How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

Appearance: How to wire neons and LEDs

Old 11-24-2007, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to wire neons and LEDs

I found all of these diagrams on the web. So I figured to post them up here if anybody needs any help wiring LEDs, neons, Under neons, etc

Neon Accent Tube Wiring Diagram #1
(for neons WITHOUT external transformer). NOTE: If using a light up switch connect the 3rd connection on the switch to ground.

Neon Accent Tube Wiring Diagram #2
(for neons WITH external transformer). NOTE: If using a light up switch connect the 3rd connection on the switch to ground.

Neon Underbody Kit Diagram #1
(for kits WITHOUT an external transformer). NOTE: If using a light up switch connect the 3rd connection on the switch to ground.

Neon Underbody Kit Diagram #2
(for kits WITH an external transformer). NOTE: If using a light up switch connect the 3rd connection on the switch to ground

Neon Washer Nozzles Diagram
NOTE: If using a light up switch connect the 3rd connection on the switch to ground.

Neon Pedals Diagram
Neon Pedals Diagram

EL Wire Diagram
NOTE: If using a light up switch connect the 3rd connection on the switch to ground.

LED Wiring Diagram
Notice the load resistor that IS needed. For LED/load resistor information check out THIS SITE. . Also notice that the Anode on the LED is connected to positive. The Anode is the LONGER lead.
NOTE: If using a light up switch connect the 3rd connection on the switch to ground

Similar LED Wiring Diagram
Here's a similar LED wiring diagram showing 4 seperate LED's (NOT connected). Notice the load resistor that IS needed for each LED. For LED/load resistor information check out THIS SITE. . Also notice that the Anode on the LED is connected to positive. The Anode is the LONGER lead. NOTE: If using a light up switch connect the 3rd connection on the switch to ground.

Multiple LED's Wiring Diagram
Notice that NO load resistor is needed. For LED/load resistor information check out THIS SITE. Also notice the Anode and Cathode connections. The Anode is the LONGER lead. The LEDs MUST be connected in series, NOT in parallel.
NOTE: If using a light up switch connect the 3rd connection on the switch to ground

12 LED's Wiring Diagram
Notice that NO load resistor is needed. For LED/load resistor information check out THIS SITE. . Also notice the Anode and Cathode connections. The Anode is the LONGER lead. The LEDs MUST be connected in series, NOT in parallel.

Last edited by TommyP; 10-03-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:19 PM

nice write up
Old 12-08-2007, 01:33 PM

Nice Good diagrams
Old 12-10-2007, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the website that you got them all from???? Your "THIS SITE" (links) do not like us to anything.

But otherwise, it's a great diagram!
Old 12-10-2007, 01:45 PM

Very nice diagrams.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:23 PM

Thank you so much for this how to. I needed it.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:40 PM

Excellent write up. I already am getting interior neon tubes for christmas so this helps alot. One question, when getting a switch, i see alot that say, rated for 25 amps, or rated for 10 amps. Depending on the fuse/light that im using, im going to have to find a switch that is rated for more amps than required by the lights correct?

For example, lights that require 12v 5amps can be used with a switch that is rated for >5 amps right?
Old 12-21-2007, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Littlegoose
Excellent write up. I already am getting interior neon tubes for christmas so this helps alot. One question, when getting a switch, i see alot that say, rated for 25 amps, or rated for 10 amps. Depending on the fuse/light that im using, im going to have to find a switch that is rated for more amps than required by the lights correct?

For example, lights that require 12v 5amps can be used with a switch that is rated for >5 amps right?
yep thats right. I can't find anything on the amps from a set of 4 underbody neons though, but I've got a 10amp switch on my interiors and its fine so far, if it blows, clip the wires and add the 20 or 25 amp switch. I have my interiors wired directly to my battery, running wire under my car's carpet and plastic to under my dash where I put in a hidden little switch.

Also I installed my interiors using a parallel connection, meaning both lights +/- wires come back to the switch, instead of series which would be batterypos - pos wire - light - neg wire - pos wire - light - neg wire - neg batt. For me I think that I would rather do it parallel since if one light goes dead it won't knock the entire system out - whereas a series does what christmas tree lights do with a bad bulb *fiz fiz pop*

If you need any help with the wiring I'd be glad to walk you through what I did in my car, my boss wants me to do his 1969 firebird like I did my car. I'll do pics though for those who need it this weekend
Old 12-22-2007, 11:14 AM

what kind of battery are you guys using?

i just picked up a light for my footwell and i want to set it up like the first diagram but i am having trouble

do i have to use the cars battery? can i get a smaller 12 volt?

www.renterprises.net/catalog/i352.html

would something like this work?

Last edited by Kwin; 12-22-2007 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-22-2007, 11:17 AM

well you either got these off my post @ http://forums.wigm-tuners.org/index.php?

in which i got it from

http://www.oznium.com/
Old 12-22-2007, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by avenger09123
Also I installed my interiors using a parallel connection, meaning both lights +/- wires come back to the switch, instead of series which would be batterypos - pos wire - light - neg wire - pos wire - light - neg wire - neg batt. For me I think that I would rather do it parallel since if one light goes dead it won't knock the entire system out - whereas a series does what christmas tree lights do with a bad bulb *fiz fiz pop*
I was planning on doing a fuse tap into the same fuse as my headlamps (so that the neon lights will automatically turn on when my lights do) and running the lights to the on off switch (on being when lights are on, off whenever i flip the switch off). So Lights -> Switch -> Headlamp fuse.

If you see any flaws in this let me know.

Originally Posted by avenger09123
If you need any help with the wiring I'd be glad to walk you through what I did in my car, my boss wants me to do his 1969 firebird like I did my car. I'll do pics though for those who need it this weekend
I might be in touch with you soon.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:41 PM

A question, how that when you wire them in series you dont need a resistor? What keeps them from blowing?

Jay B
Old 05-21-2008, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by JayB1127
A question, how that when you wire them in series you dont need a resistor? What keeps them from blowing?

Jay B
a fuse coming off the main power wire
Old 05-21-2008, 06:38 PM

Nice ill be using this......
Old 05-22-2008, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by outtamymind
a fuse coming off the main power wire
Would you have any idea what size fuse would be used?

Jay B
Old 05-22-2008, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by JayB1127
Would you have any idea what size fuse would be used?

Jay B
depends on which lights you are using and how many. generally with interior leds a 5 or 7 amp fuse is good. outside lights you want to use either an 8 or 10 depending on lights
Old 05-22-2008, 03:07 PM

Im actally starting with my XBOX and pulling the 12 volts from the power wire to the fan.....(My vechicle isnt going to be the 1st project, lol) Would it be safe to use a car fuse? Like a spare?

Jay B
Old 05-22-2008, 03:24 PM

you would have to use an inline fuse for a 12-volt system
Old 06-13-2008, 09:30 AM

not to sound like a noob. but i tried wiring up some with a friend last night. but we seemed to have a problem. we had first spliced the power and ground wire with the wires plugged into the cigarette lighter that is located in that little spot in the center consloe. we wired up the main power wire to the supply volts on the switch, then we used the on acc. for the power wire to the leds and the black wire to the ground. but my friend had wired the leds in sucsession. do we need wire to connect each led to one an other. (we used the multi led diagram) what wire should be connecting them the power or negative? but after he got everything wired they wouldnt turn on. neither the switch. and now my ciggy lighter dont work. any ideas on what we did wrong??
Old 01-27-2010, 01:46 AM

good write up doing leds tomorrow
Old 01-27-2010, 09:36 PM

What happens in you don't have a fuse? I bought my neon and wire at Autozone and installed it. It worked fine for a while then I'm not sure why but it wasn't working.

I looked at the ground, power, and switch wires and re did them. But it still aint work.

On my wire going to the battery was the in line fuse holder thing. I ripped the wire from both sides then soldered them together and the neon works now. So what happens if you don't have that thing??

Originally Posted by orngebalt
not to sound like a noob. but i tried wiring up some with a friend last night. but we seemed to have a problem. we had first spliced the power and ground wire with the wires plugged into the cigarette lighter that is located in that little spot in the center consloe. we wired up the main power wire to the supply volts on the switch, then we used the on acc. for the power wire to the leds and the black wire to the ground. but my friend had wired the leds in sucsession. do we need wire to connect each led to one an other. (we used the multi led diagram) what wire should be connecting them the power or negative? but after he got everything wired they wouldnt turn on. neither the switch. and now my ciggy lighter dont work. any ideas on what we did wrong??

First off your going to want to go and learn how to you punctuation right. It's hard for anyone to help you if you are not able to clearly explain it.

but imma try. k. here goes. < See how annoying that is, dang!

If you have a 2 prong switch then wire the power wire from the cigg lighter to one prong on the switch. That is the separate wire not the led wire.

Now for the led wire. You should have a ground wire and a power wire. Red/yellow and black/brown. Wire the black wire (ground) wire to the a ground, something not painted.

Next the power wire from the led/s wire that to the other prong on the switch.

Yes the leds need to be wired together.

Any other questions, just ask but learn to use punctuation.

Last edited by ssr345; 01-27-2010 at 09:38 PM. Reason: none
Old 01-27-2010, 10:03 PM

ummm ssr345 why didn't you just replace the fuse. from what you described you had a blown fuse and could have been caused by a few differen't things.

and for the love of god people you shouldn't be tapping into existing electrical. use an empty fuse slot from any of the 6 on the bcm fuse slot. you do this for 2 reasons. first it makes it easier to diagnos any problems that may arrise and second you don't screw with your other electrical, the stock wiring systems are designed for what is on them and a little over for any slight surges anything more is just asking for problems.

anyone who has ever done any good wiring will tell you the exact same thing.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by outtamymind
ummm ssr345 why didn't you just replace the fuse. from what you described you had a blown fuse and could have been caused by a few differen't things.

and for the love of god people you shouldn't be tapping into existing electrical. use an empty fuse slot from any of the 6 on the bcm fuse slot. you do this for 2 reasons. first it makes it easier to diagnos any problems that may arrise and second you don't screw with your other electrical, the stock wiring systems are designed for what is on them and a little over for any slight surges anything more is just asking for problems.

anyone who has ever done any good wiring will tell you the exact same thing.

ummm I don't feel like paying for it and I really don't understand fuses or what they do.

and for the tapping into existing electrical, I didn't do that. I got a wire and wired my power wire directly to my battery. I don't like the idea of tapping into the other stuff like you said but it seemed this dude wanted to do that.

Again I don't understand the fuse thing. So if you could give me more info on the "bcm fuse slot" or whatever your talking about that would be appreciated.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:41 PM

ok well as long as its on its own circuit. and you can tap into empty fuse slots on the bcm fuse box that is in the passenger foot well in the middle. this means that you are getting power from the electrical system but not from an existing system.

and with your inline fuse holder that you cut out and direct wired everything, if you had of taken the old fuse out and replaced it with the same fuse you would have been set for about 50 cents.

now as for your question about what will it do without it, well you can potentially fry your lights if you are running it directly from the battery. the fuse is there to break the circuit if there is a surge. so rather then destroying everything the fuse blows and cuts power to everything.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:48 PM

ok so should i buy more fuses or what do i need to get cause i have the brass fuse taps that you add to the fuse what do i actually have to buy