How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

Detailing: Car washing/waxing tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by e to the x
I like the Bosche windshield wipers. Use them on my civic and they work great.

I think that using wipers in the rain is not very detrimental to them. I think its more when they sit in the hot sun all day, everyday where they start to deteriorate. That plus lotsa of dirt can't be all to good for them. Mine usually last between 3 to 6 months but I change them as soon as I start to notice they are not doing their job anymore.

yea I live in FL 9 months out of the year when Im at school and they sit in the sun all day that why I think mine suck.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:51 AM

The problem with the quick wax though is that you get it on your windshield so you screw with your wiper blades ability to clear off water and leave a clear field of vision (parents use Turtle wax soap w/wax in it and this always happens) so you end up needed to replace the wiperblades and then clean the windshield with a glass cleaner that can remove the wax. Just wax your car by hand is my opinion.
This problem is solved by spraying the wax on your microfiber towel. I have never had that problem though when I used to spray it on the vehicle.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DWK5150
This problem is solved by spraying the wax on your microfiber towel. I have never had that problem though when I used to spray it on the vehicle.

I was talking about soap with was, not a spray on car wax. The point was the when you're washing a car and not thinking about whether the soap has wax in it you go and wash your windshield w/o a second thought and then after the first rain when you try to use your wipers they won't work as well because of the wx on the glass.

Of course to remedy this you clean the windshield later with glass cleaner, which is what should be done regardless since it does a better job, plus you can use the glass cleaner on your wiperblades too to makes sure they are clean. So really you end up doing more work because you use a car wash with wax that doesn't give that great a shine and you have to clean the windows because of it.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:46 PM

I was talking about soap with was, not a spray on car wax. The point was the when you're washing a car and not thinking about whether the soap has wax in it you go and wash your windshield w/o a second thought and then after the first rain when you try to use your wipers they won't work as well because of the wx on the glass.

Of course to remedy this you clean the windshield later with glass cleaner, which is what should be done regardless since it does a better job, plus you can use the glass cleaner on your wiperblades too to makes sure they are clean. So really you end up doing more work because you use a car wash with wax that doesn't give that great a shine and you have to clean the windows because of it.
The car wash I used to use had a wax in it but it wasnt turtle wax brand or anything and never really had any problems. Only problem I had with it was if you werent quick enough to dry the car it would streak on ya so I dont use it anymore.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:52 AM

Maybe a bit obvious for most of the enthusiasts, but worthy of a post nonetheless. When purchasing a car wax, make sure you look at the label and determine that its for 'clearcoat'. If the wax isn't designed for a clearcoat finish (older cars), you will find that it actually makes things worse. Using a wax that isn't for clearcoats can leave a haze on your car, also, its rumoured that it can actually permanently take the gloss off of your clearcoat finish.