General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Made it just over a year in mint shape

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Made it just over a year in mint shape

Well my 06 SS sedan made it just over in perfect shape, no dents or scratches, only two minor nicks in the paint on the front bumper from rocks. Then on my way to work saturday I am sitting at a red light putting my sunglasses into the center console when boom. Loud noise as the car lurches foward and my head hits the back of the seat as I am going WTF!?! I get out and some late 20's early 30's (granted I am only 27) woman is getting out of her 92 GMC Surburban asking if i am ok.

She says she tried to stop and the brakes just didn't stop her in time at 30mph, but i noticed no skid marks and that the entire time we were exchanging info and waiting for then dealing with the cop one of her two kids kept jumping around in the back seat of the truck. Oh I forgot to mention the road at that point has two straight lanes and one left turn lane, so i was in the "middle" lane....there was noone on my left side inthe turn lane, no oncoming traffic, and no cross traffic as the light had just turned green for the oncoming left turn lane and that car was already in the intersection acroos from me, she didn't even attempt to swerve to avoid the hit.

So I am waiting for the cops looking at the damage of my nice car, when i hear her on her
cell yelling at her boyfriend about how he forgot to put the new insurance card in the truck or give her her liscense back after they went out the night before. Yeah real nice. The cop took all my info and then started bitching at her to get off the phone and why didn't she have her license on her. He made a point of saying to me that the report will show she hit me without trying to avoid my car and then he looked at the car and said "You got a whole lotta damage back there."

The Trunk lid is caved in and cannot latch, the rear bumper is split in half lengthwise plus has two holes where her tow hooks punched through, the passanger taillight is cracked, the black trim on the inside of the trunk is cracked, the bottom part of the latch assembly in the trunk is broke, and the floorpan of the trunk under the trim where it comes up to meet the trunk lid is pushed about 3-4 inches in, not good i think on a unibody car. Her damage.... a slightly bent bumper and her Colts superbowl plate and frame bent.

So now on tuesday I get to go get the police report so i can make sure i have the right insurance info for her and then go talk to my insurance company about getting her company to get me a rental while my car is in at the dealership getting an estimate and mabye repaired. I doubt it is totaled but the body at the trunk being bent that far concerns me. And what really pisses me off, I only got done wiring up my two 12's and amp 3 days earlier.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:28 AM

i feel you bro. it wasnt a year but i had my car 4 months and one of best friends ran into the back of me. he caused 3500 worth of damage. he felt bad and thought i was going to kill him cuz he knew how much i took care of my car in the amount of time i had it. but i hope everything goes well for you.

jw got any pics for yourself and the insurance company ? they might come in handy
Old 09-17-2007, 12:30 AM

god, some people are just amazingly dumb.

I hope all works out and it doesnt cost you a dime. Are your subs okay?
Old 09-17-2007, 12:49 AM

thas a shame,go this long without any damage.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:59 AM

that blows. i went about a year and 3 months then a semi kicked some **** into my front end causing a grand in damage.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by effex80
god, some people are just amazingly dumb.

I hope all works out and it doesnt cost you a dime. Are your subs okay?
everything is ok it was over a year ago now. but at that time i didnt have my sub in there. that god. it wouldve been bad if it was
Old 09-17-2007, 06:32 AM

Lawyer up. Never fails to know what to expect.

Did you take pictures? They always help. Anyone with a cell phone that takes pictures should be clicking away if it ever happens to them. When I had my work accident, a few people took pictures, but they all amazingly disappeared. Interestingly enough, they also got pay raises. ******* sell outs.

It also helps the officer put down she failed to try to avoid hitting you. Red light, no skid marks, kid hopping around in back, and non-stop on her cell phone... looks real good for you. Even if what she says is true about the brakes not working, that's mechanical failure and is her fault for not maintaining her vehicle. I do hope you have pictures, as your skid marks will also be able to tell if she was speeding.

Lawyer up anyway, regardless of how things seem to be going. Sounds like everything should go on her insurance, not yours. Unless Indiana is one of those whack ass no fault states. I'd also see about getting yourself checked up. Sport utility rear ending a compact is a lot of momentum, and will have some effect on you.

j
Old 09-17-2007, 06:46 AM

a lawyer is a must!! I was at a dead stop with turn signal on and was hit from behind by a lady in a neon going about 30mph. Her insurance company was jerks there offer wouldnt even cover the damages to my car.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:43 AM

No the subs and amp are fine they were deep enough that they were safe. At the time i didn't even think of getting pics, I've been lucky driving for 11yrs and this is my first wreck ever. I am going in to get checked out by a doctor tomorrow, work is kinda an ass and not goona give me time off to get checked out so i have to go on my off days. In Indiana the person who does the rearending is automaticly at fault, that even includes sideswiping behind the rear wheel wells. They figure that if you hit someone that way you were failing to let them merge.

I figure I am in pretty good shape insurance agent wise, he's an old buddy of my grandfather who sold insurance when he was alive, so they take good care of us and are already ready to start going after her company. And if I need a lawyer my best friends uncle runs a law firm. I am gonna get some pics tomorrow and post them.