General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Question for Amsoil users

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for Amsoil users

After much debating I went with Amsoil for my switch over to synthetic today (9920kms= about 6K miles)

Anyhow--my engine sounds different now, especaily at high rpms. I am sure its not a phycologial effect because I did not like the sound of the engine at high rpms before...but now I do.

Any other Amsoil users experinced this?
Old 02-16-2006, 07:07 PM
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am a huge AMSOIL advocate. Having used almost all of their formulations extensively (including their excellent SAE-60 weight racing oil) in both 2 and 4-stroke racing engines (from 1-12 cylinders) for well over 25 years. Depending on the application I've noticed marked improvement in things from idle quality and cold cranking speeds, to increased HP/TQ and throttle response. It's not unusual to notice audible changes in the engine as well, especially when cold, idle, or at max RPM. Their gear oils are phenomenal as well, and besides improved durability I have documented significant drops in sustained gearbox and axle temperatures immediately following swapping out the conventional gear oils/fluids.

I am currently STILL attempting to 100% confirm that AMSOIL ASL 5W-30 has been "LSJ" approved by General Motors under the GM4718M specification. According to the AMSOIL web-site, they HAVE achieved this standard- but I have yet to confirm this with documentation from GM. (AMSOIL is not listed on the last GM4718M approval list, published in May 2005)

If/when I can confirm this; I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.
Regards
WopOnTour
Old 02-16-2006, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WopOnTour
I am a huge AMSOIL advocate. Having used almost all of their formulations extensively (including their excellent SAE-60 weight racing oil) in both 2 and 4-stroke racing engines (from 1-12 cylinders) for well over 25 years. Depending on the application I've noticed marked improvement in things from idle quality and cold cranking speeds, to increased HP/TQ and throttle response. It's not unusual to notice audible changes in the engine as well, especially when cold, idle, or at max RPM. Their gear oils are phenomenal as well, and besides improved durability I have documented significant drops in sustained gearbox and axle temperatures immediately following swapping out the conventional gear oils/fluids.

I am currently STILL attempting to 100% confirm that AMSOIL ASL 5W-30 has been "LSJ" approved by General Motors under the GM4718M specification. According to the AMSOIL web-site, they HAVE achieved this standard- but I have yet to confirm this with documentation from GM. (AMSOIL is not listed on the last GM4718M approval list, published in May 2005)

If/when I can confirm this; I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.
Regards
WopOnTour
thanks for the reply. Being such a small company, compared to Mobil1, they have done pretty well.

Good luck communicating with GM--I find it rather frustrating sometimes!