General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Questions about buying a Cobalt

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about buying a Cobalt

I am thinking about buying a 2008 Cobalt SS, just wondering how owners like them (all Cobalts, not only the SS). Have you had any real problems with them? Is it still "the same car" that you test drove, or have you come to like it less? More? Would you buy one again?

I had heard that GM raised the redline RPM on the ecotecs a bit beyond where it should probably be so that they could claim higher horsepower numbers... any truth to that, and if so, what can the engine safely do? I'm not buying the car to race it ever, and I've only had my Grand Am to the redline twice... once to keep from ending up under a semi. That said, I'd probably never need to hit the redline if the horsepower numbers are what GM says, but I just want to know.

Is the RPO code G85 (Limited slip differential) a real, clutch pack limited slip differential, or is it a traction control system where the EBCM brakes the spinning wheel slightly? The salesman I spoke with thought it was the latter, but from what I've read, that "traction control" is standard whereas G85 adds roughly $450. Or is it just the standard traction control that simply limits engine torque when a wheel spins? That's the only traction control I've ever heard of on a car... and I can do that with my right foot... I don't need to pay $450 for the computer to do it for me! At any rate, a real limited slip differential on a FWD car would lower the "streetability" significantly, right? I can't imagine turning a corner with it if it has a high enough breakaway torque to help much on acceleration. I could feel the rear LSD on my 3/4 ton truck on tight turns, I wouldn't want to think about front on a small car!

Does the 2.0 Turbo have an A.I.R. pump for federal emissions, or just specific states? I saw a picture in some sales material at the dearership that had what sure looked like an A.I.R. pump running off a second belt. I think having an A.I.R. pump (and the related crap) might make me choose a different vehicle...

The closest Cobalt SS is over 1,000 miles away from where I live (which seems odd, because I'm 636 miles away from the assembly line). I am considering buying a Cobalt Sport, but can the 2.4s internals handle the power (safely) if I install a turbo on it?

I'm probably going to have an SS built just for me, but since the closest one is so far away, I can't test drive the SS before I buy it. What cars would you compare it to, I'm an automotive technician, so I'll bet I've driven just about any other car. From what I've heard, comparing a Cobalt SS Turbo to an Cobalt LT is like comparing a Camero to a Prizm.

Thankyou for any answers to the above questions.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:40 PM

I believe that the LSD is mechanical inside the diff and not run by the computer.

I like my cobalt, and have no regrets that I bought it. But I can't compare it to an SS just like you said. The LS, LT is basic transportation.

Read around, car reviewers even give the SS good Rep.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:56 PM

That's what I was leaning toward, on every question I asked about the car, the salesman had no idea. He knew about the colors and the wheels, but that was about it. Even the spoiler confused him, he tried to sell me two cars with the tall spoiler after I said I would prefer no spoiler at all.

I have probably read just about every review written on the SS, and everyone seems to love them. It's priced right at the very top of what I want to spend, so I want to be sure I'll still love it in a year.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:59 PM
Banned

I dont know what i would do if i had no cobalt!I love my carCOBALTS FTMFW!!!!
Old 07-17-2008, 05:34 PM

dude, ive had my 2005 cobalt SS for lil over 2 months now, and i dont know how i lived without it. its great. i wanna keep it forever
Old 07-17-2008, 06:23 PM

i've owned a decent amount of cars and honestly this gm car has had a decent amount of issues. had to replace the parking brake cable. had a massive leak of water soaking my passanger side floor,paint that chipped off just from closing the door. i've owned my car 4 months. but with all that i like it. i love the gas savings over my 5.9l dodge ram. gotta say my favorite feature is my remote start.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:27 PM

I must have looked for a new car for two years and nothing stood out, until I looked at the cobalt. I have a LT, and while its nothing close to a SS, Its still a great car, makes u stand out in the world of Civics.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:37 PM

I'm leasing a 2006 SS/SC, and over all I've been very happy with it. It's a fun car, affordable, and gets great gas mileage (if you drive it conservatively...)

I've had a few little quality issues with it.. shift cap came off, clothes hanger broke, sun roof rail mount broke, crank sensor went out on me, and the interior trim around the door controls is starting to chip away on the satin trim... These are the things I don't like about the Cobalt, and GM is that they use cheap plastic parts and the quality of them suck... Engine and trans I've never had a problem with...

So aside from those little quality issues, my experience with it has been great... The car goes back in 10 months... I'm thinking of trying a Solstice Coupe GXP, just because I want something that's going to be as fast, but different, and I'd hope the quality on that would be somewhat better... But despite the little issues if I couldn't get the Solstice, I'd probably get a 09 SS Turbocharged...