General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Turn signal and hazard flasher relay location

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn signal and hazard flasher relay location

I was wondering if anyone could confirm whether Cobalts uses a flasher relay to control the turn signal / hazard mode flashing rate. I might be interested in finding out if such a flasher relay could be replaced with a flasher for LEDs. I'm aware that if turn signal / brake bulbs are replaced with LEDs, that load resistors are required to prevent hyperflashing on the Cobalt. However, I'd much prefer not to deal with the hassle of load resistors so I've stayed on filament bulbs for these bulbs while having upgraded the other non-flashing bulbs (sidemarkers / back up) with LEDs already. I checked on the centre console fuse board map and the engine compartment fuse board map and could not find a flasher relay that could be replaced. It would seem that the BCM is directly controlling the flash rate, but I'm not entirely sure. Thanks for any info on this.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:25 AM

Received 361 Likes on 308 Posts
Yes, turn signals and flashers are completely bcm controlled. There is no way to adjust or change the flash rate or resistance sensing. If you want leds without fast flash you will have to unfortunately wire in resistors or purchase led bulbs that have a resistor built in.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kolt
Yes, turn signals and flashers are completely BCM controlled. There is no way to adjust or change the flash rate or resistance sensing. If you want leds without fast flash you will have to unfortunately wire in resistors or purchase led bulbs that have a resistor built in.
Thanks for confirming this. Since posting this message, I've since found out the same facts so I've decided to just continue with filament bulbs as I prefer not to have to deal with load resistors, which will also eliminate lamp failure hyperflash mode if the LED lamp failed.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:22 AM

Received 361 Likes on 308 Posts
Originally Posted by gmdriver
Thanks for confirming this. Since posting this message, I've since found out the same facts so I've decided to just continue with filament bulbs as I prefer not to have to deal with load resistors, which will also eliminate lamp failure hyperflash mode if the LED lamp failed.
Np man, there is led bulbs that have resistors built into them on amazon so you don't have to manually wire in resistors. Little pricey though but that would be the simplest thing if you want leds.