the Magnaflow.. Now.. Would I be better with the louder muffler with a stock resonator, or the Super Turbo with a better resonator? Like the Magnaflow one.. The Super Turbo only costs $50, where-as the other two both cost about $100. So what I save with the Super Turbo I can pay for the resonator. OR, if the stock resonator is fine, then screw it.

Anyone know? Thanks!!
Old 07-30-2008, 03:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy
I just don't want to be THAT GUY. lol. Everyone knows THAT GUY. The guy with the REALLY loud auto I4. Gay.
You gotta problem with me?

Just TRY ******* with me on the highway. Just see how it turns out.

I love being THAT GUY with the car that everyone underestimates

BTW, I have LSJ exhaust components and a 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust with a 3A Racing muffler I got for free at an exhaust shop, and I think it sounds pretty sexy

Last edited by HackAbuse; 07-30-2008 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-31-2008, 08:51 PM

First of all, search as there are many threads about exhausts.

Second, why would you spend money to upgrade you exhaust, only to replace it again in a year or so. Sounds like you are wasting money if you plan on doing that.

I would just wait until your ready to do the whole thing at once. Do some reseasch and you should be able to find exactly what you want.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:19 PM

just buy a corsa touring. i have it and its very quiet for a performance exhaust. no raspy crap even with a 3 inch dp and high flow cat.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by YSUsteven
First of all, search as there are many threads about exhausts.

Second, why would you spend money to upgrade you exhaust, only to replace it again in a year or so. Sounds like you are wasting money if you plan on doing that.

I would just wait until your ready to do the whole thing at once. Do some reseasch and you should be able to find exactly what you want.
I've done alot of searching for exhausts. But no one really has any clips of the Dynomax mufflers on a Cobalt. And I'm not saying I'm for sure changing it out in a year. But if I go s/c, I'm definitely going larger piping.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:15 PM

I've done alot of searching for exhausts. But no one really has any clips of the Dynomax mufflers on a Cobalt. And I'm not saying I'm for sure changing it out in a year. But if I go s/c, I'm definitely going larger piping.
If you go to larger piping, you replace all of the pipes, then the in and out of the muffler is too small so your gona have to replace it as well, hence the whole thing.

The reason that you probalbly can't find a clip of the Dynomax is that probably few people have tried it. Most people just replace the entire catback, and don't just get a muffler welded up.

If you want to hear the Dynomax, you might just have to have it installed, otherwise you may be out of luck. Have you tried searching not just youtube? There is a small chance you could get lucky...

Originally Posted by celicacobalt
just buy a corsa touring. i have it and its very quiet for a performance exhaust. no raspy crap even with a 3 inch dp and high flow cat.
That sound like a good option to me...

Last edited by YSUsteven; 08-01-2008 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-01-2008, 07:35 PM

There's a guy who wants to sell me his GMPP for 300.. That's certainly a good price, however a custom catback would be like 200 or less at my local shop.. I have searched everywhere for clips and only found like 2.. And both were on s/c's with no resonator.. So it was REALLY loud.. I don't know.. The GMPP I already know sounds good.. But the Dynomax would be quite a bit cheaper..
Old 08-01-2008, 08:27 PM

Yes, just changing the muffler is cheaper. All it would do is change the sound.

You have a chance to get a all stainless catback for $300 and you know it will fit and sound good. Retail for that is around $700. Sounds like a no brainer to me. My stock exhaust was rusty as hell after 2 years, and am glad its gone.

You get what you pay for (usually).
Old 08-03-2008, 10:12 AM

That's the thing.. I know the GMPP sounds great. And it's a great deal. But I don't have $300 to spend right now, and I'm sure it'll be gone before I do. lol. So if it is, the custom Ultra Flow catback is the Plan B. Custom being 2.5 tubing over the axle, as well as 2.5 in the stock 2.5 locations, plus the Ultra Flow muffler and the stock SS tip.. We'll see how it goes..
Old 08-03-2008, 11:51 AM

That's the thing.. I know the GMPP sounds great. And it's a great deal. But I don't have $300 to spend right now, and I'm sure it'll be gone before I do. lol. So if it is, the custom Ultra Flow catback is the Plan B. Custom being 2.5 tubing over the axle, as well as 2.5 in the stock 2.5 locations, plus the Ultra Flow muffler and the stock SS tip.. We'll see how it goes..
If you can't come up with $300, maybe you should not be changing anything right now...
Old 08-04-2008, 11:38 AM

Any why not..? There's nothing wrong with just changing the muffler. I've done it on all my cars, and my bike. I'm not worried about it having 400hp. I just want it to flow more freely and sound a bit nicer. And that's exactly what it'll do.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Not a Sebring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You thought the stock exhaust sounded good? Wow......I thought it sounded like........um....nothing, lol.

loud > quiet

But for a cheap, temporary, quiet cat-back......just get the GMPP touring. About as cheap and quiet as you can go. Megan is cheaper, but much louder.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:51 AM

I've heard the Megan one.. Id definitely get it if I had a manual. Sounds great. But I've just always had good luck with Dynomax mufflers on my cars.. They sound really good (very clean and nice, not insanely loud), and with the shop making me a full 2.5 bend to go over the axle to complement the rest of the SS 2.5 tubing, you really can't go wrong.. The stock SS exhaust sounds good, but it is indeed quiet. But it sounds very clean. But that muffler looks like ass, and probably weighs alot and chokes the car. When i'm at WOT, up at the higher RPM's you can hear the muffler choking the car it sounds like. The intake is howling and the muffler is holding it back.. But on my Dad's Monte SS that has Dynomax Super-Turbos on it, it sounds like it's going full-bore. That's basically what I want.. But just not that ricey ass BWAAAHHH sound..
Old 08-04-2008, 12:07 PM

hey just curious what shop is doing ur exhaust work?
Old 08-05-2008, 03:35 AM

I usually just have Meinekie do basic cut and welds.. But any actual work I will go for 1st Try in Imperial. Taking it there in a month to do a few things..

I think I might just do the Super-Turbo for now.. I'll keep this post updated with my findings..