General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Please help a new owner-a few issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help a new owner-a few issues

Hello .net,

I'm relatively new here, and have only had my car about a month. Its an 06 Cobalt SS with the Recaros... so it has the LSD.

Anyway, I have been experiencing a couple issues that I feel like the dealership is giving me the run around on.

First off, my car only has 30,000 miles, so it would be relatively safe to assume that there wouldn't be all that many problems with it. I don't think thats the case.

When I bought the car and took it home, I noticed that my intercooler fluid was low. So low in fact, that I couldn't see any flowing in the tube when it was running. I took it to the dealer when I had the chance and they put about a quart in (which is odd, considering its a 2 qt system). At first the techs had no idea that my car even HAD an intercooer-but thats beside the point. When they filled it, it started to miss. Heavily. They hooked the machine up and there were hundreds of misses all across the cylinders. I was standing right there as they messed with my car the whole time. I was rather visibly irritated at the inconvenience I was experiencing with my GM Certified Used vehicle that they wouldn't tell me to leave. HAHA.

I run it for the week, and it drops again. I take it in and they throw about a cup or two in and say they'll mark the level this time and see if it drops. Well, I had to put some in midweek since it was dry. I noticed that when I get on it heavily, the level drops out of sight within a mile ride to the gas station with no visible indications of overflow runoff. \

What the hell should I do? I feel like this is an issue that they'ne never going to resolve, and I can't seem to get it through to them what is going on.

Another problem... I notice that my car gets more and more difficult to slide into gears. I've driven stick for YEARS, and it would be safe to say, I know how to do so. (3 S-10s, 2 Fieros, a Nissan truck-etc). It feels like there is a sharp spot that I have to force the shifter through to get into any gear, it doesn't fall in fluidly like it used to (needs bled?). Also, the grabbing point on the path of the clutch pedal is very different on each take-off. They test rode it and said it is fine. IT IS NOT FINE! It changes periodically, what the hell is a 1 mile test ride going to tell them?

PLEASE HELP ME GUYS! What should I do, say, bring up? I'm beginning to miss my 1995 Buick Riviera that I traded in

Really? Nobody? :'(

Last edited by Nacademus; 06-08-2010 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-08-2010, 01:50 PM

Do you have any sort of warranty? A clutch bleed may be needed and that is not a big deal but your intercooler issue may be a much hardder issue to fix.

Welcome and I'll lurk here to see what the answer is.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by importkiller
Do you have any sort of warranty? A clutch bleed may be needed and that is not a big deal but your intercooler issue may be a much hardder issue to fix.

Welcome and I'll lurk here to see what the answer is.
I have a 1 year/11,000 miles warranty. Thats why I HAVE to get this situated... otherwise I'm screwed and stuck in a car for longer than I'd like. The salesman told me it would be a 5 year warranty, but as I was signing papers, the finance guy told me that was incorrect. Had I known THAT, I wouldn't have bought the car...
Old 06-08-2010, 02:33 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
If I remember correctly, the LSJ's stock throwout bearing bleeds off pressure as you depress the pedal. Hence the unpredictable engagement points.

As for the disappearing intercooler fluid, I am willing to bet money that one of your laminovas are leaking into the intake manifold. Hence why the car began to miss when they added the fluid.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by chris88z24
If I remember correctly, the LSJ's stock throwout bearing bleeds off pressure as you depress the pedal. Hence the unpredictable engagement points.

As for the disappearing intercooler fluid, I am willing to bet money that one of your laminovas are leaking into the intake manifold. Hence why the car began to miss when they added the fluid.
LOL, thats what I told them, that it was LEAKING INTO THE INTAKE somewhere. They fricken thought that it was all once circuit... they initially checked my RADIATOR level and said "nope, looks full".

I am so mad right now guys. This situation seriously ***** me over. I work from 6:30AM to 6:00PM every freaking day. Its such a hassle to schedule an appointment each weekend 3 times in a month for nothing.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:00 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
I will no longer take my vehicle anywhere for any type of service, except for my own garage. The 5 year/100k warranty is total bullshit because even if your car is stock, they will still go to extremes in order to deny a repair.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by chris88z24
I will no longer take my vehicle anywhere for any type of service, except for my own garage. The 5 year/100k warranty is total bullshit because even if your car is stock, they will still go to extremes in order to deny a repair.
Yeah I just want my coolant leak to be solved before it costs me longevity...

I don't want to have to pay for anything either.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:54 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Nacademus
LOL, thats what I told them, that it was LEAKING INTO THE INTAKE somewhere. They fricken thought that it was all once circuit... they initially checked my RADIATOR level and said "nope, looks full".

I am so mad right now guys. This situation seriously ***** me over. I work from 6:30AM to 6:00PM every freaking day. Its such a hassle to schedule an appointment each weekend 3 times in a month for nothing.
Well eventually you have a case for a lawyer to get ahold of.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by umrdyldo
Well eventually you have a case for a lawyer to get ahold of.
I have no proof though...

I guess I'll have to document it more thoroughly each time I go there, and get written receipts of my appointments.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:16 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Nacademus
I have no proof though...

I guess I'll have to document it more thoroughly each time I go there, and get written receipts of my appointments.
You need to get a certified mechanic to write some kind of documentation that there is an issue.

Log each time you take it in.

Log what they tried and what they said. After a few times of going in you should have a nice set of logs to show a lawyer. Eventually if they don't find/fix it, you should get your money back for them selling you a lemon.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:42 PM

Update: After taking it there every weekend for a month or so, they finally did a dye test and confirmed that the laminovas were leaking into the intake. They are installing a new intake. They better replace the spark plugs while they're at it.

Anything else they should do concerning this issue, folks?