General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

voltage stablizers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 02:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
voltage stablizers?

so, every so often while surfing ebay, I always see these damn things in the seller's other auctions...... now, the theory behind a voltage stablizer is something along to line of... well, stablizing voltage and somehow increasing efficeiency of the vehicles performance via the electrical systems...... I was jsut wondering if these thigns actally do any good, or is it just snake oil........ discuss
Old 07-23-2008, 02:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Apcsox
so, every so often while surfing ebay, I always see these damn things in the seller's other auctions...... now, the theory behind a voltage stablizer is something along to line of... well, stablizing voltage and somehow increasing efficeiency of the vehicles performance via the electrical systems...... I was jsut wondering if these thigns actally do any good, or is it just snake oil........ discuss
im pretty sure they are bullshit
Old 07-23-2008, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Apcsox
Idk...they're just capacitors in a box. Actually I read some mag article that tried the ground wires and dynoed it and actually got gains but it was some banger volvo from the 90's and more or less within a dynos margin of error (+-5%), so... Most are like 20-30 bucks...unless you get one of the sun ones. You probably won't feel any gains but we have throttle by wire so...it really couldn't hurt if it does what it says it does (ie stabilize voltage) especially if you tend to run all sorts of crazy power draws (radio, gauges, meth, a/c, etc).
Old 07-23-2008, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Battery power is the cleanest power you can get.
The alternator chops up the voltage so that the battery will take a charge(it likes that and charges better).
The battey works like a choke and smoothens this choppiness out again before it is feed to the car power circuts.
In other words you would be wasting your money!
Old 07-26-2008, 11:05 PM

*bump*
Old 07-26-2008, 11:37 PM

Okay...I actually have an ebay box ("raizin" bought like 3 years ago) in my car and there is a small placebo effect as far as throttle response in a butt dyno; but it doesn't really do anything. Just thinking...maybe I should take it off my car and see if it actually feels different; I've done a ton of work on my car since it went in. Seriously 30 bucks and it wouldn't look half bad in your engine compartment consider it dress up or rice up.

I have to comment on the sun stuff...their stuff may actually work but it's pricey; they've been in business for a while. Well maybe it doesn't work but they have good marketing to keep them in business. Now they have one that plugs into your cigarette lighter...classy!
Old 07-26-2008, 11:54 PM

yea, I figured it might just have the "butt-dyno" style effect....... where you think it's better......... but yeah, some of them are shiny