Hahn RaceCraft Hahn RaceCraft Is a Supporting Vendor of CobaltSS.net
Contacts: EcoBoost ; Hahn Sales

HahnRacecraft Update on 2.0 turbo and twincharger

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EcoBoost
http://www.hahnracecraft.com/Project...baltintake.htm

This link gives an idea of what the finished product will look like. Alas, no...it will not support a supercharger.
Thats sexy
Old 06-19-2007, 05:55 PM

Hmmm...I may have to reconsider my decision to not go turbo....this sounds promising.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kritter
Hmmm...I may have to reconsider my decision to not go turbo....this sounds promising.
same here think it would be hard to install?
Old 06-21-2007, 10:36 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by SSROMER
same here think it would be hard to install?
Ultimately, that answer depends more on your skills and patience than anything!

For what it's worth, the entire setup will be a bolt-on affair, and should not be difficult.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:32 PM

For what it's worth, the entire setup will be a bolt-on affair, and should not be difficult... we are sending Acidangel_5.0 a free kit to test it out on.

no way.. sweet deal dude.. ill be waiting..

side question though...
this doesnt pertain to me since i dont have the item.. but i know alot of peeps probably have strut braces and all of the TC kits i have seen the tubing will not work with them... is there an alternate piping offering or will people just gonna have to ditch it?
Old 06-21-2007, 01:11 PM

So, the agony has been this: As we've also been involved in the SRT-4 market, which, with all due respect to that car, it's a sedan with looks that one has to learn to love, and an engine that, while superb, is stil about 10 years behind Ecotec! It's just been a flat-out annoyance to me that SRT-4's are so popular and powerful, while Cobalts have been saddled by the lack of good power options.

Viva le difference!

Bill Hahn Jr.
Thanks for taking such an intrest in this car. It has been sadly overlooked by many aftermarket companies. Also, it has frustrated me that friends of mine have doubts about the quality of the Ecotec RPO LSJ engine, and its potential.

My question for you is this: While I am an avid visitor of my local dragstrip, I fell in love with the LSJs driving characteristics, and low-mid range torque. Is there a supercharger swap in the works? Will the poorly designed intake manifold issue be addressed?

If not, how does the power band look on the turbo swap? (I know this question is a prying one)

Even if my hopes of an S/C swap are about to be dashed, I'm still very excited about your dedication to our needs. Rest assured my money will be going into Hahn Racecraft for all future power additions regardless of your answer. Your reputation for quality products is impressive. I'm sure you have picked up quite a few long time customers with this risky business endeavor. The rewards will be lucrative.

Brian Dougherty,
Speed Junkie

P.S. Thanks again for taking the time out of what I imagine is a very busy day to conference
with us on this.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:12 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Acidangel_5.0
no way.. sweet deal dude.. ill be waiting..

side question though...
this doesnt pertain to me since i dont have the item.. but i know alot of peeps probably have strut braces and all of the TC kits i have seen the tubing will not work with them... is there an alternate piping offering or will people just gonna have to ditch it?
That's a good concern, one we've been considering also.

We've not yet finalized the exact routing of our setup, but...if anyone wishes to 'hedge their bet' and get me a photo of their brace installed, now's the time! The more examples we see, the better, and we still have time perhaps engineer around the braces. Please PM me if you wish to send such a photo.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:22 PM

That's a good concern, one we've been considering also.

We've not yet finalized the exact routing of our setup, but...if anyone wishes to 'hedge their bet' and get me a photo of their brace installed, now's the time! The more examples we see, the better, and we still have time perhaps engineer around the braces. Please PM me if you wish to send such a photo.

there is one on my car Bill... the DC sports brace.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by chevysalesman614
Thanks for taking such an intrest in this car. It has been sadly overlooked by many aftermarket companies. Also, it has frustrated me that friends of mine have doubts about the quality of the Ecotec RPO LSJ engine, and its potential.

My question for you is this: While I am an avid visitor of my local dragstrip, I fell in love with the LSJs driving characteristics, and low-mid range torque. Is there a supercharger swap in the works? Will the poorly designed intake manifold issue be addressed?

If not, how does the power band look on the turbo swap? (I know this question is a prying one)

Even if my hopes of an S/C swap are about to be dashed, I'm still very excited about your dedication to our needs. Rest assured my money will be going into Hahn Racecraft for all future power additions regardless of your answer. Your reputation for quality products is impressive. I'm sure you have picked up quite a few long time customers with this risky business endeavor. The rewards will be lucrative.

Brian Dougherty,
Speed Junkie

P.S. Thanks again for taking the time out of what I imagine is a very busy day to conference
with us on this.
You're welcome, Brian. Thanks also to you for the kind words, and to everyone for the common interest!

No, we've not planned anything with a supercharger swap. We are playing the card we know so innately in turbocharging, and feel it's the best path to enlightenment for the LSJ. We know we risk offending the supercharger-faithful...we earnestly tried for some time to incorporate the supercharger into the mix with our twincharging system, so as to support LSJ in its original intention...but we can't hold back progress any longer.

Chances are, you'll not be dissatisfied with the low to midrange on the Super 20G. We've worked for years to optimize this setup, and it enjoys an excellent melding of low-speed response with high-end flow. It won't 'hit' with the authority of the supercharger, but...at the power levels this setup will be capable of, that kind of 'hit' ain't nothing but a tire-fryer anyway. Super 20G is more of a linear power increase that follows the engine's natural power characterstics, and, IMHO, is equally enjoyable, but easier to control.

Like you, we wish to silence the doubters. Our low 11-second Sunfire showed the world what an Ecotec can do with off-the-shelf parts and a very mild engine build, and we want to continue this proud tradition forward with Cobalt!
Old 06-21-2007, 07:03 PM

nice i cant wait any pics or a release date yet ?
Old 06-22-2007, 03:48 AM

bump
Old 06-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gilbert
nice i cant wait any pics or a release date yet ?
Nothing pic-worthy just yet! Release is expected to be later this summer.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:19 AM

can you give us a price range so we could have the money saved up by later this summer.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:10 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jimbos'ss
can you give us a price range so we could have the money saved up by later this summer.
I am typically hesitant to quote price until we have a completed product. It's a slippery slope...underquote and we risk angering prospective customers with an ultimately higher price...overquote and we risk scaring them away before the product's even ready! Even a 'range' can have one of these effects, if not simultaneously both.

I'm going to resist making either of the above mistakes. If you wish to start saving now, I appreciate your dedication...as soon as I can, I will provide more detail.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:47 PM

bump for the day
Old 06-25-2007, 01:02 AM

i understand that you dont want to give a price quote which is not a problem or shouldnt be to any member on here as we know that youll give us a satisfactory product...Now hopefully this kit will push us over 300+ hp which is what most people want is at least over 300....Since it is pushing alot of hp from stock and it is turbo...how will we end up tuning this car to run good a/f ratios for us not to blow up??? and also what other goodies will we need to actually make this thing run...Like as in will we need to build our car with better pistons, cams and so on??
Old 06-25-2007, 09:00 AM

For what it's worth, the entire setup will be a bolt-on affair, and should not be difficult.
yeah im coming from working on old cars working on these cars is'nt to hard but the tunning factor is where im stumped when you realse the kit will you realse it with the tune as well and how much boost will be safe before you blow the engine im at 18 psi with the supercharger so im guessing with turbo it will be less than that
Old 06-25-2007, 09:00 AM

I am typically hesitant to quote price until we have a completed product. It's a slippery slope...underquote and we risk angering prospective customers with an ultimately higher price...overquote and we risk scaring them away before the product's even ready! Even a 'range' can have one of these effects, if not simultaneously both.

I'm going to resist making either of the above mistakes. If you wish to start saving now, I appreciate your dedication...as soon as I can, I will provide more detail.
thats understandable, i'll just start saving
Old 06-25-2007, 10:57 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 2fastSS
Now hopefully this kit will push us over 300+ hp which is what most people want is at least over 300....Since it is pushing alot of hp from stock and it is turbo...how will we end up tuning this car to run good a/f ratios for us not to blow up??? and also what other goodies will we need to actually make this thing run...Like as in will we need to build our car with better pistons, cams and so on??
We will be building in considerable end-user tunability so that those who wish to analyze and optimize AF ratios and other tuning parameters will have the chance to do so.

We are working to determine the safe power limits for the stock engine, so that we can provide a more detailed answer, but to date, we are satisfied that the engine is capable of 400-450 HP in stock form when properly tuned and operated. Consider that the threshold. If you want to run beyond that power level, internal mods would be advisable. Further...should you wish to really push the limits on pump gas, a built engine will be more forgiving of any 'incidents' with spark knock. If you don't mind putting some hi-octane in the tank when you turn the boost up high, then your durability on stock parts will be higher. Of course, one of the inherent advantages of turbocharging is the ability to run different boost levels at the flick of a switch, so it is very feasible to have a car that runs on pump fuel at moderate boost levels for daily use, and higher octane at high boost levels for occasional fun!
Old 06-25-2007, 11:15 AM

im looking into twincharging my cobalt. are there any kits in the making or am i looking a custum setup
Old 06-25-2007, 01:41 PM

We will be building in considerable end-user tunability so that those who wish to analyze and optimize AF ratios and other tuning parameters will have the chance to do so.

We are working to determine the safe power limits for the stock engine, so that we can provide a more detailed answer, but to date, we are satisfied that the engine is capable of 400-450 HP in stock form when properly tuned and operated. Consider that the threshold. If you want to run beyond that power level, internal mods would be advisable. Further...should you wish to really push the limits on pump gas, a built engine will be more forgiving of any 'incidents' with spark knock. If you don't mind putting some hi-octane in the tank when you turn the boost up high, then your durability on stock parts will be higher. Of course, one of the inherent advantages of turbocharging is the ability to run different boost levels at the flick of a switch, so it is very feasible to have a car that runs on pump fuel at moderate boost levels for daily use, and higher octane at high boost levels for occasional fun!
damm it just when i thought i was done modding this car here comes mr turbo lol now will this come with a tune you guys make or is iti like a self tune kinda thing
Old 06-25-2007, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by skymynx
im looking into twincharging my cobalt. are there any kits in the making or am i looking a custum setup
you are looking at a huge headache.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:28 PM

read the whole thread. he already said they abandoned the twincharger setup.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:29 PM

my apologies i found it afterwards.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:26 AM

any new info or progress bill?

Quick Reply: HahnRacecraft Update on 2.0 turbo and twincharger