General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

I'm unsatisfied with my cobalt, suggestions on a new car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm unsatisfied with my cobalt, suggestions on a new car?

My particular model makes all sorts of weird noises and I'm not used to it. Rattling when I go over bumps slowly, sounds like my car is falling apart. The exhaust ticking, thuds when I put it in first gear and reverse. Paint damage, sputtering/hesitation in second gear after it's been off for awhile (doesn't do it when I give it more acceleration, but who wants to race in their neighborhood), On cold days, it makes a loud deep scraping noise when I'm rolling backwards from reverse, clicking in steering wheel when turning right, fan noise from heater... I'm sure there's more I just can't think of it. Ugh...

Other than that I love my 2006 Stock Cobalt SS Supercharged. The Power, the look, the features, yeah I drove a 1994 Integra LS for about 10 years. So I missed out on stuff like fuel range left, and auto dimming mirrors etc.

I'm looking for something that's around the same price with a max of $15,000 and has some forced induction.

Someone told me that the Cobalt SS Turbo is a lot better. Is this true? If so I may just get one of those. I also was thinking about waiting for the Chevy Cruze SS but we don't even know if that exist.

What would you do?

By the way keep in mind I'm one of those paranoid guys that panic when he hears a unusual noise in his car. So this could all be nothing, but to me it feels like I'm gonna be losing a car soon due to failure.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by vahdyx
My particular model makes all sorts of weird noises and I'm not used to it. Rattling when I go over bumps slowly, sounds like my car is falling apart. The exhaust ticking, thuds when I put it in first gear and reverse. Paint damage, sputtering/hesitation in second gear after it's been off for awhile (doesn't do it when I give it more acceleration, but who wants to race in their neighborhood), On cold days, it makes a loud deep scraping noise when I'm rolling backwards from reverse, clicking in steering wheel when turning right, fan noise from heater... I'm sure there's more I just can't think of it. Ugh...

Other than that I love my 2006 Stock Cobalt SS Supercharged. The Power, the look, the features, yeah I drove a 1994 Integra LS for about 10 years. So I missed out on stuff like fuel range left, and auto dimming mirrors etc.

I'm looking for something that's around the same price with a max of $15,000 and has some forced induction.

Someone told me that the Cobalt SS Turbo is a lot better. Is this true? If so I may just get one of those. I also was thinking about waiting for the Chevy Cruze SS but we don't even know if that exist.

What would you do?

By the way keep in mind I'm one of those paranoid guys that panic when he hears a unusual noise in his car. So this could all be nothing, but to me it feels like I'm gonna be losing a car soon due to failure.
that's a cobalt for you, all kinds of noises all the time....
Old 05-27-2010, 06:50 PM

Wait for the Buick GS. I think I'm going to get one if the price is right, and I have a TC.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:54 PM

i think its acutally the way people treat their cars, i never had one problem with my cobalt, for 2 years no rattles or anything
Old 05-27-2010, 07:04 PM
Banned

Ford Fusion, Honda Civic, Saab 9-3, Caddy CTS
Old 05-27-2010, 07:07 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
$15k price range for FI is going to mean...beat the crap older cars.... You can maybe find a really used tc/ss for that.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by northvibe
$15k price range for FI is going to mean...beat the crap older cars.... You can maybe find a really used tc/ss for that.
nah 15k can get a nice car way better then the balt, I found a Saab 9-3 for 15,998 with 30k and I would never go balt to balt again never.

push it to 17-18k and you get a 05 low mileage CTS.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by madmark
i think its acutally the way people treat their cars, i never had one problem with my cobalt, for 2 years no rattles or anything
Yeah well that sucks, I just bought it this february and as time goes I keep noticing things. It only had 34,000 when I bought it so I thought it would be good and treated nice.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:29 PM

before i got my balt i was looking at lexus is300. im sure u can find one with decent miles for around 10k.

for 15k, go pick up a used STI or something.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:50 PM

Sounds like you just got a used cobalt that was beat to hell. I've had my car for 3 years now and I got mine used. Since then I haven't had one thing go wrong, that I didn't cause on my own. But I treat the car like gold, and I don't pretend that I'm Vin Diesel every time I hit the highway. Unfortunately with these cars it depends who had it before you, its just like and SRT-4, chances are the first owner fucked it up... its a risk you take with used cars especially FI ones.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:23 AM

Yeah, well looks like I got somewhat screwed. I did carfax it and turns out I'm the second owner. I kinda wanna find the guy that bought it and yell at him, but I'm not that crazy However all isn't bad. I did find a new love for GM and I love getting away from the ever so popular Honda crowd. I feel like I don't have to worry so much about thieves. Mr. Brightside, you know?

I either will buy a Cobalt SS/TC or wait for a Cruze SS if it exists. If it doesn't I may go with something else like a SRT-4 Caliber or even a new Camero, I'd hope it'd do good in the winter. No matter what, I'll drive this car for awhile. I'm gonna go get a full deep inspection on Tuesday that way I can put some of my worries to ease.

It's good to know I'm not the only one that got screwed and it's good to know that I'm not the only one with this problem. Not saying your misfortune makes me feel better, but it... does. Thanks all
Old 05-28-2010, 02:11 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the world of the a lot of plastic, el cheapo, entry level econo box cobalt
Old 05-28-2010, 02:03 PM

The fit and finish of a TC isn't any better than a SC, so if you've got issues with your SC, you may very well have the same issues with a TC; unless you feel you've got a lemon. The point is that some of the things that drive you nuts may be pretty common with Cobalts. Some people don't notice things or can live with things that others can't. Basically, take your car, add some power and an upgraded suspension, and you have something comparable to a TC. A GTI might be a good fit for you; have you considered one of those?
Old 05-28-2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by tmharsh
The fit and finish of a TC isn't any better than a SC, so if you've got issues with your SC, you may very well have the same issues with a TC; unless you feel you've got a lemon. The point is that some of the things that drive you nuts may be pretty common with Cobalts. Some people don't notice things or can live with things that others can't. Basically, take your car, add some power and an upgraded suspension, and you have something comparable to a TC. A GTI might be a good fit for you; have you considered one of those?

I don't know if I got a lemon, I'll find out after my inspection and well, I do like the GTI

The one I saw on autotrader is $16,000 and it's nice looking on the outside, just a little too subtle, I'm sure I can change that though.

However, the problem I have with this car in particular is the interior is ugly, I'll keep my eye out for a better one. Plaid seating is bad.

I'll do a little more research on them and see what I think.

You're recommendation of adding power and upgrading suspension seems like a winner too. Hm... don't know what to do
Old 05-28-2010, 03:33 PM
South Central *********

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
what about a new set of shocks and struts/bearings, you have to keep up with wear items to maintain ride quality
Old 05-28-2010, 03:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by EcoTecDriver
nah 15k can get a nice car way better then the balt, I found a Saab 9-3 for 15,998 with 30k and I would never go balt to balt again never.

push it to 17-18k and you get a 05 low mileage CTS.
and you think the build quality is that much better? I know a guy here that has a saab and it breaks weekly. All the other saab guys have some big hp 300-400+ on some but man its like rough...
Old 05-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by northvibe
and you think the build quality is that much better? I know a guy here that has a saab and it breaks weekly. All the other saab guys have some big hp 300-400+ on some but man its like rough...
sure as hell looks better.
people say there balts break too, its all about the driver use.