Mid Central NE, KS, IA, MO, and IL

Hydroshield

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hydroshield

Does anybody think that I need to get a hydroshield for my K&N short ram intake?
Old 07-31-2011, 06:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pummy023
Does anybody think that I need to get a hydroshield for my K&N short ram intake?
I would go with a no on that one. If it is short ram, it should be high enough that water should not be an issue. If it is, then you got some problems. If your paranoid, get one, its not a huge investment, like 20 bucks, and piece of mind.

I ran my CAI, though some crazy storms, and were i live in Illinois this past winter had like 3 feet of snow, and i had no issues with water. What you have is compact sport car, not a truck, so just don't take it though a rally stage with 3 feet of mud and water and your good!
Old 08-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
not sure how the k&n monuts, but my injen is a fender well intake, and i highly recomend it. if u ever drive through puddles, snow, etc, it is necessary IMO. not too expensive either so its really no loss over the chance of big loss. last thing u wanna do is hydrolock when u could have prevented it
Old 08-08-2011, 06:11 PM

Coming from someone who just hydrolocked his motor last thursday.

BUY THE HYDROSHIELD!

I just got the car a week and a half ago, and the previous owner had done the superbial airbox mod, and stuck a cone filter on the end.

Well yea, I drove through some rain, and had a truck splash water my way, and it pretty well had to of drowned the intake, it had sucked up a ton of water.

I can see it helping against rain and puddles, but I wanna know what would happen if its completely submerged.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Elite v1
Coming from someone who just hydrolocked his motor last thursday.

BUY THE HYDROSHIELD!

I just got the car a week and a half ago, and the previous owner had done the superbial airbox mod, and stuck a cone filter on the end.

Well yea, I drove through some rain, and had a truck splash water my way, and it pretty well had to of drowned the intake, it had sucked up a ton of water.

I can see it helping against rain and puddles, but I wanna know what would happen if its completely submerged.
If you look closely at the front end of your car, you will notice there is a gap in between the headlight and the bumper, ive heard of many people weather stripping them. Either way, unless you do weather strip them, water will one way or another get to your filter. A hydro shield, is water resistant, and nowhere close to water proof. Your filter will at one point or another get wet. Even taking it to car wash is sometimes enough. A hydro shield wont save you, if your doing things that make you think you need one. A hydro shield is a peace of mind, that if it rains, if you take it to the car wash, if you hit a puddle or two, its gonna help. Its not gonna save your life. But again.... 20 dollars, for some peace of mind, why not?
Old 08-12-2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by doubledamageXX
If you look closely at the front end of your car, you will notice there is a gap in between the headlight and the bumper, ive heard of many people weather stripping them. Either way, unless you do weather strip them, water will one way or another get to your filter. A hydro shield, is water resistant, and nowhere close to water proof. Your filter will at one point or another get wet. Even taking it to car wash is sometimes enough. A hydro shield wont save you, if your doing things that make you think you need one. A hydro shield is a peace of mind, that if it rains, if you take it to the car wash, if you hit a puddle or two, its gonna help. Its not gonna save your life. But again.... 20 dollars, for some peace of mind, why not?
Yea, when I get my car back, im putting the stock airbox on it with a K&N drop in.

Its literally not worth the 2-10hp gain to play chance everytime it rains to have a open cone filter down in the fenderwell.

I had a full CAI on my cavalier eco, never had any problems with the rain, or carwash.

If the filter gets moist, whatever water makes it to the motor, is gonna be so atomized/starting to evaporate, it wont harm the motor.

When you completely submerge the filter, thats when its gonna suck up gallons of water in a matter of seconds.