General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

SS/TC For LT? Opinions Please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SS/TC For LT? Opinions Please!

Okay so I bought my 2007 Victory Red Cobalt LT used in 08 for around 13K. It had around 24K miles, automatic transmission and was fully stock. My father and I decided it was a good deal, but this was before I knew anything about the Chevy Cobalt..
I bought a bodykit, highrise SS spoiler, had all the ugly random strips of side trim removed, tinted the tail lights and did some other minor detail work, and I'm not gonna lie, it really does look great.. Right down until you get to the 4X100 15" hubcaps (tear) which I also painted for some extra spunk. I had always planned on saving it until I had the money and doing some performance work, but as I looked into the 2.2L, theres not much available other than intakes headers and exhaust. Boosting isn't an option with the auto tranny, and I've decided switching that out for a manual and then boosting is just too much work and money. But mainly money haha. The costs seem to just keep adding up after that.. I could only boost around 8psi (safely) with the stock internals, which just isn't enough power.. Plus I want SS seats, gauges, sunroof and all the other options. For instance, even if I were to do all of this work to my car and pull it off, I'd still lack the traction control and other standard features on the SS.. It just doesn't seem worth it.
I get on this site every day and check out all the possibilities (which seem rather endless) for Ecotech 2.0 Turbo, and all I can do when I look at my car now is think of the lousy 155 horses under the hood. I'm starting to look around town for a used one to trade in, but the car isnt payed off, and im not fully sure its worth it.
Just wanting to know what everyone thinks.. I'm really into the Cobalt and I feel like I could find a used SS/TC for around the same price as mine which just pisses me right off haha.
Plus who wouldnt like the pioneer sound system, onstar, traction and launch control, leather heated seats, sunroof and friggin MANUAL TRANSMISSION over the LT?

Sorry for the ramble.. Just want some feedback! Thanks guys
Old 05-16-2010, 10:44 PM
Banned

Honesty I wouldnt go from a cobalt to a cobalt, I would get something new.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:47 PM
Banned

I went from a LS to a ss/sc i love these cars
Old 05-16-2010, 10:49 PM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ummm... actually you can boost an auto, several have done it. And I went from an LT to an SS, and I have absolutely no regrets.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:54 PM

im with all the others that upgraded to an ss.. i traded in an automatic 2.4 g6 for a 2010 ss/tc and i have absolutely no regrets! just make sure you get what you want and dont settle for less and you will have no regrets either! good luck!
Old 05-16-2010, 10:55 PM

If you can afford it, go for a TC. IMO anything lower than the 2.4L Sport is garbage and shouldn't be sold (even GM execs don't like it).

I would however consider other cars too and not just solely a TC, depending on your budget.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by EcoTecDriver
Honesty I wouldnt go from a cobalt to a cobalt, I would get something new.
I did think about it, but like I said, I'm sold on the Cobalt even as the LT I just love the look and feel. I'm gonna test drive a few and see how it goes from there.. To be honest, I've never even ridden in any SS SC or TC so I think it's partly just curiosity. My budget is about what it is now, but my payments are kind of high and I have a friend in the industry who could find me a certified used TC for a steal at an auction, so I'm hoping to pay about the same as I am now if not less.
And yeah I know the auto CAN be boosted I just feel its not the same, plus as I said the max safe boost pressure is around 8psi on the stock LT internals if I'm not mistaken, which wouldnt include traction control and all that jazz.. And after all that I'm in the hole around 3 or 4g at least which is completely impractical at this time in my life.. I'm not even 21 yet! I don't want to take out a second loan on top of college and the ridiculously high car payment just to mod.. I work enough as it is hahaha.
And btw.. I've been to about 3 or 4 Chevy dealers in my area and have found like 2 or 3 SS's on the entire lots.. These things aren't easy to come by unless you're looking for it straight off the assembly line!
.. Must be some satisfied SS/TC owners out there
Old 05-17-2010, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sufu
If you can afford it, go for a TC. IMO anything lower than the 2.4L Sport is garbage and shouldn't be sold (even GM execs don't like it).

I would however consider other cars too and not just solely a TC, depending on your budget.
I agree with your opinion and Chevy exec. from that story on the front page of the forum! I can't believe anyone would say that about a car that they had a part in creating, but I'm sure he was talking about the base models and I do have to agree that my car rides like a wagon.
I see the SS/TC being a huge improvement to the LT though, in more ways than the engine and appearance, no?
Old 05-17-2010, 01:39 PM

Well, I went from a brand new 2007 Pontiac G5 to a 2010 Cobalt SS. No regrets. Yea, my monthly payment, car insurance, and gas prices went up, but I love my car. Some might consider it stupid, but I can handle it and I'm 24 and still in school. I thought about modding the G5, but just said screw it and got a new SS/TC.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Eurasianman
Well, I went from a brand new 2007 Pontiac G5 to a 2010 Cobalt SS. No regrets. Yea, my monthly payment, car insurance, and gas prices went up, but I love my car. Some might consider it stupid, but I can handle it and I'm 24 and still in school. I thought about modding the G5, but just said screw it and got a new SS/TC.
Exactly man, kudos to you. I think I'm gonna do it. Although like I said earlier, I'm hoping actually not to pay much more if any, as I didn't exactly get the best financing options with the LT, and I'm looking for a used 08 or 09.. I actually wouldn't even mind if it had a few more miles than average, I have also looked at the RSX-S and STi, but not too seriously.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JWhit197
I did think about it, but like I said, I'm sold on the Cobalt even as the LT I just love the look and feel. I'm gonna test drive a few and see how it goes from there.. To be honest, I've never even ridden in any SS SC or TC so I think it's partly just curiosity. My budget is about what it is now, but my payments are kind of high and I have a friend in the industry who could find me a certified used TC for a steal at an auction, so I'm hoping to pay about the same as I am now if not less.
And yeah I know the auto CAN be boosted I just feel its not the same, plus as I said the max safe boost pressure is around 8psi on the stock LT internals if I'm not mistaken, which wouldnt include traction control and all that jazz.. And after all that I'm in the hole around 3 or 4g at least which is completely impractical at this time in my life.. I'm not even 21 yet! I don't want to take out a second loan on top of college and the ridiculously high car payment just to mod.. I work enough as it is hahaha.
And btw.. I've been to about 3 or 4 Chevy dealers in my area and have found like 2 or 3 SS's on the entire lots.. These things aren't easy to come by unless you're looking for it straight off the assembly line!
.. Must be some satisfied SS/TC owners out there
Well I went from a balt to a balt, due to an accident, I have no regrets but I should of gotten something better, I have been a balt owner since 2006, so I feel my opinion stands on seniority a little, I think there are way better non fwd cars out there for the money, I also feel I have grown out of the car, All I see is teenagers driving them, which is fine, But Im ready to move on.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:44 PM

I had a SS/SC and debated gettting a SS/TC when it came out. Was tired of the interior though so bought a charger rt. No regrets. I think once you've been there done that don't do it again. Granted if you still love everything about your car minus the motor, by all means go to a ss/tc
Old 05-17-2010, 03:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by skymynx
I had a SS/SC and debated gettting a SS/TC when it came out. Was tired of the interior though so bought a charger rt. No regrets. I think once you've been there done that don't do it again. Granted if you still love everything about your car minus the motor, by all means go to a ss/tc
well put.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by EcoTecDriver
well put.
Agreed.
It turns out I owe too much on my car now to do any kind of trading in anyways ,, Guess it's time to start modding the 2.2L LT!
I've got a pretty good idea for the exterior, but what about mods? Aside from Injen's CAI, a header and an exhaust, what are additional options? I'm just now starting to look into tuning but I don't know much about the topic..
Thanks