General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Possible '09 "Sport Appearance Package" car spotted in SoCal

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Possible '09 "Sport Appearance Package" car spotted in SoCal

Got a call this weekend from a good friend who's a big car guy. While driving around the Temecula/Murrieta area of southern California he spotted what he thought was a new silver SS Turbo. Thinking it might be my car since I drive through the area a lot and there aren't too many out here yet, he started working his way through traffic. As he got closer he noticed that it had the SS-style body kit and the new split five-spoke wheel design from the '08/09 SS but didn't have any "SS" badges on the rear or door. The car also did not have a pillar mounted boost gauge. As he dropped back he noticed that the car also had manufacturer plates on it.

I recall reading about it but haven't seen much info posted on it so I went back to take a look at the GM Media information on the '09 changes and reviewed the brief info on the new Sport Appearance Package that replaces the old Sport model for '09. It shows that it comes with a spoiler, body kit and 17" wheels. I'm guessing that's what he saw and if it were, then it would indicate they have a new 17" wheel design that's very similar to the SS's new 18" wheel. While that's not much different from the old 2.4L SS and Sport models I thought it was somewhat interesting they'd keep the theme of using a similar/near identical looking wheel on the non-performance model. If these were indeed production spec at least it opens up the options for those who like the look of the new wheels but have a hard time finding a set of take-off ones from a new SS.

He couldn't get a cell phone picture in time but I'll keep an eye out to see if pops up again. More than likely out for press testing since we see quite a few manufacturer cars in the area.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to bad no pics...
Old 08-11-2008, 12:13 PM

Wow. Factory rice????? GM
Old 08-11-2008, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by wardzach2007
to bad no pics...
look at my pics and imagine TC wheels? lol

Originally Posted by alleycat58
Wow. Factory rice????? GM

then whats a SS/NA? rice?
Old 08-11-2008, 12:22 PM

new colors?

Three new exterior colors: Silver Ice, Gold Mist and Silver Moss
Old 08-11-2008, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by XtortedCobalt
then whats a SS/NA? rice?
Only when the owners are trying to pass it off as an SS/SC, but that's not coming from the factory. GM didn't make it look EXACTLY like the SS/SC, though I will say I don't think it ever should have had the SS badge on it.

From what this guy discribes, in this case it looks identical to the SS/TC. What's the point?
Old 08-11-2008, 12:26 PM

People will know it's not an ss/tc still by looking at it. Not the same brakes!!! I want to see one of these if this is in fact what your friend actually saw.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:00 PM

My friend also noticed that the car had the smaller brakes. With that said he's into cars a lot and has been around my car but isn't a Cobalt owner, so it is possible he didn't recognize slight differences to the bumper covers and that they may in fact be closer to the previous 2.4L SS/Sport. The main point being from first glance he thought it was a new SS Turbo and I think other people less familiar could easily think the same thing.

It's not like that's something new. GM, Chrysler, and others have done the same thing. Personally I'll think it's funny if other drivers run across one and get too cocky and then have a run in with the "real" performance model. Just keep in mind this car could have been anything. Manufacturers test a lot of things and there's no guarantee this was even the new appearance package. But the pieces of the puzzle do suggest that may be possible and even likely.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:57 PM

sport appearance 09 is a 2.2l
Old 08-21-2008, 09:40 PM

Typical gm crap...don't want to make an automatic ss/tc so they just dress up the dog (2.4) to look like it and charge near the price of the ss/tc. Saturn started doing this with the redline before it was discontinued and basically the only difference was a 2.4 badge on the back.

Honestly I still can't tell the difference between most ss/sc's and ss's because I see plenty of the ss's with the spoiler of doom...and some ss/sc's with low rise wings. They need to add a functional scoop or functional brake vents or something.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by theneelster
Typical gm crap...don't want to make an automatic ss/tc so they just dress up the dog (2.4) to look like it and charge near the price of the ss/tc. Saturn started doing this with the redline before it was discontinued and basically the only difference was a 2.4 badge on the back.

Honestly I still can't tell the difference between most ss/sc's and ss's because I see plenty of the ss's with the spoiler of doom...and some ss/sc's with low rise wings. They need to add a functional scoop or functional brake vents or something.
The 2.4 no longer exists in the Cobalt. All 2009 Cobalts if not the LNF have the new 2.2L LAP with VVT. The 17" polished SS/NA wheels of old are in the 2009 ordering guide... so they're available on some form of the car; probably said sport package. There is also a twin spoke 17" wheel that has been available for the G5 and Cobalt... but don't worry it's not just a smaller SS/TC wheel, I believe it is polished and the spokes are more like the LS Sport Cavy wheels. And the sport appearance isn't meant to trick people into thinking it's a TC, case and point: the same package will be offered for the G5... and as of 2009 only one engine is offered in that car.

I wouldn't call it "factory rice" Alley... it's the same as what they did in 2003 when they killed the old 2.4 for the Cavalier but the higher trim with the lip kit, larger wheels and more standard features continued.

As for the SS trims looking alike... GM was dumb to not have the high rise as an option in the first place, some people want a more conservative look. The front and rear lips and larger wheels are enough to distinguish between the two and, who really cares if they look the same? The SS/SC is the car with the blower at the end of the day.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Acey
The 2.4 no longer exists in the Cobalt. All 2009 Cobalts if not the LNF have the new 2.2L LAP with VVT. The 17" polished SS/NA wheels of old are in the 2009 ordering guide... so they're available on some form of the car; probably said sport package. There is also a twin spoke 17" wheel that has been available for the G5 and Cobalt... but don't worry it's not just a smaller SS/TC wheel, I believe it is polished and the spokes are to the LS Sport Cavy wheels.

I wouldn't call it "factory rice" Alley... it's the same as what they did in 2003 when they killed the old 2.4 for the Cavalier but the higher trim with the lip kit, larger wheels and more standard features continued.

As for the SS trims looking alike... GM was dumb to not have the high rise as an option in the first place, some people want a more conservative look. The front and rear lips and larger wheels are enough to distinguish between the two and, who really cares if they look the same? The SS/SC is the car with the blower at the end of the day.
The spoiler was a dealer installed option for the RL...not for the ss/sc as far as I know.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by theneelster
The spoiler was a dealer installed option for the RL...not for the ss/sc as far as I know.
The SS/SC high wing was standard on 05 and 06 but was an option for 07. Yes the ION 3's with the sport thing were probably too close to Redlines but the sport package for the Cobalt is a good idea
Old 08-21-2008, 11:27 PM

http://www.automobilemag.com/am/99/2...s_options.html

here the description on the package

according to this you can make it a complete SS with leather and all with no turbo
Old 08-21-2008, 11:46 PM

I see no problem with Chevy offering a sport appearance on the 2.2l, but an automatic TC would be awesome.

After reading the Options list, I see Cobalts ordered for fleet service can have the OnStar and XM removed, saving $235. It's a shame GM has made them standard, whether you want them or not.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by LS6Rally
http://www.automobilemag.com/am/99/2...s_options.html

here the description on the package

according to this you can make it a complete SS with leather and all with no turbo
It's a bit vague - there's "Sport Appearance Package" and "Sport Accessory Package". The former says side body skirts and I can't imagine they'd do that unless it at least has the SS/NA fascias. "Sport Accessory Package" costs a fair bit more and includes "Ground effects package". I was initially a fan of the SS/NA clones, but if this $1,735 accessory package exactly replicates the TC, GM has royally failed IMO