How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

Interior: Thread your stock ss/sc shifter/knob

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thread your stock ss/sc shifter/knob

Well I've had a problem with my shifter falling off while driving. This is annoying and can be downright dangerous so I decided to fix up the stocker instead of getting a new shifter assembly. This cost about $30 for the helicoil kit. I had the rest of the stuff. Lets get started...

-Parts/tools
Note: You can use any 1/2" thread, just make sure you can match them.
1/2"x20 tap and die
1/2"x20 heli coil kit
33/64" drill bit
1/4" drill bit
glue only if you break off any plastic tabs
small flat head screwdriver
dykes (wire cutters)
drill
small flat washers

-Removal of the shift knob

Have the car off and simply do a hard shift to second and keep pulling. After you stop laughing at how easy they come off take off the spring and put it aside. On a side note it might be a little harder to pull it off. It should be easier to do if your knob already fell off.

Threading the shifter

I forgot to take a pic of me doing this but it's very easy. Just take the die and set it flat on the shifter. Take your time threading it on and make sure you go straight. Turn about 1 full turn then back it off 1/4 turn to keep the new threads clean from debris. Continue doing this for about 1"-1.5". Back off the die and clean up your mess

Threading the knob

This is a little more involved then doing the shifter itself. The problem is that it isn't completely flat inside. The walls have verticle ridges that come in contact with the shifter. So if you just try to thread it with the tap like that it will strip out very easily. What you have to do instead is use a helicoil.

Here's a pic of the kit I used:

I used a 1/2"X20 thread and the kit I used called for a 33/64" drill bit. First off I took off the plastic cover on the knob (the part with the shift pattern on it) by gently prying up on the black plastic till it came off. Be careful as there is 3 little tabs holding it on that can easily break off. I managed to break off one of them. I then drilled through the top of the metal with a 1/4" drill bit. I did this for 2 reasons. 1 being I wanted to monitor the thickness of it when I was drilling it out, and 2 so I could break off the heli coil tab pretty easily with a punch/screwdriver.

What you want to do next is drill out the knob keeping it as straight as possible. DO NOT GO ALL THE WAY THROUGH. Keep your eye on it by looking through the little hole you drilled just before. Next take your tap that came with your heli coil kit and thread the hole as far as you can go. Go slow and do the 1 full turn/back it off 1/4 turn like before.

Once you're done with that install the helicoil per the instructions on the package. Don't forget to break off the tab on the coil AFTER it's installed completely.

I had some extra coil sticking out of my knob so I simply cut it off with a pair of dykes.

Before and after removing the coils:

Install

Put the spring back on, and screw down the knob. It'll give you some tension because the reverse lockout isn't round but keep on going. You'll be able to see the shifter through the hole you drilled in the top and when you get close it'll tighten up. Adjust as needed between tightness/alingment with the lockout. If you can't get it tight enough with keeping the lockout straight take it back off and use some small washers inside of the knob to take up some space. Once it's satisfactory put back on the knob cover. I used some glue because of the broken off tab. If you didn't break off any you won't need any glue. I really didn't need it either, but figured what the heck. 2 broken tabs or more and you'll definitly need it.

Hopefully this helps out someone who had the same problem as I did and didn't want to go aftermarket.

Last edited by TommyP; 05-23-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:48 PM

Nice job and now you could use an aftermarket knob. you could just glue it back on. Use adhesive Loctite™ 270 with Activator 7471 or Activator 7649. DO NOT operate the lever until the adhesive has dried (approximately 30 minutes). This is what gm does.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by spaz
Nice job
Thanks
Old 06-03-2007, 02:50 AM

hey awsome post. i was wondering if i would be able to cut the stock shifter a bit then thread it. any ideas?
Old 06-04-2007, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by qnzrocka
hey awsome post. i was wondering if i would be able to cut the stock shifter a bit then thread it. any ideas?
I'm sure you could do that. However you might have to trim some off of the top of the reverse lockout slider so that it can fully lift clearing the gate. There is probably some room there though before you would need to trim that. But it would be cake anyway if you had to.