General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

The (non)official "What are your goals?" thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The (non)official "What are your goals?" thread

Some information first, to make this interesting:

1. Any project cars in the past? If yes, make/model and extent of modifications. Any other information like dyno numbers, quarter mile times, etc.
2. Purpose of your Cobalt (daily driver, track car, rally, etc.).
3. More detailed plans/goals for your Cobalt (horsepower numbers, forced induction, nitrous, 1/4 goals,etc.)
4. Appearance: Rims? Tires? Bodykit? Wing? Underglow? How do you want your exterior appearance to be setup? (Photoshops welcomed)
5. And finally: What will set your Cobalt apart, in your opinion, from the rest? How and why?

I know this is a bit premature on some levels, and maybe a bit cheesy..but, seriously..we're all just twiddling our thumbs waiting. Might as well have SOME fun talking about our future babies. My thoughts, anyway. I'll go first in the next post...
Old 09-15-2004, 08:32 PM

1. Any project cars in the past? If yes, make/model and extent of modifications. Any other information like dyno numbers, quarter mile times, etc.

1993 Probe GT. Started with the ASpec KLDE/03 engine. 2.5L V6, 164hp and 154 torque stock. I installed full catback exhaust and muffler. Then a ram-air intake. Drove it for a few years until #3 sucked in the headgasket (couple months ago), then I bought the KLZE Jspec motor. 196hp and 165 torque due to higher compression, better flowing heads and more aggressive cams. Mine, however, didn't come with the ECU or the intake manifold. I had to run the ASpec IM for a while, with a vacuum leak..but already I could feel the power difference. I out ran an Eclipse GS-T Spyder by about 3 cars. Now I'm locating a Jspec IM to swap on before I blow my valvetrain. Eventually, I'll be putting some form of forced induction setup on my Probe.

My Cobalt will start off as my daily driver. I need the security of warranty.

3. More detailed plans/goals for your Cobalt (horsepower numbers, forced induction, nitrous, 1/4 goals,etc.)

Eventually, once the warranty wears off or I get bored, I'm going to begin experimenting with the engine. Different setups. Maybe a centrifugal S/C...then perhaps a single turbo..then maybe a twin charger setup. I'd love to see how the engines take nitrous. So, putting on a 50 shot of dry n2o would be fun. My horsepower goals will be between 500-600whp, but traction issues will be my biggest worry. I wonder how strong the trannies are. With that much power, I expect to see 10's out of this baby. We shall see! All it takes is $$.

4. Appearance: Rims? Tires? Bodykit? Wing? Underglow? How do you want your exterior appearance to be setup? (Photoshops welcomed)

Shaved wing is a must! Then, rims/wheel combo, lowered and tinted. That should suffice. I'm not big into appearance mods, typically.

5. And finally: What will set your Cobalt apart, in your opinion, from the rest? How and why?

Other than my determination to tune the crap out of my motor, the experimenting I intend to do should keep my car interesting. All the various setups and methods for squeezing out every last bit of horsepower. I may end up getting into the design field too, and produce a few one of a kind items for the engine. Again, just $$. But I already have some good contacts. As long as there's tuning involved, I'll be good to go.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:45 AM
Moderator Alumni
Platinum Member

damn you expect a whole report eh :roll:

ive had a few project cars so im no gonna list them all but my 2 current are my 99 cavalier rs and my 71 scamp. The cavalier is built more for the track then the street but as you may have noticed it hasnt been driven in about 3 months. the scamp is just going to be restored cause i wanna win me some classic car shows 8)

my cobalt will be my new toy and ill be using my 03 cavy for a daily driver

as much as i can get out of it and keep it streetable and stock appearing for the sleeper look

stock stock stock stock stock

my cobalt wont be set apart till you see it run :P i want it to blend in seemlessly with every other cobat on the road i dont want it to stand out in the least

thats all i feel like typin so the end
Old 09-16-2004, 12:00 PM
Premium Member

^^^ You should do one thing to the exterior that is noticable...so that people will KNOW to race you...then when they try....you blow them away
Old 09-16-2004, 01:22 PM
Premium Member

well i had a 93 base model probe that was scraped do to my brother needing money and i was out of the states. now i have my 04 cavalier and looking to swap a 2.4 ecotec and a ss 5 speed or saab 6 speed(my dreams)
the SS would be a daily driver unless i dont do what i want to the cavalier. in that case......RALLY HERE I COME!
at least 270-300 hp and AWD
4. Appearance: Rims? Tires? Bodykit? Wing? Underglow? How do you want your exterior appearance to be setup?
some kind of new wing and a new lip kit to give it a different look
the fact that it would be my cobalt and not anyone elses
Old 09-17-2004, 12:47 PM
Premium Member

Well, I was planning on modding my 94 Z24 a little more after I finish school and have more cash, but I think I will sell it and buy a Cobalt instead. I don't know if this counts, but I have a 1980 Chevrolet Cheyenne 4x4 Regular Cab Shortbox. GM 350 H.O. Deluxe, 4 speed tranny (soon to be TH400). 4 inch suspension lift, BFG 33" MudTerrains. Redneck roll bar . It's a hick truck I know, but fun.

Daily driver, will see the track the odd time.

Mild bolt-ons, probably S/C pulley and ECM programming. 250+ hp.

4. Appearance: Rims? Tires? Bodykit? Wing? Underglow? How do you want your exterior appearance to be setup?
Depending where I live after school, I would like to lower it a bit, to about the level of the lowered chops we've been seeing. Also tinting and possibly wing shave and underglow, but otherwise the body work is gonna remain stock.

No one else where I live will have one, and the SRT drivers suck so I'll burn them. I look forward to racing the early 90's Mustangs and Camaros as well. It will look better then any other cars around there... STOCK.[/b]
Old 09-17-2004, 03:58 PM

Good posts people! Keep 'em coming. In a few months/years when you have your Cobalt, you can look back and read over your original goals and see how close or far off base you were.