General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

needing advice and info...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question needing advice and info...

k so i just got my license and am makin enough to pay for a car. i have been lookin at the cobalt for a while and am stuck. i want to get the LS coupe with the ISB sport package or whatever, although i like the ss a lot more but dont think im good enough to drive a manual. that or i am too lazy. i dont really care about the extra horsepower either. basically it is just the look of the ss. is there anyway i could put the extra molding on the ls coupe to make it look like the ss? the second thing i'm stuck with is i'm not sure what color. i like the black because its amazing, but i like the orange just because it is so different and amazing too. i'm just worried that the orange won't look as good as i would hope. as you can guess, i have no clue on what to do.. help...??
Old 04-19-2005, 12:03 AM

OK, first.............don't dress up something that isn't!!!! People will laugh at you for it. Second, black is very nice but you'll have to wash it..........OFTEN. Third, although the orange is a great color, it may polarize people....in other words, they like it or hate it. Go with your own instincts and pick what you liked first. Often your first thought is the correct one. As for money, don't put yourself into a situation where you are car poor....that is, you have a great car but can't go out on a date!!!
Old 04-19-2005, 12:21 AM

i would check with insurance too

it might be more than you think and then you'll really be broke!

i would probably go the SS. Learning manual isnt that hard and its worth it in the end. Im not sure how much price difference there is between the LS and the SS but i would probably go the SS if you like it more. Like betterthanbad said, if you fix up a LS like a SS you'll get laughed at
Old 04-19-2005, 12:24 AM

learn the manual. you never truly enjoy driving untill you can control the whole car
Old 04-19-2005, 12:31 AM

I've always had a manual car...............even took my first drivers test on it. I had a spat with the instructor who was a stickler for both hands on the steering wheel............I said,"how can you do that and shift at the same time" got my license anyway!!!! And, I've had a motorcycle license since I was 16!!!! If you like to drive, then standard is the way. It saves on gas too and the thrill is always there. I've had people say, "What about city driving? Stuck in traffic?" no problem........If I have to drive an automatic, it's just no fun..........nothing to play with!!!!!
Old 04-19-2005, 09:00 AM

no doubt go for the SS. you say HP doesnt matter?, well once you get behind the wheel of an SS it will the SS is only like $2000 more than the LS, so even if you wanted to put all ur body kit stuff on it would prolly be the same amount in the long run. manual is also real fun to drive (plus when ur girl wants to hold ur hand you can be like sorry i gota shift ) like evrybody said though call the insurance company before you do anything, cus yeah maybe u can afford the car, but you gota add in the insurance cost. (im paying $3000 a year for my SS )
hope i helped u out
Goodluck
Old 04-19-2005, 09:54 AM

Congrats on getting your license!!

Here's a couple thoughts for you:

-As someone said, black is gorgeous, but hard. Black looks beautiful when it's freshly cleaned, and like **** 5 seconds later because it gets dirty so fast. Orange is definitely a polarizer - some people love it, some people hate it.

-You really should at least try out a manual car. I only learned manual because I had to (my parents' car was when I got my license), but now I'm very very glad that I did. It's way more fun, makes you a better driver, and the ladies like it.

-You will get a lot of static from people about putting SS trim on a base coupe. I think that's BS. Personally, I prefer go to show. I'd rather drive around in a rusted out Fox body Mustang with a 5.0L than a gorgeous Civic with a 75hp 1.5L. But that's just me. If you're into a show car, I respect that. Wouldnt be my choice, but I respect it. But be prepared for ppl on forums like this to give you some **** about it, because they usually don't like it. Just ignore them. HOWEVER, I will say this; keep an open mind. You may find that you start to care more and more about speed as you drive more. I sure did. When I bought my first car, I don't think I even knew what it's 0-60 time was. I do now, and each car I've bought has been progressively faster and faster. I'm just saying maybe wait and think about it for a bit - it'd suck if 6 mths from now you end up really regetting your purchase, wishing you'd gotten that SS!

-Last - take it easy out there. I'm 22, and I got myself a bigass speeding ticket after I'd had my license for a not terribly long time, and wow, if I could take anything in my life back, that'd be right up there. It's cost me soooo much money. Totally not woth it. I'm not saying you have to drive like grandma, but don't wind up killing yourself, or worse, getting a ticket that'll drive up your insurance rates.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by DanM
Totally not woth it. I'm not saying you have to drive like grandma, but don't wind up killing yourself, or worse, getting a ticket that'll drive up your insurance rates.
Anyone else notice that he basically said getting a ticket is worse than getting killed?
Old 04-19-2005, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by skyhiforyou
k so i just got my license and am makin enough to pay for a car. i have been lookin at the cobalt for a while and am stuck. i want to get the LS coupe with the ISB sport package or whatever, although i like the ss a lot more but dont think im good enough to drive a manual. that or i am too lazy. i dont really care about the extra horsepower either. basically it is just the look of the ss. is there anyway i could put the extra molding on the ls coupe to make it look like the ss? the second thing i'm stuck with is i'm not sure what color. i like the black because its amazing, but i like the orange just because it is so different and amazing too. i'm just worried that the orange won't look as good as i would hope. as you can guess, i have no clue on what to do.. help...??
I would reccomend you find out how much your Insurance Will be. If you have a co-signor you might be able to get the car, but chances are under 20, with your car payment and Insurance you will pay $500-$600 (that's take home pay) a month or more... and well, when you are in your teens: Do you really want all your money going towards transportation?
Old 04-19-2005, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by cobaltchris
I would reccomend you find out how much your Insurance Will be. If you have a co-signor you might be able to get the car, but chances are under 20, with your car payment and Insurance you will pay $500-$600 (that's take home pay) a month or more... and well, when you are in your teens: Do you really want all your money going towards transportation?
He is right you should really think about it... I am 19 and I happen to be very lucky and Own my own store so I can afford (barely) to buy a cobalt and live also. Your insurance will be anywhere from 2500 to 5000 a year possibly more thats 200-400 bucks a month just on insurance... think b4 you buy thats all
Old 04-19-2005, 10:23 PM

Get a stick! everyone should learn how to drive a stick when they are 16. its not that hard. when u have a stick u watch out for everything more then the auto at first. then after 8 years of driving a stick like i did then get a auto. im 23 and getting my first auto in 6th months
Old 04-19-2005, 11:46 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ss xtreme
Get a stick! everyone should learn how to drive a stick when they are 16. its not that hard. when u have a stick u watch out for everything more then the auto at first. then after 8 years of driving a stick like i did then get a auto. im 23 and getting my first auto in 6th months
I learned stick too when I was 16. On a Geo Storm

I wouldn't recommend learning stick until you can at least drive at a decent level.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by zinner
I learned stick too when I was 16. On a Geo Storm

I wouldn't recommend learning stick until you can at least drive at a decent level.

I learn on a new 97 s10 back in the day lol. when i was 16 learn in 3 days but your right he shouldn't learn on a baltss/sc because he be ridding the clutch. im happy for u baltsss/sc owners.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:44 PM

personally i would go with a base coupe 5 speed, if your not looking for the extra hp. and if u like the look of the ss body kit look up rksport they have a very nice body kit available for base coupe. and in my opinion and alot of others people opinion, its the nices and simplist body kit out. its actually a lip kit i believe. look into it. you might be impressed with it.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by ss xtreme
I learn on a new 97 s10 back in the day lol. when i was 16 learn in 3 days but your right he shouldn't learn on a baltss/sc because he be ridding the clutch. im happy for u baltsss/sc owners.
i know stick somewhat but not to well so im going to be learning on the SS is it an easy car to learn on... is the clutch easy?
Old 04-20-2005, 08:40 PM

Wink

Originally Posted by plyboy-illest
i know stick somewhat but not to well so im going to be learning on the SS is it an easy car to learn on... is the clutch easy?

just go to the country and have one of your parents go with u.make sure u don't ride the clutch. take the foot off the clutch real slow. keep doing that for awhile. when u have a hang of that u can prob push on the gas and shift. make sure u pass 2,000rpm when shifting. and don't ride the clutch.

Happy clutching