Hahn RaceCraft Hahn RaceCraft Is a Supporting Vendor of CobaltSS.net
Contacts: EcoBoost ; Hahn Sales

HahnRacecraft Update on 2.0 turbo and twincharger

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 01:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any ballpark estimates on how expensive the kit will cost?
Old 06-18-2007, 01:20 AM

Remember you get what you pay for. i think it will be a lil on the high side but its going to be damn worth it, cant put a price on quality and reliability! just my opinion
Old 06-18-2007, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by EcoBoost

Should you start with a Super 20G, and wish to move the the GT35R later, interchangeability is part of the design
you guys are my heros, damn i can't wait.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:15 AM

Glad to hear that. I figured that they were fairly durable pistons. I guess depending on my budget by this winter, will be the deciding factor on which direction I go. I would prefer to do pistons though. Which brings me to another question...

If I were to just go with pistons, head gasket and head studs for the Turbo swap for reliability purposes, what would you suggest for piston choice?? This is kind of new for me, so I would be unsure as to what compression to go with, if I should even have to change it, or what kind of coating I should get on the pistons.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:10 AM

nice
Old 06-18-2007, 03:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1gmfanatik
Glad to hear that. I figured that they were fairly durable pistons. I guess depending on my budget by this winter, will be the deciding factor on which direction I go. I would prefer to do pistons though. Which brings me to another question...

If I were to just go with pistons, head gasket and head studs for the Turbo swap for reliability purposes, what would you suggest for piston choice?? This is kind of new for me, so I would be unsure as to what compression to go with, if I should even have to change it, or what kind of coating I should get on the pistons.
You should go with stock compression because thats what the kit is being built around. If you got lower compression pistons you could run even more boost though.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:26 AM

The 20G will be amazing
Old 06-18-2007, 06:44 AM

good for all you 2.0 guys but the 2.2 market is still getting left out in the cold. and last time i checked we are the highest selling cobalt so why no love from the hahn dept?
Old 06-18-2007, 07:20 AM

thanks Bill Hahn
Old 06-18-2007, 09:38 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by SilverBalt13
Any ballpark estimates on how expensive the kit will cost?
It's a little early to make any estimates, for the details are still forming as to exactly what will be in the systems. We'll know more soon!

Originally Posted by SilverBalt13
You should go with stock compression because thats what the kit is being built around. If you got lower compression pistons you could run even more boost though.
I agree!

As for piston manufaturers, I've been satisfied with product from JE and Wiseco.

Originally Posted by cobaltltblue
good for all you 2.0 guys but the 2.2 market is still getting left out in the cold. and last time i checked we are the highest selling cobalt so why no love from the hahn dept?
Well, you know the hand the 2.2's are dealt...an oddball computer in 2005-2006 that's not been cracked yet. And, most of them are sold to non-sporting folks, so that the bulk of those meaty production numbers come from cars sold for economical transportation rather than powerful fun

Nonetheless, we do stand ready to meet the need for 2007-up 2.2 applications, should an enterprising individual wish to get us a car for a beta install. To keep this thread pure, I'd humbly request a PM if you'd like to learn more!

Originally Posted by jrod
thanks Bill Hahn
You're very welcome! Thank you too

Last edited by Hahn RaceCraft; 06-18-2007 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-18-2007, 09:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Click...
Old 06-18-2007, 10:09 AM

Nice!!!Im saving my cash for this.
Just one question.Can you explain the oil return line?On the 2.4 thread,the oil return was sent back via the drain plug,and there was a vent hose going to the water pump access plate.Im curious how that works.Or is there a fitting in the block you that you use for this application?Thank you.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Before i forget or this thread gets out of hand i would like to say this to you Mr.Hahn

THANKS for showing interest in our car to this extent. I'm 3/4 into my own swap and seeing things like this just make me believe that it was the correct way to go.

i wish you the best luck with this project and i will keep an eye out for the finished product.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:55 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ptrblkz24
Nice!!!Im saving my cash for this.
Just one question.Can you explain the oil return line?On the 2.4 thread,the oil return was sent back via the drain plug,and there was a vent hose going to the water pump access plate.Im curious how that works.Or is there a fitting in the block you that you use for this application?Thank you.
This is a unique setup we have developed that allows one to incorporate an oil drain without removing or drilling the oil pan. As we are preparing for patent protection on this, I am unable to divulge details. Suffice to say it saves hours of futzing about with removing and drilling oil pan, scraping silicone, oil in your eyes, etc etc!

Originally Posted by 06black
Before i forget or this thread gets out of hand i would like to say this to you Mr.Hahn

THANKS for showing interest in our car to this extent. I'm 3/4 into my own swap and seeing things like this just make me believe that it was the correct way to go.

i wish you the best luck with this project and i will keep an eye out for the finished product.
Thank you too! Best of luck with your project.

I've actually agonized over this setup for some time...let me explain:

We started working with the Ecotec some five years ago, and immediately struck gold with a Cavalier/Sunfire system that could easily reach into the 12 second range with little more than the turbosystem and good tires. I've been in love with the Ecotec ever since I first discovered it, of all places, in the reverse engineering lab at Chrysler's Tech Center way back in 2001! I saw this brutally designed all-alloy engine laying dismantled on a bench there, and was immediately impressed at how it was so advanced, and how reminiscent it was of the delicious motorcycle engines I had achieved so much with over the years.

Trying not to act too impressed, even though I wanted to just drool, I asked my engineer-guide what it was. He looked at the tags on the parts and said, "Oh, that's a Saturn engine." I nodded and we moved on, but the hook was set, and I kept on wondering about that 'Saturn' engine. Keep in mind, this is before anyone outside of GM even knew that this engine would be in production Chevy's and Pontiacs soon, and well before the GM Racing team would mop up the Pro drag racing classes with Ecotec.

The following year, due to legal wrangling, Saturn would become another standard GM nameplate, and while it lost its autonomy as an 'independent' automaker, there was one HUGE benefit for us four-cylinder afficionados...this simply outstanding engine would now become GM's 'corporate' four cylinder! Imagine my glee when GM approached us in 2002 to partner up and turbocharge this engine in the soon-to-be released Cavalier-Sunfire!

Since then, we've sold hundreds of Ecotec turbosystems, and shown the way to dependable, off-the-shelf HP. Our latest surge has been with the new Solstice and Sky, which were in and of themselves an answer to a dream I have had since I was not even old enough to drive (legally anyway!)...a four-cylinder roadster, built RIGHT, that I could put some real down-home GRUNT into!

Yet, as much as the Cavalier-Sunfires were just a slam-dunk for us, the Cobalt-G5 has been frustrating. Way too many new iterations of engines/transmissions, and computers. We've built numerous prototypes, twincharger included, that just didn't ring the bell to my satisfaction. Frankly, folks, it's been a bitch, and any sensible businessman may have turned away long ago.

But as of late, dogged determination has finally broken through the clouds, and the sun has started to shine. Our now ready 2.4 systems have made me smile, and even though the twincharger just didn't have the chops I required, it taught us a lot about how to best approach the upcoming all-turbo conversion.

So, the agony has been this: As we've also been involved in the SRT-4 market, which, with all due respect to that car, it's a sedan with looks that one has to learn to love, and an engine that, while superb, is stil about 10 years behind Ecotec! It's just been a flat-out annoyance to me that SRT-4's are so popular and powerful, while Cobalts have been saddled by the lack of good power options.

No more! I can't leave this magnificient evolution unfinished. My work is not yet done. The Twincharger fascinated me, and frankly...sidetracked me for too long. Here comes the next chapter. I won't rest until we have fabulous options to take this car where it should have been all along. All I ask for is your patience...I can't rush this, I won't rush this, and we are well along already, but that's NOT an indication that we will have shippable product next week, or even next month. I do have other engineering projects here that I must also tend to, for my company cannot hinge its future on Cobalt alone. But I am confident that if we all hang in there, by late summer there will be some mighty tasty options that will finally allow the Cobalt-G5 to ascend to its rightful place!

Thanks for your time in reading this manifesto, and more than anything...thanks for being audacious enough to support a car that's unique, and not simply what everyone else is doing. Viva le difference!

Bill Hahn Jr.

Last edited by Hahn RaceCraft; 06-18-2007 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-18-2007, 02:09 PM

Ok guys, just be patient. Thanks, Bill Hahn for the info and support for our cars.

Regards
Jose

Old 06-18-2007, 02:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
God, I remember those good ol' J-body days when you first came out with your kits. Seeing all those posts on JBO always made me want to buy a base model Cavalier and just make a monster out of it. Never really heard any bad things about Hahn until I came here and people were bitching because you were no where to be found for a while. I say, take your time Bill. You've done wonders for the performance scene when it comes to four-cyliders. I've known since day one that I'd be swapping out for a turbo on this car. It's great to see someone else realize it's full potential while taking the time to produce a kit that's safe and reliable as opposed to getting the highest dyno possible to sell kits. Keep it safe, cause I'm sick of hearing about all these poor Cobalts w/ blown engines...
Old 06-18-2007, 06:44 PM

lets not blown this tread up like we did wit the tag sc swap and turbo and completely push them away from us, thanks Mr. Hahn jr great work
Old 06-18-2007, 09:47 PM

actually bill wants all the questins and feed back that we may have
Old 06-18-2007, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by EcoBoost
This is a unique setup we have developed that allows one to incorporate an oil drain without removing or drilling the oil pan. As we are preparing for patent protection on this, I am unable to divulge details. Suffice to say it saves hours of futzing about with removing and drilling oil pan, scraping silicone, oil in your eyes, etc etc!

Thank you too! Best of luck with your project.

I've actually agonized over this setup for some time...let me explain:

We started working with the Ecotec some five years ago, and immediately struck gold with a Cavalier/Sunfire system that could easily reach into the 12 second range with little more than the turbosystem and good tires. I've been in love with the Ecotec ever since I first discovered it, of all places, in the reverse engineering lab at Chrysler's Tech Center way back in 2001! I saw this brutally designed all-alloy engine laying dismantled on a bench there, and was immediately impressed at how it was so advanced, and how reminiscent it was of the delicious motorcycle engines I had achieved so much with over the years.

Trying not to act too impressed, even though I wanted to just drool, I asked my engineer-guide what it was. He looked at the tags on the parts and said, "Oh, that's a Saturn engine." I nodded and we moved on, but the hook was set, and I kept on wondering about that 'Saturn' engine. Keep in mind, this is before anyone outside of GM even knew that this engine would be in production Chevy's and Pontiacs soon, and well before the GM Racing team would mop up the Pro drag racing classes with Ecotec.

The following year, due to legal wrangling, Saturn would become another standard GM nameplate, and while it lost its autonomy as an 'independent' automaker, there was one HUGE benefit for us four-cylinder afficionados...this simply outstanding engine would now become GM's 'corporate' four cylinder! Imagine my glee when GM approached us in 2002 to partner up and turbocharge this engine in the soon-to-be released Cavalier-Sunfire!

Since then, we've sold hundreds of Ecotec turbosystems, and shown the way to dependable, off-the-shelf HP. Our latest surge has been with the new Solstice and Sky, which were in and of themselves an answer to a dream I have had since I was not even old enough to drive (legally anyway!)...a four-cylinder roadster, built RIGHT, that I could put some real down-home GRUNT into!

Yet, as much as the Cavalier-Sunfires were just a slam-dunk for us, the Cobalt-G5 has been frustrating. Way too many new iterations of engines/transmissions, and computers. We've built numerous prototypes, twincharger included, that just didn't ring the bell to my satisfaction. Frankly, folks, it's been a bitch, and any sensible businessman may have turned away long ago.

But as of late, dogged determination has finally broken through the clouds, and the sun has started to shine. Our now ready 2.4 systems have made me smile, and even though the twincharger just didn't have the chops I required, it taught us a lot about how to best approach the upcoming all-turbo conversion.

So, the agony has been this: As we've also been involved in the SRT-4 market, which, with all due respect to that car, it's a sedan with looks that one has to learn to love, and an engine that, while superb, is stil about 10 years behind Ecotec! It's just been a flat-out annoyance to me that SRT-4's are so popular and powerful, while Cobalts have been saddled by the lack of good power options.

No more! I can't leave this magnificient evolution unfinished. My work is not yet done. The Twincharger fascinated me, and frankly...sidetracked me for too long. Here comes the next chapter. I won't rest until we have fabulous options to take this car where it should have been all along. All I ask for is your patience...I can't rush this, I won't rush this, and we are well along already, but that's NOT an indication that we will have shippable product next week, or even next month. I do have other engineering projects here that I must also tend to, for my company cannot hinge its future on Cobalt alone. But I am confident that if we all hang in there, by late summer there will be some mighty tasty options that will finally allow the Cobalt-G5 to ascend to its rightful place!

Thanks for your time in reading this manifesto, and more than anything...thanks for being audacious enough to support a car that's unique, and not simply what everyone else is doing. Viva le difference!

Bill Hahn Jr.
This right here is the reason why I love GM so much. Underestimated for sure... Bill, you are quickly becoming my hero. lol..Keep up the good work, and I will be keeping up on this for sure.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by 1gmfanatik
This right here is the reason why I love GM so much. Underestimated for sure... Bill, you are quickly becoming my hero. lol..Keep up the good work, and I will be keeping up on this for sure.

You mean to tell me Bill isnt your hero already?!! Damn he's been mine since I got over Chuck Norris lol! Bill is the ****====FTMFW!
Old 06-19-2007, 12:36 AM

subsribed wanna see how its gunna come out
Old 06-19-2007, 12:45 AM

So is this replacement manifold also going to work injunction with the stock m62 blower
and H.E? or is this only for the complete swap.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by BACK2GM
So is this replacement manifold also going to work injunction with the stock m62 blower
I'm fairly sure that this is a COMPLETE swap. I know that you could use the stock aftercooler and/or a Cobra HE, but I believe it's a complete swap
Old 06-19-2007, 03:39 AM

it is a complete swap, they are using their racing sheet metal intake manifold and a large front mount intercooler. this kit is going to be sweet. i think this kit will top any other turbo swap that are or have already come out.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by BACK2GM
http://www.hahnracecraft.com/Project...baltintake.htm

This link gives an idea of what the finished product will look like. Alas, no...it will not support a supercharger.

Quick Reply: HahnRacecraft Update on 2.0 turbo and twincharger