How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

Appearance: How To: Paint YOur HeadLights (lots Of Pics) 56k (mabye)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think a true car guy wouldn't even ask that question...

then again a logical person would debate it...

I girly man would toss them right out...

Your not the kinda girly man that would say... bake cookies instead of working on his car...

haha nah I'm just playing... good idea tho
Old 06-02-2007, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are the people here who painted there head lights using high temp engine paint? or just regular spray paint?

also do u prime? sand? or jsut paint them.

and where can i get silicone crap for this lol.

thanks in advance. right now i have my head lamps in 6 peices and im ready to paint them since i scraped all the old silicone off already

ryan
Old 06-02-2007, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Cobalt30
are the people here who painted there head lights using high temp engine paint? or just regular spray paint?

also do u prime? sand? or jsut paint them.

and where can i get silicone crap for this lol.

thanks in advance. right now i have my head lamps in 6 peices and im ready to paint them since i scraped all the old silicone off already

ryan
i diddnt use high temp paint / nor did i sand or prime i just painted them after i cleaned them very well.

as for the silicone try walmart or homedepo they should have it i diddnt have to use any i left the stock and it sealed up pretty good
Old 06-05-2007, 09:58 PM

Here something New I did, more red will be on the way once I get her back and running

Old 06-13-2007, 09:19 AM

I'd like some opinions on something. Most everybody here paints their headlights black, as seen in the whole thread. What about painting the headlights color-matched to the body of the car? Would that look too weird or what? After seeing pics of the lights without the orange lens in them I am considering buying a second set of lights so I can take them apart without worrying about buggering up my originals, and I may consider painting them while they're apart.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by sunrise_mj
where would i find orange sunburst paint in a spray can?
at the dealer, they are selling touchup paint.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Julex
Here something New I did, more red will be on the way once I get her back and running

I like... if for nothing more than it is original and different. Great Job!

Originally Posted by NCC-2000
I'd like some opinions on something. Most everybody here paints their headlights black, as seen in the whole thread. What about painting the headlights color-matched to the body of the car? Would that look too weird or what? After seeing pics of the lights without the orange lens in them I am considering buying a second set of lights so I can take them apart without worrying about buggering up my originals, and I may consider painting them while they're apart.
I am going to paint mine to color match.... just havent had the free time yet... its killing my cuz I have all the supplies in my living room, including my replacement bulbs from luminics and its all just staring at me everyday after work

Last edited by OrngBalt; 06-13-2007 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-13-2007, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by NCC-2000

My Cobalt is red and when I finally get around to doing this I intend to paint mine body-matched red. I figure if it looks like crap I can always sand and paint over in black
Old 06-13-2007, 01:13 PM

heres some that im doing for a member on here. they are color matched victory red

Old 06-14-2007, 09:47 AM

Nice, yes I will be doing mine in red for sure now
Old 07-02-2007, 01:12 AM

very very nice. thanks for that
Old 07-02-2007, 01:43 PM

OK guys, quick question. I painted my headlights 2weeks ago, but didn't fully seal them up, as there's condensation inside. How do I get it out before I add more sealant? Put it in the oven again?
Old 07-02-2007, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by DallasCobalt
OK guys, quick question. I painted my headlights 2weeks ago, but didn't fully seal them up, as there's condensation inside. How do I get it out before I add more sealant? Put it in the oven again?
just take the headlamp out and use the hair dryer and blast some heat in there.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by OrngBalt
just take the headlamp out and use the hair dryer and blast some heat in there.
does that really work??
Old 07-02-2007, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by wdsoccer
does that really work??
In getting condensation out? Yea, it would be the same as baking it. I mean, we use hair dryers for all kinds of things in our cars... they are made to dry water. So it will work.

Just as a tip for all those guys painting their lights. I removed little to none of the original silicone once I pryed the two halves apart. When I put them back together I just added some "Liquid Nails clear sealant" to the areas that were lacking a little pushed them together and then put it in the oven to soften the original stuff. Once they were snapped together fully I added a bead of the sealant around teh outside and my headlights have zero condensation in them, even after the nasty storms of last week. I was getting splashed on top of my sunroof and felt like i was underwater it was raining so bad.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:08 PM

actually you do not have to. at least in my area. checked it with local authorities and they said white is fine as long as its not brighter than you headlights.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by hedlesshorsmenss
actually you do not have to. at least in my area. checked it with local authorities and they said white is fine as long as its not brighter than you headlights.
what???
Old 07-02-2007, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by hedlesshorsmenss
White? What are you talking about? We're just talking about getting the moisture out of the headlights.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:41 PM

think hes talking about the turn signal
Old 07-02-2007, 03:35 PM

I used Silverstars anyway. I think they look good, and keep me hassle-free.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:57 PM

I bought a set of Xenon Chromes from automotive lighting... but one cracked so I went with the Silver stars. was not a fan of the bluish tint they had at first but I am starting to love it it. Plus they are SOOOO much brighter
Old 07-31-2007, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by DallasCobalt
either the oven or the hair dryer will work fine. and if you have excess sealant that you want to remove try using bug and tar remover. that's what i used and it took that crap right off without scrubbing.
i used brake fluid for removing any overspray. when i blacked out my headlights i had a little overspray on the chrome sections cuz the f'in tape didn't stick good enough so i dipped a q-tip in some brake fluid and it rubbed right off and didn't damage the chrome at all. i also used it when i had to remove the tint spray from my tail lights cuz it looked like **** so i had to remove the smoke colored paint i bought and got some nightshades instead and now they look a 100 times better.

you might be able to get away with just running another bead of sealant without pulling them apart. i assume that the moisture is getting in from the bottom of the headlights so if i were you i would take them out and get some black or clear sealant and run a bead on the underneath side and then see if that works...otherwise take them apart and reseal them
Old 08-06-2007, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Fresh
either the oven or the hair dryer will work fine. and if you have excess sealant that you want to remove try using bug and tar remover. that's what i used and it took that crap right off without scrubbing.
i used brake fluid for removing any overspray. when i blacked out my headlights i had a little overspray on the chrome sections cuz the f'in tape didn't stick good enough so i dipped a q-tip in some brake fluid and it rubbed right off and didn't damage the chrome at all. i also used it when i had to remove the tint spray from my tail lights cuz it looked like **** so i had to remove the smoke colored paint i bought and got some nightshades instead and now they look a 100 times better.

you might be able to get away with just running another bead of sealant without pulling them apart. i assume that the moisture is getting in from the bottom of the headlights so if i were you i would take them out and get some black or clear sealant and run a bead on the underneath side and then see if that works...otherwise take them apart and reseal them
i usually stick a piece of tissue in there on a small stick or something that will bend and i also used my air compressor on some supra lights that i painted and i let the 50 psi air blow in there for like 5 minutes and everything cleared up nicely. Then i added some 100% sealant and there all fixed now and the guy is happy with them.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:57 PM

I'd like to paint my headlights black, but I'm not sure how great it would look on a silver car. can somebody post some pics of theirs?
Old 08-09-2007, 02:51 PM

i def wanna see thosevictory red's on a victory red.. this looks like a good cheap appearence mod.. they look great..

Quick Reply: Appearance: How To: Paint YOur HeadLights (lots Of Pics) 56k (mabye)