General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

New Product from N2MB Racing: The WOT Box!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 12:13 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Product from N2MB Racing: The WOT Box!

Add No-Lift Shifting and 2-Step Launch Control to any Cobalt!

Details available in our group buy thread:
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=122360

Last edited by phrozen; 07-15-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:42 AM
Former Vendor

Bump... Get your WOT Box now....
Old 07-17-2008, 09:57 AM

very interested... where would i send payment if i was interested.. :-)
Old 07-17-2008, 03:16 PM
Former Vendor

Click the US flag in the first post... Thanks.
-Jon

Originally Posted by phrozen
Click the US flag in the first post... Thanks.
-Jon
Err, I mean the first post in the thread I linked to in the first post...

Last edited by phrozen; 07-17-2008 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-11-2009, 12:12 PM

did a lot of people buy these? I was curoius how the launch control works? is it cutting fuel? or cutting ignition? or timing? or all? what sorts of bad effects could or does using this product have on the ecotec 2.2 l61 cobalt ls have? anyone install and use here that can give an honest opinion?
Old 11-11-2009, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was thinkin the same thing does it work on 2.2l l61?
Old 11-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it works by cutting out the spark to random cylinders to keep the rpm's at your preset amount. thats why the flames and loud explosions come from the exhaust. cause since the cylinder isn't firing, all the unburnt fuel is then being ignited in the exhaust
Old 11-11-2009, 11:08 PM

seems like this would be hard on plugs and piston rings... not something that you would want to do often. I was kind of hoping the supporting vendor would come fill me on their great product and it's applications since this is their thread for their product... this threads over a year old and I can't find any other threads that say good or bad input. I have come across a couple cobalt videos testing this product on an SS/SC and it seems pointless even more so if you own a SS/TC. I was interested just for the No lift shift feature but I would need to know much more about it before I would subject my motor to that kind of stress without having a proper tune for it.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:41 PM

i believe i explained the difference. go outside start your car, hold your rpms at??? 2k rpm... tell me how much boost your making... your in vaccum. if u have a 2step, hold the 2step at 2k... your producing boost. me since i have boost reduction in first i produce 9 lbs on the 2 step. if im not using the 2step im producing zero boost. as for the NLS. between shifts how much boost do you have? zero it goes down to 20 vac? 25 vac? me when i use NLS i produce 15.5 lbs of boost between shifts. that being said i bang gears now and get a nice tug between shifts. im sure this will work on l61's as given your set up basically like a lsj... thats where the company will have to answer your question if it will work on yours or not
Old 11-11-2009, 11:42 PM

I accept with information: it works by cutting out the spark to random cylinders to keep the rpm's at your preset amount.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:17 AM

I wish people would not get butt hurt and just read what I wrote... this further leads me to believe this is a useless item. Supercharged cars make boost as soon as you wide open throttle. Now can you be wide open throttle in first gear with out spinning regardless of launching or not. So my question is why do you need boost if your already spinning? maybe you don't have that much power? Maybe you don't get what I am saying either way I just don't care to argue with people that have no knowledge on the questions at hand. I just wish the so called supporting vendors on this website would actually support instead of just posting product threads and taking peoples money.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:44 AM

yo u fit the definition of the word asinine. if u search correctly on css.net and youtube. you will see how much this product is loved and the difference it makes. theres a video somewhere on youtube. a gu ran down the track w/out the 2step and nls and with. he shaved 8 tenths of the 1/4 mile off his time with ONLY adding this product when used correctly. look for hatrickstu on streetfire.net dood rapes at the track in his ss/sc. and this company does support tremendously. the guy phrozen gave me his personal email just to help me out with an issue i had on MY end of using the product to help me out on a sunday afternoon. it was the products fault it was my lack of knowledge with electronics. don't knock N2MB dood. theres are reason why they are a vendor on css.net. because there product was tested and effective. they dont sell racing pedals and promise more whp and better times because they use a special metal in there pedels. feel what im saying? this product works and is crazy effective and u dont even gain ANY whp and tq. how is this useless idk. proof of it making a difference. yep
Old 11-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Former Vendor

Hi,

Sorry, I have been away from the forums. I may be slow on here, but I am always available at support@n2mb.com

Jay and I both answer that email from our computers and cell phones. So, it's hard not to get a response from us there.

Anyway, I'll see if I can catch up and answer some questions.

Yes, the launch control will not help you much if you are already spinning first gear at WOT. It may help your launches be more consistent because you can launch at the same RPM every time, but that won't be much help if you spin right away. The main point of launch control is for launching on slicks at the track. There it is almost required to launch consistently. If you watch almost anyone running low times with a FWD car, they will have launch control.

Now, the no-lift shift will help you on street tires with a supercharged car for a few reasons.
1. It will make no-lift shifting easier. No lift shifting is faster and will shave some time off your ET
2. You will still hold a bit more boost through the shift with no-lift shifting, so you will make power in the next gear faster.

#2 is the big reason for no-lift shifting on turbocharged cars. It makes a huge difference because of turbo lag. Without it, you'd have to wait a huge amount of time to rebuild boost after each shift. With no-lift shifting, you can hold almost all of your boost through the shift. On a supercharged car it is true that you won't have turbolag to deal with, but you still will need some time to rebuild boost after shifting if you do not no-lift shift.

So, my point is that you will see improvements using the no-lift shift on a supercharged car. It just won't be as large as on a turbocharged car. We've had guys with huge turbos shave up to 1 whole second in the 1/4 by going from regular shifting to no-lift shifting with the WOT Box. You won't get that, but you might pick up 0.2 to 0.3. The standard figure is 0.1 seconds per shift.

The launch control won't shave any time, but it will help you launch more consistently on slicks at the track.

Originally Posted by Cobaltsky05
did a lot of people buy these? I was curoius how the launch control works? is it cutting fuel? or cutting ignition? or timing? or all? what sorts of bad effects could or does using this product have on the ecotec 2.2 l61 cobalt ls have? anyone install and use here that can give an honest opinion?
It cuts ignition. The one major problem is with the launch control and catalytic converters. The unburnt fuel from the cut cylinders will burn in the cat and cause it to rapidly heat up. If you hold the launch control for too long, it will overheat and melt down. That is why we don't recommend that you use the WOT Box on cars with catalytic converters.

That being said, some people are fine with cats, particularly race cats. I have a race cat on my car and I beat on the launch control all the time. Justin, who works with us, has a WOT Box on a bone stock Cobalt SS/SC. He uses the launch control very sparingly to demo it for customers and has not blown his cats yet.

But, I really can't recommend that you use it with cats.

About the 2.2L engine: You can use the WOT Box with any cobalt and pretty much any car for that matter. We now have universal software that allows the WOT Box to work with just about anything. The ignition coil configuration does not matter.

seems like this would be hard on plugs and piston rings... not something that you would want to do often. I was kind of hoping the supporting vendor would come fill me on their great product and it's applications since this is their thread for their product... this threads over a year old and I can't find any other threads that say good or bad input. I have come across a couple cobalt videos testing this product on an SS/SC and it seems pointless even more so if you own a SS/TC. I was interested just for the No lift shift feature but I would need to know much more about it before I would subject my motor to that kind of stress without having a proper tune for it.
Pistons and rings should be ok, although you do want to use the launch control sparingly. I wouldn't sit on the launch control for 10 minutes to make noise in a parking lot. You may have a problem then. But a few seconds before launching should not be a problem.

The WOT Box makes sure to re-fire any cylinders that are dropped so that any one cylinder will not be without spark for too long. That prevents cylinder wall washing from the unburnt fuel.

I also agree that is somewhat pointless on the newer SS/TC because they have no-lift shifting built-in. However, some SS/TC owners have bought the WOT Box with just launch control because I believe the stock launch control is not adjustable. That is a big problem for launching on the track because you will want to adjust your launch RPM for the amount of power you are making, the track conditions ,etc...

Last edited by phrozen; 11-12-2009 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-13-2009, 01:51 AM

Thank you for your responses to my questions you seem much more rehearsed in what actually does happen when unburned fuel gets dumped with no spark and that's what I wanted to know and show it's more for the guy who spends most of his time at the track (qtr mile) with basically every other mod possible for traction there for you can actually launch at 5000 rpm or higher, not for me but still very cool.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:56 AM

vids??
Old 11-13-2009, 08:43 AM
Former Vendor

Thank you for your responses to my questions you seem much more rehearsed in what actually does happen when unburned fuel gets dumped with no spark and that's what I wanted to know and show it's more for the guy who spends most of his time at the track (qtr mile) with basically every other mod possible for traction there for you can actually launch at 5000 rpm or higher, not for me but still very cool.
You are right about the launch control, but I think you are missing the no-lift shift. Anyone can use the no-lift shift in almost any situation.

I personally don't use the launch control much because I don't have time to get to the track that often, but I use the no-lift shift every time I accelerate through more than one gear...

Originally Posted by berto
vids??
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...deo_view_count

and

http://www.npcompleteperformance.com/wotboxinaction

Last edited by phrozen; 11-13-2009 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-13-2009, 09:51 AM

i see that you have this product for ss/sc cars. do you have a specific one for us 2.2L? cuz our setup is slightly different and the only part of the wot box i would like is the no lift shifting.

and thank you for all the info and thanks cobaltsky05 for asking the same questions i had about this product.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by stenguyen1
i see that you have this product for ss/sc cars. do you have a specific one for us 2.2L? cuz our setup is slightly different and the only part of the wot box i would like is the no lift shifting.

and thank you for all the info and thanks cobaltsky05 for asking the same questions i had about this product.
It is exactly the same on all cars. Since we cut power to the positive side of the ignition coils, it doesn't matter what coil configuration you have. You can anything from a single coil and distributor setup through V8 with coil on plug. They all can use the same WOT Box.

The software is the only part that is different. With our software you can set the RPM source and number of cylinders, plus other settings. That way you can adjust it to work on any car.

The wiring will be different, but it should all be available on our website. I know many people have installed on the 2.2. If you have questions, just email us at support@n2mb.com
Old 11-13-2009, 11:41 AM

you say this works for every car but when i see it on your website it shows the 2.2 lt model. so will it work with the ls model also?
Old 11-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by stenguyen1
you say this works for every car but when i see it on your website it shows the 2.2 lt model. so will it work with the ls model also?
Yes. I just haven't fully updated the website.

I just checked our order history and easily found half a dozen installations on LS model cobalts.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:45 AM

is it possible for you to give me some links or pics or videos of the wot box on the 2.2? or maybe if they are on ss.net i can send them a pm about how they like it?
Old 11-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Former Vendor

Here are some videos:
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

I don't have anything specific to the 2.2. It will work the same on the 2.2 as the SC.

I'll see if I can get the 2.2 installer ss.net names. I don't have them.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:51 AM

alright thanks man.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:31 AM
Former Vendor

Hi, I got a reply from one of the 2.2L customers. I'll PM you his email address and you can ask him what he thinks about the WOT Box on the 2.2. Thanks!