General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Passenger door wont open...FFS

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 12:05 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Passenger door wont open...FFS

Anyone know what to do here? This has happened to me before but I've always managed to get it open by flapping the inner and outer handles rapidly, but this time thats not working..

I've tried the obvious stuff

-Pulling the inside + outside door handle rapidly which used to work but no luck this time
-Bumping my hip into the door and pulling
-Mucking with the manual lock over and over again and pulling etc...
-Giving the door a few smacks near the door handle...

-when you put your ear to the door latch area and pull the handles and manual lock post you can hear something going on in that area but it just wont open.

So nothings working, I've taken door panels off many many times but I can't even imagine how the hell to get it off with the door seized shut. Even if I do get the panel off inside what am I looking for? Isn't the latch mechanism buried behind door sheet metal?
Old 05-07-2018, 01:08 PM

Received 140 Likes on 120 Posts
did you try cussing at it??? lol

seriously though, i have no clue man! does it open at all or is like locked all the time?
Old 05-07-2018, 01:19 PM

Received 532 Likes on 456 Posts
Get a butterknife or palate knife and work inside the trim on the top. Should be able to pop a couple clips off then just work your way around.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by hawkssoccer11
did you try cussing at it??? lol

seriously though, i have no clue man! does it open at all or is like locked all the time?
lol yes I've tried cussing at it and it used to do it the odd time but furiously pulling both handles used to pop it loos, now I'm fudged.

Originally Posted by ProfDNS
Get a butterknife or palate knife and work inside the trim on the top. Should be able to pop a couple clips off then just work your way around.
Yeah I'm most concerned about where it goes behind the dashboard that inset if I'll have room, unless I just have to yank it hard out from behind it and risk breaking tabs.....I'll take a crack at it next weekend, cant see any reason I'll need the passenger door this week...God these cars are stupid

Last edited by StevoElSupremo; 05-07-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:52 PM

I had to do this once as a knucklehead friend of mine got the seatbelt buckle lodged in the frame and my door was jammed shut. I'll take a picture of how I did it when I get home.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by ProfDNS
I had to do this once as a knucklehead friend of mine got the seatbelt buckle lodged in the frame and my door was jammed shut. I'll take a picture of how I did it when I get home.
Awesome thanks so much I'll await the photos
Old 05-07-2018, 07:34 PM

Ok disclaimer - you may break some clips or the panel. If I remember correctly, I ended up having to buy a new panel from the junkyard after this.

Assuming you can still operate the window for the passenger side:

Step 1: Pull speaker clips.

Step 2: Separate the overhang rubber from the window and the door panel across the door

Step 3: Push on the butterknife (you may need multiple butterknives for better leverage) and start separating the door panel from the door

Step 4: Continue pushing upwards on the knife or knives until the clips come off. Continue on rest of top of panel and/or move to the side from inside the car.