Mid Central NE, KS, IA, MO, and IL

exhaust laws in illinois

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust laws in illinois

hey everybody. i just got a ticket the other day for a loud exhaust ithought it was pretty shitty. i get a ticket for my carwhen harlys can ride around with those pipes that are rediculously loud. i was just curious on what the law was they told me 75 feet but this cop loves me its my third ticket from himsince may and the fifth time he has pulled me over.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:00 AM

just google it man. but it sounds like the cop just doesnt like the cobalt
Old 10-28-2007, 03:09 AM

yea he really doessnt know one does but there speechless when it beats them he has been busting my ***** even when i had a tahoe but that was for the kickass sound system
Old 10-28-2007, 03:29 AM
Not a Sebring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got a stack of exhaust tickets. One from when I had my RX-7, two in my Cobalt, and I think im up to 2 verbal warnings and 3 written warnings for "improper equipment" or "excessive noise".

The funny thing is, some of the State Troopers on 66 drive motorcycles 3 times louder than any car i've heard, and yet the're handing out tickets to people for their exhaust being too loud. Gay.

VA cops are harsh, and they especially don't like tuner cars for some reason.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:23 AM

yea i have never had a problem with state cops drive buy them every day to work andnot even a second look. most of the city cops dont look either but this ******* stares everytime bout tired of him but yea we have that to almost every cop in town has a bike with loud pipes wich im about to call and complain on lol
Old 10-28-2007, 09:42 PM

No resonator muffler replaced with glasspack for about 1 year. No exhaust tickets yet. Plenty of others.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Did the cop acutally check what db the vehicle was at? In almost all cities the ordinances usually read: vehicle excessive noise when above 90 db at 75 feet. If the cop didn't actually test the db generated by your vehicle I don't see how he could have known you were not in compliance with the ordinance regardless of what

Illinois state law says:

No motor carrier subject to this rule shall operate any motor vehicle of a type with respect to which this rule is applicable and which at any time or under any condition of highway grade, load, acceleration or deceleration generates a sound level in excess of 86 dB(A) measured on an open site with fast meter response at 50 feet from the centerline of lane of travel on highways with speed limits of 35 miles per hour or less; or 90 dB(A) measured on an open site with fast meter response at 50 feet from the centerline of lane of travel on highways with speed limits of more than 35 miles per hour.

You would have to look up the actual noice ordinances and noise pollution laws for the city or town you got the ticket in though because many local municipalities have their own noise pollution ordinances.

You could always plead not guilty and make them take the ticket to trial. Many times, especially if they don't have proof that you were breaking the law, they may just drop the ticket and you may just get stuck with court costs. Otherwise, at least you make them waste their time having to take a $50 ticket to court and make them spend more then they are getting.

Last edited by rnjmur; 10-29-2007 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-29-2007, 01:40 PM
Not a Sebring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The VA law states that "any alteration performed to the factory exhaust system will be considered improper and will be assesed as illegal".

So technically, a cop could write someone a ticket for having just an aftermarket muffler tip if he so felt the need to, as the tip is part of the exhaust. While I've never known a cop to do that, I do know people who have been pulled over for having just an aftermarket muffler.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by rnjmur
Did the cop acutally check what db the vehicle was at? In almost all cities the ordinances usually read: vehicle excessive noise when above 90 db at 75 feet. If the cop didn't actually test the db generated by your vehicle I don't see how he could have known you were not in compliance with the ordinance regardless of what

Illinois state law says:

No motor carrier subject to this rule shall operate any motor vehicle of a type with respect to which this rule is applicable and which at any time or under any condition of highway grade, load, acceleration or deceleration generates a sound level in excess of 86 dB(A) measured on an open site with fast meter response at 50 feet from the centerline of lane of travel on highways with speed limits of 35 miles per hour or less; or 90 dB(A) measured on an open site with fast meter response at 50 feet from the centerline of lane of travel on highways with speed limits of more than 35 miles per hour.

You would have to look up the actual noice ordinances and noise pollution laws for the city or town you got the ticket in though because many local municipalities have their own noise pollution ordinances.

You could always plead not guilty and make them take the ticket to trial. Many times, especially if they don't have proof that you were breaking the law, they may just drop the ticket and you may just get stuck with court costs. Otherwise, at least you make them waste their time having to take a $50 ticket to court and make them spend more then they are getting.
all the ticket said was heard from 75 feet away he claimed to be in the gas station when he heard me and he must of hauled ass to get in his car and catch me with in 3 block i never saw any one behind me then lights but i got a 75 dollar ticket i wish it was 50 lol this ***** gave me 75 for apmlified stereo when everyone else was getting 50 this guy must not like me. and man im glad i dont live in va. lol but thanks for the help
Old 10-31-2007, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by buckshot3448
i was just curious on what the law was
(625 ILCS 5/12‑602) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12‑602)
Sec. 12‑602. Mufflers, prevention of noise.
Every motor vehicle driven or operated upon the highways of this State shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler or exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise. No such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all the requirements of this Section.
(Source: P. A. 77‑37.)
Old 10-31-2007, 02:50 PM
Banned

i had a 3.5" downpipe on my srt4 no exhaust at all,just open downpipe and cops never gave me a ticket,they actually gave me a thumbs up when they saw the car..hahahaa
Old 11-01-2007, 09:19 PM

i have a megan racing muffler on my white ss... its pretty loud at 3k+, but i dont get on it and dont bring attention to myself a lot

but yeah, wife has got asked about it while being pulled over for other things. cops around here are pretty cool though, they dont do much about it... but i have heard horror stories from other towns around us in illinois... check this **** out...

rossville, illinois is making an ordinance that allows SEIZURE of a vehicle with a louder (than stock) exhaust.

ghey in my opinion

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/20/2030.asp
Old 11-02-2007, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by RedfoxTwenty
i have a megan racing muffler on my white ss... its pretty loud at 3k+, but i dont get on it and dont bring attention to myself a lot

but yeah, wife has got asked about it while being pulled over for other things. cops around here are pretty cool though, they dont do much about it... but i have heard horror stories from other towns around us in illinois... check this **** out...

rossville, illinois is making an ordinance that allows SEIZURE of a vehicle with a louder (than stock) exhaust.

ghey in my opinion

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/20/2030.asp
yea i dont know about pekin but i know east peoria and peoria are real bad on stuff like that which is why i dont live there lol/ but i do work at cat so im careful when i drive thru. im moving to bloomington in augaust there pretty easy on people there ive never had problems yet lol. my car is real loud at about 3 grand when getting on it and 2nd gear is just saying pull me over but oh well its not getting change and i have 75 bucks in the glove compartment ready him the next time he pulls me over.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteSSBalt
The VA law states that "any alteration performed to the factory exhaust system will be considered improper and will be assesed as illegal".

So technically, a cop could write someone a ticket for having just an aftermarket muffler tip if he so felt the need to, as the tip is part of the exhaust. While I've never known a cop to do that, I do know people who have been pulled over for having just an aftermarket muffler.
Ahhh how I miss the Communistwealth of Virginia. So glad I'm going back next month.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:13 AM

IL law is any mod to the exhaust beyond stock is illegal
Old 11-11-2007, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by origami78
IL law is any mod to the exhaust beyond stock is illegal
it seems like any mod to the car in illinois is illegal im suprise you can put aftermarket wheels on your car
Old 11-13-2007, 09:11 AM

It is actually illegal if your tires stick out beyond the fender in IL. That is why people put on fender flairs.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:08 AM

yup thats why this state sucks so much
Old 11-14-2007, 04:55 PM

They dont give a **** in vegas ... i got pulled over just to get a compliment once from a bike cop......young dood .....hes like i just want to say damn that sounds good lol then i find out hes an ss/sc owner lmao

maybe i got lucky but ..... i have gone straight headers on shop days and havent gotten a single complaint

then again its vegas theres bigger fish to fry !!!!!
Old 11-15-2007, 09:47 AM

yea here in po dunk we aint got **** but pic on people with cars plus this cop hates my guts its bullshit but whatever
Old 11-15-2007, 02:22 PM
Get low

i had gotten pulled over for numourous supid things when i had the balt...... lets list lol

-shaved front plate
-shaved third brake light
-wheels sticking out like 1/2 inch past fenders(later rolled the fenders out anyways so it fit again)
-ride hight (i was on airbags and could lay frame almost) cop didnt like seeing my car driving dumped then it had a magical clearence of about 6 inches when he checked it lol
-HIDs (aftermarket retrofit)
-green reverse lights
-4 pt harnesses (although they were legal... schroth auto harness)
- tinted tails
-tinted plate in rear
-modified exhaust

i got pulled over atleast 2 times for each of these lol the plate and exhaust each 6 times exactly lol but no tickets just logn ass talks then a complement about the car

o also they didnt like my train horns lol