How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

2.0 LSJ Engine: Return-style fuel system for 2.0 LSJ

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by el_angelito
jose what is the different in hp with fuel return because I have the same item but not the return line and I have the same HP
In my case, the increase in hp was due to the elimination of KR by changing from returnless to return-style
Old 03-06-2008, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, what's up Mr Garcia?
Old 03-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
LS1's don't have return lines... so I don't think I need return lines. But this is very useful info. If I do change my mind. I might come back to it.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by shabodah
Well, what's up Mr Garcia?
Hey man, I already have the Earl Performance check valve in my house. I've been very busy lately. I'm hoping that tomorrow I could buy a straight end 6AN fitting (since the new check valve have two male ends) and installed it. I'll keep you guys updated.

If it doesn't work, the only thing to test are both Aeromotive and Earl check valves connected in line.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:59 AM

subscribed
Old 03-31-2008, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by jgarciarivera
Parts needed

Step 10 Use a wideband to setup the fuel pressure. Set the pressure. Try to set it for 40-41 psi. At vacuum should be 50-51psi.
Okay, I am getting ready to do this on my car, but the quote above makes no sense. set it for 40-41psi where? At barametric? Also with VAC the presure @ the regulator should go down to equalize the effective pressure, correct?
Old 03-31-2008, 09:49 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
of course I still havent installed this yet lol.
but i got the pump to fit in the factory cartridge with some small modifications it fits like the stock one
Old 03-31-2008, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
of course I still havent installed this yet lol.
but i got the pump to fit in the factory cartridge with some small modifications it fits like the stock one
You're going to have to help me with that one. I don't even know what I am going to do with my pump yet.

I do need to get clarity about that one quote though. I know nothing about pumps and regulators and stuff, but I do know injectors. As VAC increases, so does the effective fuel pressure. Therefore psi would have to be reduced at high VAC and increased at high boost to keep a stable effective fuel pressure. So why would the pressure on a regulator go UP in a VAC situation? That is what our returnless system does (effectively). Aren't we doing this mod to equalize the effective fuel pressure accross the board?
Old 03-31-2008, 10:37 PM

im not sure what he ment by that steve but u want to set ur fpr at idle to the psi u want to tune ur afr at idle..the fpr i showed u is a 1:1 regulator which means it will go up 1 psi with 1 psi of boost so if u set it for 50psi and u go into wot and boost 17psi from the s/c the fpr will now be set at 67psi...
Old 03-31-2008, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Raven SS
im not sure what he ment by that steve but u want to set ur fpr at idle to the psi u want to tune ur afr at idle..the fpr i showed u is a 1:1 regulator which means it will go up 1 psi with 1 psi of boost so if u set it for 50psi and u go into wot and boost 17psi from the s/c the fpr will now be set at 67psi...
Okay, then that concerns me. I don't want the PSI to the rail staying the same from 15kPa all the way to 100kPa and THEN decide to start raising at 1:1. I want it to truly referrence manvac. I set it at 50psi at barametric and it drops with vacuum and rises with boost. Otherwize, what's the point? That is the ONLY way to actually be able to flatline your IFRs and ofsets as well as giving you the fuel you need at WOT and raising the PWs at idle to keep 60s in their linear range. Do I need a different regulator?
Old 03-31-2008, 11:04 PM

the psi is only there to allow the fuel back to the tank..so if u set it at 50 psi than until the rail pressure is 50 psi it wont allow fuel back to the tank..maybe im missing what ur concern is
Old 03-31-2008, 11:20 PM

the psi is only there to allow the fuel back to the tank..so if u set it at 50 psi than until the rail pressure is 50 psi it wont allow fuel back to the tank..maybe im missing what ur concern is
His concern (and mine) is that he wants a regulator that will reference boost AND vaccuum. When you are crusing and your are in VAC - that the regulator will decrease pressure so that the pressure of the fuel coming out of the injector is always 60 PSI above manifold pressure - no matter if he is at 25 PSI or -10 PSI. This way you can completey flatline your IFR's and not have to deal with that bullshit.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:38 PM

Ok guys you are losing me on the BS, but this is how a fuel pressure regulator works:

Set it for 45 psi, its 45 psi base pressure plus manifold pressure. If manifold pressure is negative, it removes fuel pressure, if its in boost, its adds. Simple.

Also, 1:1 is not rising rate regardless what your eBay auctions tell you. Rising rate is for FMUs.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:44 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Witt
Ok guys you are losing me on the BS, but this is how a fuel pressure regulator works:

Set it for 45 psi, its 45 psi base pressure plus manifold pressure. If manifold pressure is negative, it removes fuel pressure, if its in boost, its adds. Simple.

Also, 1:1 is not rising rate regardless what your eBay auctions tell you. Rising rate is for FMUs.
Glad someone added some intelligence to this thread... I was getting worried.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:51 PM

^ What I said....but Witt had a better choice of words
Old 04-01-2008, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Pully Police
His concern (and mine) is that he wants a regulator that will reference boost AND vaccuum. When you are crusing and your are in VAC - that the regulator will decrease pressure so that the pressure of the fuel coming out of the injector is always 60 PSI above manifold pressure - no matter if he is at 25 PSI or -10 PSI. This way you can completey flatline your IFR's and not have to deal with that bullshit.
BINGO!!

Thank you Witt. I wanted to make sure that THIS regulator works that way. Everyoine was saying it's "boost referenced". I even asked an "Aeromitive authorized" dealer off ebay. His answer was, "Hello, Vacuum will not reduce the pressure but boost will increase the pressure. Thanks, George" Which would mean that if I set bas pressure to 50psi, I would get 50 psi to the rail untill 100kPa where I would start to increase. Then that quote that if base pressure is at 40 psi I would get 50 psi at vacuum had me all screwed up. My concern with that info should be pretty self evident.

Last edited by SJSchafer; 04-01-2008 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-01-2008, 12:40 AM

thats what i said minus the vacuum part...
Old 04-01-2008, 12:51 AM

lol. For me, the vacuum part is the important part. It is going to allow aflatlined IFR without having to do math and use the modifier. A fliatlined offset table (kPa wise, it still varies by volts) and allow a butter smooth idle with 60s at 750 rpm with minimal, if any adder adjustment.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by SJSchafer
BINGO!!

Thank you Witt. I wanted to make sure that THIS regulator works that way. Everyoine was saying it's "boost referenced". I even asked an "Aeromitive authorized" dealer off ebay. His answer was, "Hello, Vacuum will not reduce the pressure but boost will increase the pressure. Thanks, George" Which would mean that if I set bas pressure to 50psi, I would get 50 psi to the rail untill 100kPa where I would start to increase. Then that quote that if base pressure is at 40 psi I would get 50 psi at vacuum had me all screwed up. My concern with that info should be pretty self evident.
The diaphram cannot distinguish pressure below atmospheric to pressure above atmospheric. You set the base pressure with the line disconnected, set, reconnect and tune away.

lol. For me, the vacuum part is the important part. It is going to allow aflatlined IFR without having to do math and use the modifier. A fliatlined offset table (kPa wise, it still varies by volts) and allow a butter smooth idle with 60s at 750 rpm with minimal, if any adder adjustment.
If the FPR states it only compensates for boost (I've never seen this but just assuming) set base pressure at idle when vacuum is high and anything above that will add fuel pressure.

BTW, if you want a butter smooth idle with large injectors, try an injector that isn't pintle style.

Last edited by Witt; 04-01-2008 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-01-2008, 12:58 AM

The diaphram cannot distinguish pressure below atmospheric to pressure above atmospheric. You set the base pressure with the line disconnected, set, reconnect and tune away.
Sweet. Thanks Witt. Just wanted to make sure before I order the regulator.

Do you recommend a new pump right away, or do you think the factory pump will be okay untill later when I go TVS? I know I would have to pull the dead head regulator, but I don't know if they are seperable.

BTW, if you want a butter smooth idle with large injectors, try an injector that isn't pintle style.
Yea, I know. Got any extra ceramic ones laying around? Pintle bounce FTMFL!

Last edited by SJSchafer; 04-01-2008 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-01-2008, 12:59 AM

subscribed
Old 04-01-2008, 01:02 AM

Sweet. Thanks Witt. Just wanted to make sure before I order the regulator.

Do you recommend a new pump right away, or do you think the factory pump will be okay untill later when I go TVS? I know I would have to pull the dead head regulator, but I don't know if they are seperable.
I honestly couldn't tell you what the factory pump can flow as I haven't tested it. I can say this though, Paul from New York (411whp guy) fit a Walbro 255lph GSS342 just by using a rotary tool to the inside of the fuel canister and it fit great. That specific model does not have an internal check valve however so pre-start priming is necessary.

The regulator is on the end of the stock return line. I posted a pic for Paul not too long ago in one of his threads. Its the only stainless steel component in the fuel canister so you can't miss it.

Yea, I know. Got any extra ceramic ones laying around? Pintle bounce FTMFL!
No, but Racetronix sells disc style for 75 bucks a piece with better static flow rates than 60s and better smaller short pulse flow rates as well. Check these out when you get bored http://www.racetronix.com/01D129xFM.html

Last edited by Witt; 04-01-2008 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-01-2008, 07:57 AM

50 psi without vacuum hose attached FPR. When attached it drops to 42 psi.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:01 AM

subscribed
Old 04-01-2008, 09:29 AM

I honestly couldn't tell you what the factory pump can flow as I haven't tested it. I can say this though, Paul from New York (411whp guy) fit a Walbro 255lph GSS342 just by using a rotary tool to the inside of the fuel canister and it fit great. That specific model does not have an internal check valve however so pre-start priming is necessary.

The regulator is on the end of the stock return line. I posted a pic for Paul not too long ago in one of his threads. Its the only stainless steel component in the fuel canister so you can't miss it.

No, but Racetronix sells disc style for 75 bucks a piece with better static flow rates than 60s and better smaller short pulse flow rates as well. Check these out when you get bored http://www.racetronix.com/01D129xFM.html
Thanks Witt. I'm all over it.

Originally Posted by jgarciarivera
50 psi without vacuum hose attached FPR. When attached it drops to 42 psi.
Cool. Thanks. That is exactly what I wanted to see.

Last edited by SJSchafer; 04-01-2008 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: 2.0 LSJ Engine: Return-style fuel system for 2.0 LSJ