General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Old newbee questions....lol

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 11:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old newbee questions....lol

It's been a while since I was on here. Originally from the HHR family. But my daughter was gifted a 2006 Cobalt LS sedan with only 51K on the clock. She gets her permit next week and we are going to start working on this.

Background, my mom purchased this car used in 2007 with 11K and used it until she was no longer allowed to drive last year. My daughter had always told her she wanted it, and low and behold, she gave it to her last year. Since she could drive yet, it was left with some family members, and this past weekend we brought it home. It's a base LS, but does have cruise we added back in 2007 for my mom.

Routine maintenance has been kept up and car runs great. I'm going to replace the timing chain tensioner with the latest model. Needs a lot of cleaning, which will result in some father/daughter bonding time. Paint is in good shape, no dings and minor scratches except the passenger side rocker panel is dinged pretty good, but was like that when we acquired it back in 07. Just out of curiosity, is that easy to replace? No biggie if it's not. Not sure if the inner panel is damaged, or just the outer.

One thing I do want to do is upgrade the sound system, nothing fancy, but the door speakers are pretty bad, probably looking like the stocks in the HHR when I replaced those. But speakers are easy. What I'm running into online is, what receiver I can put in and keep the chimes and DIC. I checked with crutchfield and they state to keep the DIC functions, I need a $170 install kit which includes the DIC buttons, but the factory buttons are not on the receiver, but between the center stack and dash. They also state for some reason, to keep the chimes and DIC functions, only a single DIN can be installed.

I'm not going with a high dollar system for a 15 y/o first car, but this install kit is about as much as the receiver/speakers I was looking into. I want her to have BT and she wants an AUX jack. Just some decent sound for now.

If anyone can shed some info on the rocker panel, I might look into replacing that, but it's not a priority.

But I would appreciate any info on what is indeed needed to replace the receiver and have the chimes and DIC function. Or is this kit the only way?
Old 04-18-2018, 11:31 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
You should be able to swap another radio from an +07 to get the AUX jack, but I'm not sure if you would be able to add BT without a lot of hassle.

Since it's a base, the rocker panel isnt a separate body piece, and integrated in the door frame, it's one big ass body piece from front of door frame to rear bumper basically. So bondo and paint is likely the only option (likely why it didn't get fixed originally, it's something like 17h of labor to remove)
The following users liked this post:
solman98 (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 11:42 AM

I though about a swap, I know my 06 HHR had the AUX jack. But wasn't sure if anything would have to be programmed or not. But BT is a must as GA has a new law, everything must be hands free. And we are stressing that to her now.....lol

Kinda figured the rocker wasn't going to work. Friend at a body shop can get the part, but he is unsure what might be under it...... Again, the rocker isn't a big deal. Car is straight other wise.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:17 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
I have a 2006 Cobalt LS. I installed an aftermarket regular receiver with no adapter module. The people at the audio store insisted I needed it but just cut wires and soldered the aftermarket harness straight in. My car still chimes like when you leave the key in with the door open. I lost absolutely no functionality whatsoever.

What DIC functions are you referring to that you are worried about losing? I didn't think any LS models came with steering wheel control buttons? I lost absolutely no functionality whatsoever with my 2006 Cobalt LS but I don't have steering wheel buttons.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
I have a 2006 Cobalt LS. I installed an aftermarket regular receiver with no adapter module. The people at the audio store insisted I needed it but just cut wires and soldered the aftermarket harness straight in. My car still chimes like when you leave the key in with the door open. I lost absolutely no functionality whatsoever.

What DIC functions are you referring to that you are worried about losing? I didn't think any LS models came with steering wheel control buttons? I lost absolutely no functionality whatsoever with my 2006 Cobalt LS but I don't have steering wheel buttons.
The DIC controls for the OLM and such are the ones I'm referring to. The controls are between the center stack and the dash, not on the steering wheel. So hard wiring works, so a regular wiring hardness to just plug into the factory should work as well? Since it's just a direct plug in.

From what I've read so far, seems like the 05/06 is a little different than the 07+ models.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:03 PM

I'm not sure which controls you are talking about. Would you mind posting up a picture?

If you're car is the same as mine than yes a regular wiring harness adapter should work.
solman98 (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 12:09 PM

@jdbaugh1 This is pretty much the same as we the one we have. I circled the controls between the stereo and dash.
Attached Thumbnails 2006-chevy-cobalt-ls-interior-2006-chevy-cobalt-interior-1-784-x-441.jpg  

Last edited by solman98; 04-23-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:13 PM

Yeah those buttons should still work. Those are the buttons you use to cycle through the digital display under the tac for temp, gas mileage, next oil change, etc. correct? My functionality for those was not affected in any way.
solman98 (04-23-2018)