General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Handling getting worse

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Handling getting worse

Hey guys I'm still pretty new to cars but I have a 2006 SS supercharged. I have a strut tower, cold air intake, and an aftermarket exhaust done with the car. I dont know if any of that would effect my latest problem but I recently hit a curb trying to dodge a guy who wasnt looking. My car's back right wheel was the only one that got messed up. There's a huge chunk of rubber out of the tire and the rim got chipped. The tires look fine in terms of air pressure but my car feels like the handling is a lot worse. Any ideas? I'm using non stock tires btw. I replaced the pirellis with toyo proxies t1.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:18 AM

There is a huge chunk of rubber and you're wondering why the car is handling bad?
Old 06-13-2011, 12:20 AM

its in by the rim so i couldnt see how that'd affect anything.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:21 AM

Dude, replace the tire.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:23 AM

alright well can you explain how rubber around the rim would change my handling? Like i get if it was rubber on the tread
Old 06-13-2011, 12:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Balance:
Get the tire replaced. And were the rim got chipped, blend it out so it doesnt crack.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by insylem
Balance:
Get the tire replaced. And were the rim got chipped, blend it out so it doesnt crack.
I got warranty on the tires thank god but what is blending?
Old 06-13-2011, 12:32 AM

i would get that rim rebalanced and do another alighnment
Old 06-13-2011, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Rocky87
i would get that rim rebalanced and do another alighnment
the tire shop would do that you think? town fair tire
Old 06-13-2011, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Supercharge91
alright well can you explain how rubber around the rim would change my handling? Like i get if it was rubber on the tread
The sides of the tire flex when your running on it, Now you have a spot that gives more then the rest of the tire, its gona handle funny.

Get 2 new ones, put them on the front, and move your front ones to the rear. Blend out the damage on your rim before it cracks.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:38 AM

the tire shop would do that you think? town fair tire
i would think so
Old 06-13-2011, 12:41 AM

The sides of the tire flex when your running on it, Now you have a spot that gives more then the rest of the tire, its gona handle funny.

Get 2 new ones, put them on the front, and move your front ones to the rear. Blend out the damage on your rim before it cracks.
this makes sense thinking about it i appreciate it. however why 2 new ones? none of my other tires got chewed. + can someone explain what blending is? i still dont knpw
Old 06-13-2011, 12:45 AM

if you only replaced one tire then it would make you ride weird because one tire would be worn down more than the other
Old 06-13-2011, 03:08 AM

can someone explain what blending is? i still dont knpw

Blending is filing down to be smooth.
I thought you mentioned that your rim was damaged/chipped. That means that there are probably sharp edges and parts on it. Stress in metals focus on sharp corners and edges. By filing it down to a smooth contour your eliminating the sharp edges and preventing stress cracks from starting. It probably would not be a bad idea to do a dye penetrant inspection on your rim just in case, or if you want to be super safe replace the rim.

Dye Penetrant inspection is where you clean the rim really good, then apply the penetrant, and wait something like 10 - 30 minutes for it to soak into the cracks, then wipe it all off. Then apply the devoloper. Any cracks, will have soaked in the dye, and when it comes in contact with the devoloper, it will become visible, thus showing you the crack.

You can probably get some at Autozone/Advanced/Ect
Old 06-13-2011, 06:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
this makes sense thinking about it i appreciate it. however why 2 new ones? none of my other tires got chewed. + can someone explain what blending is? i still dont knpw
running different tires in any opposite corner (in your case, a brand new tire and from a completely different manufacturer) of the car will negatively change the handling characteristics of the vehicle, and could potentially be dangerous. You either want all 4 tires to be the same, or at the very least have the 2 fronts match one another and then 2 rears match one another..

Blending is filing down to be smooth.
I thought you mentioned that your rim was damaged/chipped. That means that there are probably sharp edges and parts on it. Stress in metals focus on sharp corners and edges. By filing it down to a smooth contour your eliminating the sharp edges and preventing stress cracks from starting. It probably would not be a bad idea to do a dye penetrant inspection on your rim just in case, or if you want to be super safe replace the rim.

Dye Penetrant inspection is where you clean the rim really good, then apply the penetrant, and wait something like 10 - 30 minutes for it to soak into the cracks, then wipe it all off. Then apply the devoloper. Any cracks, will have soaked in the dye, and when it comes in contact with the devoloper, it will become visible, thus showing you the crack.

You can probably get some at Autozone/Advanced/Ect
OP: Town Fair tire won't do this btw.. they're absolute jokes in my book. Don't even bother going there for your alignement either just to give you a heads up. They ONLY do 2 wheel alignments there. A 2 wheel alignment is like setting the 2 front paws of a dog with scoliosis straight but not noticing that his ass end is 5 inches off to the right as he walks down the hall like a crooked *******....
Old 06-13-2011, 10:25 AM

ok so I got some updates. i'm running 4 toyo proxies t1 with warrenty on all 4 so thats why im saying id just get a new one (same toyo proxie) should that be a problem? and then i called my mechanic and he suggested it was a t-rod was damaged potentially when mounting the curb
Old 06-13-2011, 10:48 AM

ok so I got some updates. i'm running 4 toyo proxies t1 with warrenty on all 4 so thats why im saying id just get a new one (same toyo proxie) should that be a problem? and then i called my mechanic and he suggested it was a t-rod was damaged potentially when mounting the curb
It's POSSIBLE but not certin. Youll have to make that determination based on how that mechanic has treated you in the past and others. Chances are the warranty, will only cover the one tire thats damaged, leaving you on the bill for the other one so that you dont run into future problems. Id say do a warranty claim, swap out two tires, and get a 4 wheel alignment, and maybe file/sand out that chip on the rim.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the only time i know when people hit curbs is when theyre drunk
Old 06-13-2011, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At the very least you need to:
1. Get a new tire.
2. Get the wheel checked. Make sure its not bent or cracked.
3. Get the suspension checked to make sure its not bent and get an alignment.

It doesn't take much damage to cause serious safety issues. You might not even be able to see it but its that sensitive.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Premium Member

Did you hit with both passanger side tires .......cause the 1st post says the pass. rear was the only one that was damaged?
Old 06-13-2011, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by rukkee
Did you hit with both passanger side tires .......cause the 1st post says the pass. rear was the only one that was damaged?
this mechanic i trust because hes checked out my car for free before and given me awesome advice. in addition it was only the rear right tire. I feel like getting it diagnosed by a mechanic would be the way to go given the circumstance that the car feels like somethings NOT right.