How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

Interior: Front Speaker Tutorial w/Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Speaker Tutorial w/Pics!

I have a 2006 Cobalt LT 4 dr sedan. With no extra options on it.

Hey guys, many of you requested front door speakers tutorial that had PICTURES. Since I searched the threads and couldn't find any, I figured I would contribute my pictures. Tried to take them the best that I could - I also added comments in each photo.

This shows you the Sail that you need to pry off on drivers side - Please remember do not pull it off completely, just the retention clip (it is part of your door panel)

This is a close up of the Sail

This shows the sail from the top pried off partially (remember not to pull it off completely, just the clip)

Door handle screw, in my car there was a flap that was covering it up, just remove the flap.

Here is the screws that is holding down the window control panel. There is another flap that was hiding the screws, remove the flap, then unscrew the panel.

Start at the back, and pry the window control panel and eventually the clips give and the thing pops out, the reason I say start from the rear, is as you can see the front has a tab that holds it in place and you do not want to break it.

Disconnect the window control panel of course.

*Just a quick note, on Coupes, there won't be two retention clips at the very rear of the door, but on sedans (such as mine) there are, I did not show that step, but they need to be removed, after that, then start prying here

Remove the door panel slowly, clips will make a loud popping sound, I highly suggest buying a panel removal tool, (costs like $8) so that you don't scratch or break anything.

After it is pried off, there will be a door release cable, just pull up on it, and it will pop out (another step I forgot to take a picture of) and also when removing the door, after all the pegs have come out, pull up on the panel to remove (it sits down).

As you can see the door release cable (it is sticking out in a diagnol). Also, take the speaker out, obviously.

Install the new speaker. This was rather a task, I had to drill two holes, I used a Shop Force drill, with an 1/8th inch bit, and then got self tapping screws to hold the bracket down.

This image is kind of choppy, but you can see where the pegs are, to give you a general idea where to pry.

JUST A NOTE: I DO NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANYTHING THAT IS DAMAGED IN YOUR NEED TO REPLACE SPEAKERS! PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU DO REPLACE THEM!

I found out in this whole process, water has been leaking in, and I will need to fix that, my door Stock speakers were corroded and are dead now due to it. Anyways, wanted to help the community, hope this helps!

Last edited by TommyP; 10-06-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Excellent. Bravo Zulu.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:49 PM

You should also put in the title "opening doors" or something, because its like a 2 in 1 how to would be useful for the search hahahaha. But thanks, great work
Old 09-26-2011, 11:07 PM

When I replaced my front speakers I cut the factory speaker out of the bucket and modified it a little and installed my new ones. Good write up BTW