New Members Check In!! If you're new to CobaltSS, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Cobalt!!

2009 Cobalt LS - Fuse Box Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2009 Cobalt LS - Fuse Box Issue

Dear Cobalt Community,

My name is Pam and I also love my Cobalt Not the 2009 I am perplexed about...but a sweet 2005. I have spent the afternoon trying to research this issue with no luck and am hoping for your help

Issue: I am trying to exchange the fuse panel from the 2005 to the 2009 and although they are arraigned differently...I believe from everything I've read that these two engines are completely compatible. The 2009 fuse panel (Type 1) has two plug in clips with wires at the very top left of the fuse panel. The 2005 panel only has one clip/wire. My question and problem is that NONE of the diagrams I found have labeled what they are or where these wires go. It is nearly impossible to follow the wire as they are all wrapped and too tight to follow. Can anyone tell me what the lower clip and wire do and where they go??? Or if this lower clip/wire is essential or not? Or is this fuse box not compatible with the other?

Just a touch of background. I had a 2005 Cobalt LS with a 5-speed which ran like a race car...which I drove like a race car I drove it for a year and a half and it was one the most reliable cars I ever had!!! I had just put a lot of $$$ in it (brakes, lower front end, lights...etc) and sadly blew the engine I searched to find a compatible Cobalt to put all new parts in and picked up a 2009 Cobalt LS which I understood to be completely compatible. I was hoping it would be awesome too! NOT! It has been one thing after another...and now this...

The car would run great when it ran! But then...get an attitude....and for no apparent reason NOT start...nothing. (always in rain, sleet, or snow...lol) and then for no apparent reason...decide to start and run great until it got an attitude again. It has left me stranded dozens of times!!!. It turns out that the 2009 that I picked up is a NY car and is like the engine was dipped in salt!!! Anyway...I have too much money tied up and little money to fix...so am sooo hoping that the 2005 pristine fuse box would fit.

Thank you in advance for any and all advice as I am obviously a novice mechanic and need the car.
Pam

Old 03-29-2023, 09:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am not familare with the LS as much as the SS but if i remember right in 07 they whent to a CAN BUS system so the boxes might not be interchangeable
Old 03-29-2023, 09:47 AM

Received 361 Likes on 308 Posts
So, which fuse panel, the one inside the car or the one under the hood. Inside the car is also the body control module and you cant interchange those two different years. Outside would require rewiring of your harness but... but.... should be able to make work. Are both vehicles a ls 2.2? both manual or auto? could use a little more information on each, or the vins would be better