General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Need an SS owner from Illinois to inspect a Cobalt

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need an SS owner from St.Louis/Illinois to inspect a Cobalt

I live on the west coast, and out here there aren't a whole heck of a lot of used SS/TCs available for sale around here.

I tracked down a nice one that someone's selling in Granite City, Illinois (near St. Louis) at a price I can live with. Obviously I can't easily trek down there to check it out, so I'd like to ask if anyone who lives nearby would be willing to check it out for me. It's an '09, but it has HEAVY miles for its year (24k!!!), so I know it's been driven hard. I'm also worried about rust due to road salt. I'd love to have a fellow SS owner to check it out and tell me if it's worth pursuing.

Anyone care to help a potential owner-to-be out?

Last edited by XStylus; 10-22-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by XStylus
I live on the west coast, and out here there aren't a whole heck of a lot of used SS/TCs available for sale around here.

I tracked down a nice one that someone's selling in Granite City, Illinois (near St. Louis) at a price I can live with. Obviously I can't easily trek down there to check it out, so I'd like to ask if anyone who lives nearby would be willing to check it out for me. It's an '09, but it has HEAVY miles for its year (24k!!!), so I know it's been driven hard. I'm also worried about rust due to road salt. I'd love to have a fellow SS owner to check it out and tell me if it's worth pursuing.

Anyone care to help a potential owner-to-be out?
rust? road salt? its a brand new car it hasnt seen road salt yet. i live in the midwest and have for a long time. it take awhile for cars get get rust from the salt on the roads and really most places around here dont even use salt any more. i would be more worried about the 24k for miles sounds like alot
Old 10-22-2009, 10:03 PM

PM sent.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:58 AM

Nevermind. A carfax report indicated that the car was in a rear-end collission.

Dealer was down to $15990. Would've taken it if its history was clean.

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/in...lASC&cardist=0
Old 10-23-2009, 02:15 AM

bwahahaha thats a local members car. Definitely steer VERY CLEAR of it. Even he would tell you that!!!
Old 10-23-2009, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by CordiaDOHC
bwahahaha thats a local members car. Definitely steer VERY CLEAR of it. Even he would tell you that!!!
What's the story on it?

(BTW: Dealer was shocked when I told him the carfax report shows an accident on it. Apparently it takes 30 days for them to show up on carfax. Your friend must've been quick after the accident to get rid of it.)
Old 10-23-2009, 04:26 PM

What's the story on it?

(BTW: Dealer was shocked when I told him the carfax report shows an accident on it. Apparently it takes 30 days for them to show up on carfax. Your friend must've been quick after the accident to get rid of it.)
Skittle lover: LOL those ************* said they sold it already DONT buy it. turns out my steering rack was broken, the back rotors are destroyed (pads too),the tires are bald as hell, the tranny deffinately has a few teeth missing off some of the gears(probaly 2nd and 3rd), and i know for a fact the clutch is just about shot....the jokes on them. lol i love how they say MINT with a burn hole in the seat and all, what morons makes me laugh knowing they are trying like hell to rape someone

oh and with no muffler lmao also the interior rattles like no other probably gonna fall apart(thank you subs)

Old 10-23-2009, 08:37 PM

Skittle lover: LOL those ************* said they sold it already DONT buy it. turns out my steering rack was broken, the back rotors are destroyed (pads too),the tires are bald as hell, the tranny deffinately has a few teeth missing off some of the gears(probaly 2nd and 3rd), and i know for a fact the clutch is just about shot....the jokes on them. lol i love how they say MINT with a burn hole in the seat and all, what morons makes me laugh knowing they are trying like hell to rape someone

oh and with no muffler lmao also the interior rattles like no other probably gonna fall apart(thank you subs)

How much of that was a result of the accident, and how much of it is from driving the hell out of it?

I kinda figured it'd be a bit "excessively loved" with it having 24k miles on it. :P
Old 10-23-2009, 10:39 PM

How much of that was a result of the accident, and how much of it is from driving the hell out of it?

I kinda figured it'd be a bit "excessively loved" with it having 24k miles on it. :P
honestly have no knowledge of an accident. Just what was posted.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:59 AM

honestly have no knowledge of an accident. Just what was posted.
Is he on this forum at all?

As for that burn mark... was he a smoker? Heh... the history on this thing keeps getting better and better. I knew I was lowballing when I offered $12.5k, but... damn. Kinda spot on now.

Heh... crazy thing is even now I'd still consider taking it. I'd take the savings and use it to swap in a 6-speed Saab F40 tranny, and any Cobalt I get will eventually get new rear rotors and brakes anyway since the stock ones are notoriously ****. Only remaining variable would be the steering rack... just cross fingers and hope warranty would cover that one. Should still be valid so long as he didn't do any mods (er... he didn't, did he?).

Only thing that'd make me hesitate is the question of lasting damage from the accident though, and now that burn. FRQ_FLYR was kind enough to drop by and peek at the car and said the right-side decklid was off skew a bit. And that burn mark... Ugh.

Ahh what if's. It'd be a fun project, and a great story to tell on the forums. I'd sure as hell treat her a lot better than the previous owner did. More likely the dealer'll auction it off though.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:08 AM

I do not know if he is on here or not nor I do not know of the modification history of the car.
From what I can tell the car was never tuned though.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:04 PM

Is he on this forum at all?

As for that burn mark... was he a smoker? Heh... the history on this thing keeps getting better and better. I knew I was lowballing when I offered $12.5k, but... damn. Kinda spot on now.

Heh... crazy thing is even now I'd still consider taking it. I'd take the savings and use it to swap in a 6-speed Saab F40 tranny, and any Cobalt I get will eventually get new rear rotors and brakes anyway since the stock ones are notoriously ****. Only remaining variable would be the steering rack... just cross fingers and hope warranty would cover that one. Should still be valid so long as he didn't do any mods (er... he didn't, did he?).

Only thing that'd make me hesitate is the question of lasting damage from the accident though, and now that burn. FRQ_FLYR was kind enough to drop by and peek at the car and said the right-side decklid was off skew a bit. And that burn mark... Ugh.

Ahh what if's. It'd be a fun project, and a great story to tell on the forums. I'd sure as hell treat her a lot better than the previous owner did. More likely the dealer'll auction it off though.
my trunk is not perfectly straight either. the left side sticks out farther then the right side. Its not really noticible unless your looking.. Infact alot of the gaps on the car are off. As far as i know my car has never been hit. I did buy it with 8,000 miles. Your pretty lucky to find a cobalt with perfect gaps.. As far as interior rattles.. Mine rattles alot to and cracks and squeaks... Its a cobalt.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:14 PM

lol you guys know you can go to the dealer and they will fix a lot of the squeaks and rattles if your under warranty right?
Old 10-26-2009, 01:14 AM

yes then it would be at the dealer every other week.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:53 AM

lol you guys know you can go to the dealer and they will fix a lot of the squeaks and rattles if your under warranty right?
The subject is moot now. I just found myself a fully loaded '08 locally with 125 miles (notice there's no 'k' beside that number) for $16k OTD. Just drove it home a couple hours ago. I guarantee you my pen on the dotted line was faster than the most souped up Cobalt.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:25 AM

lol to the las response
Old 10-26-2009, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by rckrz6
yes then it would be at the dealer every other week.
damn near it! lol its going back this week. but the dealer is 3 blocks away and I can walk to work or use the eclipse so I dont car I will nail them for everything while its under warranty