Go Back  Cobalt SS Network > General > How to Guide
HOW TO Fix Linkage Roll Pin on Transmission >

Drivetrain: HOW TO Fix Linkage Roll Pin on Transmission

How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

Drivetrain: HOW TO Fix Linkage Roll Pin on Transmission

Old 05-17-2008, 03:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We just spent about 4 hours on my car trying to get the old roll pin out with zero luck. I think we managed to move it a total of about 1/16 of an inch. Having a friend hold the shift arms at the transmission you can feel the slop reduce by a HUGE amount leading me to think my roll pin is crushed to some degree. No way it will budge though...

Has anyone seen the slop and still had the roll pin lodged in there so tight that you can't get it out? If so has anyone actually removed a stuck pin in there?

Very irritating...

Nick
Old 05-17-2008, 12:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kwik1 I have, not sure I went about it the "right" way but I had to remove the Trans to Frame mount that's in the way kinda diagonal to the linkages. It had a total of 7 bolts pretty easy to remove I just supported the Trans with a jack then removed it I think the four frame bolts were 15mm and the 3 Trans bolts were 17mm not positive on sizes those are off the top of my head. Just watch out for the back up switch it's really easy to break off removing the mount because you have to do some wiggiling to remove it so you might want to take that out before the mount...that's pretty much how I got my pin out that was stuck.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this writeup was very nice and saved me alot of money... thanks man
Old 05-26-2008, 05:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Subscribing cause like everyone elses' my is a little sloopy and sometimes when I hit 4th gear under WOT it feel like the gear was not engaged, and the RPMS just go up. then I put it in 3rd(foot still on the floor with the clutch)and I feel the gears engage, then I put it in 4th agein, and release the clutch, and poof 4th gear it back then I can step on the gas agein???
Old 05-27-2008, 12:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
where can you get a roll pin pusher? is that a specialty tool made only for this job or are there any other names that the tool goes by?
Old 05-27-2008, 12:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lots of good info here . . . . saving for sure. . .
Old 05-27-2008, 05:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hydraze View Post
where can you get a roll pin pusher? is that a specialty tool made only for this job or are there any other names that the tool goes by?
pin pusher, you can get it from napa. Just tell him you need a roll pin pusher. If they look at you like your dumb, then explain that you need something to push the spring roll pin out of your linkage so you can replace it. If he still looks at you like your dumb, talk to his boss and get him fired.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ralliartist View Post
pin pusher, you can get it from napa. Just tell him you need a roll pin pusher. If they look at you like your dumb, then explain that you need something to push the spring roll pin out of your linkage so you can replace it. If he still looks at you like your dumb, talk to his boss and get him fired.
lol, thats exactly what they did to me, ive gone to napa, autozone, and pep boys....they all gave me the same look
Old 05-28-2008, 10:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know what to tell ya man. It's amazing the idiots they let work at parts stores nowadays.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:44 AM
South Central *********

Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
I performed this modifacation yesterday with decent success
i used a allen head 10-24x1.5" bolt of hardended steel(grade 8 or better)
I will say the how to was spot on, with the exception of removing the wheel... was not needed in my case.

the clearence between the two arms would suggest not being able to use a bolt thru the lower pin, only the top has room for it between the two arms

had a hard time hammering the pin out, but eventually got it to budge
did remove the trans mount and pulled the reverse switch for a little better clearence.

the gears do feel a bit better on engagement however a hair looser side to side while in gear

the linkage arm still can slide up and down but not as easily anymore which is good,

will say worth my time, only time will tell if it fixed the 4th gear miss but definatly feel like more positive engagement into gear

Last edited by JapEatr; 07-10-2008 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ralliartist View Post

LMAO, if you have to explain this to someone working at a parts store then I can understand it. If you have to explain it to the manager of the store, then he needs to be fired. I wonder if this could be the reason why my car hesitates to go into gear sometimes. And maybe why it grinds into 2nd sometimes.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
subscribed just in case.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:05 PM

Liked 62 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by nutsandboldts05 View Post
LMAO, if you have to explain this to someone working at a parts store then I can understand it. If you have to explain it to the manager of the store, then he needs to be fired. I wonder if this could be the reason why my car hesitates to go into gear sometimes. And maybe why it grinds into 2nd sometimes.
Your experience is just due to these transmission acting funny. We all experience this problem.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
humm...probly why my wifes redline shifts like butter , but my cobalt feels like im tring to stir broken glass . i find it hard to get into first sometimes ...think this could be it?
Old 08-30-2008, 06:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to about 7 auto parts stores looking for roll pins, and no one had any idea. All the murrays said basically the same thing, when I told them I needed a roll pin, they asked what it was for, and when I said transmission linkage, they said they don't have very many trans parts....

I ended up at Home depot, where I found both the pin pusher and the roll pins. The roll pins where in the bolts and screws aisle, labeled as tension pins. They were pretty cheap and come in packs of two. I plan on replaceing this with a bolt like stated by several people above though soon
Old 09-14-2008, 02:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just stretched the dog snot out of mine tonight at the track. If you want to tell when it is just starting to get bad, the hint is that you really start missing 2nd gear. I made a total of 9 passes tonight, and missed second on 3 of them when normally I never miss a gear. I will be going with the bolt option in the morning.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can someone post a pic of a roll pin next to a bolt that can be used for this? That would be great, thanks.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will if I remember to take the camera to the garage with me.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I just installed the B&M and I wanna make sure the shift linkage pins aren't counteracting it's improvements.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it seems to be a common problem if you are a shifter. the only bad thing about beefing one part up is that it exploits another weaker part.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
especially with this car, lol
Old 09-14-2008, 12:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NGalaxyTimmyo View Post
I went to about 7 auto parts stores looking for roll pins, and no one had any idea. All the murrays said basically the same thing, when I told them I needed a roll pin, they asked what it was for, and when I said transmission linkage, they said they don't have very many trans parts....

I ended up at Home depot, where I found both the pin pusher and the roll pins. The roll pins where in the bolts and screws aisle, labeled as tension pins. They were pretty cheap and come in packs of two. I plan on replaceing this with a bolt like stated by several people above though soon
I can't believe you had that many problems at the auto stores. LOL. At least you found a fix.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The tool is actually called a Punch. That is probably why you were getting the goofy looks.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome write up....not sure if I need this part replaced yet....anyone have the definitive answer on that yet?

Is the parts list updated for the more snug roll-pin size? Why is the car jacked up with the front drivier's side tire off?

Again subscribed for an awesome how-to...can we sticky this?
Old 11-18-2008, 02:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
updated with a vid

car was jacked up with the drivers side tire off in order to make it easier to get to the linkages.

as far as roll pin size, that is the correct size.

Last edited by ralliartist; 11-18-2008 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivetrain: HOW TO Fix Linkage Roll Pin on Transmission

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.