General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

GM Extended Warranty - Bumper to Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GM Extended Warranty - Bumper to Bumper

Does anybody an extended bumper to bumper warranty on their SS? My 36K warranty is about to end and I've had a couple of major repairs covered by the factory warranty so far.

How does the extended warranty work?
Can you bring the car to any Chevy dealer or are there any restrictions?
Is is by GM or a third party company?
How much did you pay for it?
Does it have to be purchased when you buy the car, or can you come in any time and buy it?
Old 05-20-2007, 02:37 PM

Ive got like a 100k extended warranty that i got when i bought the car. it was over a 1000 dollars extra for it though.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:42 PM
RBC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sensesfail99
Ive got like a 100k extended warranty that i got when i bought the car. it was over a 1000 dollars extra for it though.
I got the extra 100k warranty as well, I believe if you bought in at signing through GM it is just like the normal warranty just extended.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't let the extended warranty's fool ya. It's not as good as your original. It don't pay for quite a few different problems or stuff. Almost every different type of extended warranty has a bunch of limits to it. Most will say it covers everything but that's a lie.

We see many people here in our shop that have various different types of warranties and most got the wrong impression when they bought theirs. The was told that it covers everything but it dont.

One example is we had a customer that had an Olds Aurora and he was out of GM warranty but had an extended warranty and his sun roof quit moving. The techs looked at it and figured out that it was the motor on the roof itself went bad. The Warranty Admin calls their warranty/insurance provider and they will not pay for a motor. She asks what is covered that pertains to the sunroof and they say just the switch and control module. Not the motor, track, weatherstrips, etc.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:40 PM

yeah extended warranties are a joke, they lie so much, its just so the dealership can make more money off of you.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:37 PM
RBC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I read mine cover to cover and it is just an extension of the original and it covers the exact same as the one that came with the car. I made sure before I purchased it. I had one like you guys are talking about on one of my cavaliers and it wasn't all bad. It was cheap and saved me allot of money. I just had to pay a $50 deductible on that one and it was from my insurance company.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:55 PM

I got a 5YR/72,000 mile extended warranty. Bumper to Bumper. Covers anything and everything. It has a $100 deductable at any GM dealer or if I take it to the dealer I bought it at there is no deductable.(Kind of a way to gurantee that dealer work)
Old 05-22-2007, 08:41 AM

Yall must have one of the lucky packages. I've seen a bunch of different kinds of warranty go through here and most packets says about the same as yours but when the dealership files for repairs is when the customer finds out otherwise.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:03 PM

When I bought my car I made them through in the extended bumper to bumper warranty for free I believe mine is 72,000 miles because thats the max miles on my lease.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by jbounce
Does anybody an extended bumper to bumper warranty on their SS? My 36K warranty is about to end and I've had a couple of major repairs covered by the factory warranty so far.

How does the extended warranty work?
Can you bring the car to any Chevy dealer or are there any restrictions?
Is is by GM or a third party company?
How much did you pay for it?
Does it have to be purchased when you buy the car, or can you come in any time and buy it?
Make sure you purchase a General Motors Protection Plan (GMPP) with the Major Guard Service. Some dealers offer aftermarket service contracts.....which are CRAP...make sure it's GMPP!

GMPP is in fact the FACTORY supported service contract. The GMPP warranty can be used at any GM dealer NATIONWIDE.

Purchase the warranty before your factory warranty expires...and it doesn't matter if you already made claims....just as long as it's purchased b4 expiration.

The service contract is based upon either term or miles....so your pricing will vary on your driving habits.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Banned

I bought the gmpp(GM Protection Plan) 5yr 50,000 mile one when I first bought the car. I just cancelled it within the 60day period for a full refund. it was 860 dollars. I read the thing and I wasn't really happy with it. If they suspect any missuse of the vehicle in any way they can void your warranty. Not saying they would but who knows. I really got rid of it because I was looking to do some more modding. And that would deffinately void the warranty. From what I hear the GMPP warranty is pretty good for a stock car.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by shawns94
I bought the gmpp(GM Protection Plan) 5yr 50,000 mile one when I first bought the car. I just cancelled it within the 60day period for a full refund. it was 860 dollars. I read the thing and I wasn't really happy with it. If they suspect any missuse of the vehicle in any way they can void your warranty. Not saying they would but who knows. I really got rid of it because I was looking to do some more modding. And that would deffinately void the warranty. From what I hear the GMPP warranty is pretty good for a stock car.
Modding your car only affects the components that are affected. Let's say....your power window regulator goes out....it's still covered under warranty or the service contract because your engine mods have no connection to your window regulator. If you blow a head gasket from a super small pulley...of course...it will void the warranty...and don't expect a claim to be taken care of from that failure.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:01 PM
Banned

very true
Old 05-23-2007, 11:06 AM

Here's the things that are not covered with the GMPP Major Guard package that is sold by dealers.
copied directly from the Major Guard sales flyer.

maintenance services and parts
glass
lenses
sealed beams
light bulbs
tires
components not installed by the vehicle manufacturer
bumpers sheet metal
body panels and parts
carpets
hinges
trim
upholstery
covertible or vinyl tops
moldings or bright metal
air and water leaks
wind noise
odors
weather strips
squeaks
rattles
paint
rust
carburetor
contaminated fuel system
exhaust system
catalytic converter
brake drum/rotors
brake pads/shoes
shock absorbers
batteries
spark plugs and wires
manual clutch disc

most of these is covered by GM's warranty.