How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

2.2 L61 Engine: How To - Install the AEM fuel/ignition controller on an 05-06 2.2L

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To - Install the AEM fuel/ignition controller on an 05-06 2.2L

By request of a few memebers i have came up with this how to.

First: here is a link to where i have the diagrams posted for you all to download and use. They are for an 05/06 2.2L. The 05 does not have a cam position sensor. Im not sure about the 06's.

Wireing Diagrams / ECM Pinout 05 Cobalt 2.2L

The FIC is hard wired to the car. You would have to un wire it and re splice the wires back together if you are wanting to take the car back to stock. Wiring up the FIC VOIDS the cars warranty. Do not install this if you intend to keep the car under warrenty.

Once you hook the FIC up the car will run like it did before you installed it, if you get all the wires connected to the right places.

there are instructions that come with it on how to hook it. but i will sum it up for you.

There are 2 types of connections the FIC uses. One is an interception of the signal wire. The other is a tap of the signal wire.

I will also shorten up some of this for you since ive done all the research already. (i can only help with 06 and 05 2.2's) 07 wiring schematics are not out yet and there is that secondary air injector thing that i no nothing about.

05 and 06 cobalts have a Mag crank sensor. 05 does not have a cam position sensor. Not quite sure about the 06.

The crank connection will be an intersept of the signal. What that means is you will cut the wire (factory wiring harness) near where you are going to mount the FIC. Prefurably near the ECM. The ECM is by the driver head light behind the plastic shield. The input side of the FIC will connect to the sensor side of the wire and the Out put wires of the FIC will connect to the ECM side of the wire. This allows you to retard your timing for boosted applications. AEM did not enable the feature to advance timing for natural asperated applications because the FIC is ment to be a piggy back not a full blown computer

The same type of connection is used for the injectors. use the pin out found on this website to intercept the wires near the ECM (FIC injector input is connected to the ECM side of the wire, the FIC injector output wire is connected to the injector side of the wire). The FIC takes the factory signal for the pulse width and sends it out to the injectors un modified. It needs to be modified when you install larger injectors. Since the FIC controls pulse width, you can use larger injectors eliminating the use of the 5th injector, al though the FIC has the ability to use a 5th and 6th injector.

the O2 connection needs to go to bank 1 of the schematics which is the 02 sensor closest to the motor. this signal is only taped. (with my particular set up im not taping this signal because im going to use a stand alone wide band sensor and hooking the AEM fic up to that. mainly becasue if you want to tap the factory sensor you need to solder inline with the sensor signal wire a 1K 1/4W resistor to keep it from doing that LED light show affect on the FIC.)

The MAF is an intercept connection. The FIC input wire is connected to the MAF sensor side of the wire. The FIC output wire is connected to the ECM side of the wire. This is done so that you can clamp the MAF at its max voltage, explained further in this how to in the tuning part. (clamping means that the FIC will keep the ECM from seeing the higher metered air voltage and prevent a CEL)

You will also need to do the same thing as the MAF but for the MAP sensor. This will be connected to one of the Auxilary wires. (this is done to clamp the MAP so the ECM doesn’t see the higher manifold pressure. This is done because the FIC has its own MAP and that’s what is used to tune the engine. Also helps to prevent a CEL)

I also need to add that once you have this hooked up you will need to take the car for a test run. under normal stop and go driving like a good little driver and then on to the interstate to hard acceleration to 55mph or what ever your highway speed limit is. data log all that info. then look at what you logged to see what the max MAF voltage was and enter that in as your clamp voltage value. you will have to hook up the factory MAP sensor to one of the auxilary signals/wires on the FIC. this will allow you to to clamp the factory MAP so that the factory computer wont see the extra pressure in the manifold (if you are going to turbocharge the car that is). then use the FIC's MAP to adjust your fuel curve. if you can get a hold of a OBDII scaning tool you can moniter the fuel curve the factory computer is using. while tuning the FIC try to keep the scanning values you are getting at 0. a positive number means you need to add fuel and a negative number means you need to remove fuel (refering to the scanned fuel curve value being read from the OBDII tool)

Keep the AFR as close to 14:1 as possible. i havent seen what our computers put out for an AFR when you stomp on it (yet). But when you find out that number try to keep that WOT AFR value as close to the stock value as possible (this isn’t good for getting the MOST power available by tuning to 14:1, but it will help to keep you from throwing a CEL)

If anyone is wanting to swap out for larger injectors that require splicing pig tails. ZZP.com has a wiring harness that is already pre spliced but, yes there is a but lol, you will have to RE-PIN the connector. It is pinned for the LSJ. I just used the wiring diagrams and re pinned the connector to plug and play with the 2.2L injector harness

I hope this helps with what everyone was looking for on this. I would also like to add that the FIC’s MAP does a lot of the hardest work of the tuning process.

I had also created a converter/calculator in windows excel that converts lb injectors to CC rating and then calculates a formula that produces the negative number that you need to enter if you are upgrading to larger injectors and have the car run as if it had factory size injectors in. Send me a PM if you want these files and ill send them to your email.

Last edited by TommyP; 10-03-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The GM maf is freq based.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by zinner
The GM maf is freq based.
i understand that but the FIC data logger still data logged a voltage coming from the MAF. if i wasnt on deployment right now i would post up my tune I'm using on my car.

I'll try researching more into the drop down menu for the MAF clamping option. It has voltage and percentage as the 2 options for clamping the MAF.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:32 PM

I think what he means is the AEM FIC doesn't support frequency clamping or even tuning. You might want to double check your table to see if you are getting any reading from the MAF.

Also the 2.2 does have a cam position feedback, its labeled CMP in your ignition diagram posted on the AEM forum.

You might wanna go after o2 feedback tuning rather than maf/map interception for fuel (probably still wanna voltage clamp the MAP just shy of 5v). With the electronic throttle, skewing MAF or MAP will probably end up with DTC P0068 and limp home mode. Its much easier to use the o2 for fueling as it will also eliminate the enrichment delay timer at WOT.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ok....im a little confused Witt...can you elaborate on the above post?

and you have no idea how happy i am finally having a how-to

to the OP: i'd include which wires we can eliminate to make it easier
Old 01-14-2008, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Witt
I think what he means is the AEM FIC doesn't support frequency clamping or even tuning. You might want to double check your table to see if you are getting any reading from the MAF.

Also the 2.2 does have a cam position feedback, its labeled CMP in your ignition diagram posted on the AEM forum.

You might wanna go after o2 feedback tuning rather than maf/map interception for fuel (probably still wanna voltage clamp the MAP just shy of 5v). With the electronic throttle, skewing MAF or MAP will probably end up with DTC P0068 and limp home mode. Its much easier to use the o2 for fueling as it will also eliminate the enrichment delay timer at WOT.
the 05 and 06 share the same wiring diagram (i found this out the hard way when i bought the 05 schem's and then the 06 schem's). when i went to look for that wire under my hood, there was nothing there. when i tore apart my head to replace the cams, vlaves, and springs i never found any wires leading to what could possibly be any kind of sensor or feed back of the cams position

im not tuning off of the MAP. I'm tuning off of the On board MAP that is inside the FIC. the FIC has its own "vacum" hose that hooks up to the intake manifold reads PSIA. That is what i used for tuning, in conjuction with monitering the fuel curve the OBDII scan tool was reading. the factory map is clamped. i cant look further into the MAF issue being talked about since im on deployment and dont exactly have my car sitting in the hanger bay on board my ship to go hook up to a laptop or pop the hood to look at anything.

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
ok....im a little confused Witt...can you elaborate on the above post?

and you have no idea how happy i am finally having a how-to

to the OP: i'd include which wires we can eliminate to make it easier
you can eliminate the following wires:

All HALL wires
Both the 5th and 6th injector wires (unless adding an injector to your set up)
CAM Mag wires

thats all i can remember off the top of my head for now

Last edited by xCobalt05x; 01-14-2008 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-14-2008, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by xCobalt05x
the 05 and 06 share the same wiring diagram (i found this out the hard way when i bought the 05 schem's and then the 06 schem's). when i went to look for that wire under my hood, there was nothing there. when i tore apart my head to replace the cams, vlaves, and springs i never found any wires leading to what could possibly be any kind of sensor or feed back of the cams position
There is no cam position sensor but there should be a wire to indicate cam position to the ECM. Cam position is calculated through an ignition module located on top of the valve cover. If you are looking for an actual sensor you won't find it.

I'll have to dig through my shop manual to find which pin on the ECM is populated with the CMP signal.

On ECM connector C2, pin number 70 as shown here should be populated with a brown/white wire. This will be your CMP signal.

Last edited by Witt; 01-14-2008 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-14-2008, 11:50 AM

ic that would explaine why i see it in the schems and not be able to find it physicaly thanks , the FIC works just fine the way it is so im not going to start tamering with stuff and take a chance of it not working when i get back. The FIC manual does say to try to eliminate the use of the majority of the wires. As not all wires are required to operate the FIC.

ahhh ok. here we go, just happens that i put the wires not used onto my flash drive.

here is an update to the list

VTEC output
Mag style CAM 1 and 2 wires
HALL crank wires
HALL CAM wires

I wish i upload files to the post. id put in the excel spread sheets i made with the formulas to help with adjusting the FIC for the larger injectors

oh, yeah, there is updated software out for the FIC as well. It adds in the UEGO aka wideband AFR to the digital gauges in the tuning software. It also added in a few extra wires for auxilary use. Its available at the AEM web site. To use the extra auxilaries you will need to put some pins and wires in with their new updated PIN out of the FIC in the places designated. I'm not using the extra auxilaries i just updated the software to display the UEGO gauged on the digital instrament cluster.

Last edited by xCobalt05x; 01-14-2008 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-24-2008, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can get a pic or two of your actuall setup on the car that would help with where I need to position my FIC.

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:48 AM

that is going to be impossible. i'm over 6,000 miles away from my car. im on deployment right now
Old 01-25-2008, 02:08 AM

saving this for later. . .
Old 02-03-2008, 12:34 PM

Well here are a few pics of my install so far.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:03 AM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
how did this end up, no ending pics?
Old 04-18-2008, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jn2
how did this end up, no ending pics?
if you try this make sure you get the resistor they list in the instructions and install it like they say too....

otherwise you engine will go into limp mode due to the piggy back modding the O2 signal
Old 06-08-2008, 04:48 PM

any thing new?
Old 06-21-2008, 08:57 PM

The MAF is frequency based so everytime I hook up the controller the car will not start. I'm looking into finding a way around this still...
Old 06-22-2008, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by RedBaseBolt
The MAF is frequency based so everytime I hook up the controller the car will not start. I'm looking into finding a way around this still...
with mine, it starts, but then cuts out a second or two later. is this the case for you? if so, I have a temporary fix
Old 06-22-2008, 10:51 AM

I'm looking into converting the MAF signal to Voltage with an external converter that I would add inline with the FIC. I would have to convert to votage for the FIC to read it and then convert back to frequency so the ECU remains happy.

This is a huge **** up on AEM's part. They have had the 2005 to 2007 Cobalt listed on their site at verified since this product cameout.

They never posted a wire diagram on their forums though and I haven't heard anything back from the questions I've posted overthere about how they hooked up the FIC to a cobalt if they KNEW it was a frequency based MAF.

I'm very diappointed with AEM at this point.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:26 PM

I called AEM directly and asked a technician about the use of the FIC on my 2005 Cobalt.

Question: Is the Cobalt 2.2L MAF Frequency based or Voltage based?

Answer: The tech believes that the cobalt should use a 0-5V sensor and doesn't understand where I got the idea that it uses a frequency based sensor.

Question: I asked if the FIC was tested on a Cobalt SS or 2.2L

Answer: The FIC was tested to work on the 2.2L

Question: I asked if it can function with the MAF hooked up then can I still run the controller without hooking up the MAF.

Answer: yes the only function that will be lost is MAF Clamp.

In accordance with the above information from AEM I'm going to by pass the MAF all together and see what I get this weekend.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:23 AM

sounds good. let me know what happens, as this is what im planning on doing as well
Old 06-27-2008, 03:32 PM

The car runs fine with the FIC installed and NOT tapping the MAF.

I am gonna try and solder in a 1K resistor between the MAF input signal and ground. This works on some other cars.

It doesn't hurt to try it I guess.

I'll post results.