New Members Check In!! If you're new to CobaltSS, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Cobalt!!

From New Brunswick Canada new 07 ss/sc

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From New Brunswick Canada new 07 ss/sc

Hey guys, just bought a silver 07 ss/sc last month. Went up to quebec to find a g35, but came back with a cobalt. Couldn't resist the deal! The car is in amazing shape with only a small paint flake under rear wheel well and some surface rust underneath but very solid it was undercoated and winter driven for only 2 years of its life. The guy I bought it from was selling it cheap because he lost his lisence and it would possibly overheat because of a bad thermostat... after checking it out the car was actually fine, ran good, and didnt over heat. Drove it back to new brunswick and right up to ontario and had no issues. Only codes I could find was that it was running rich. The battery was the original battery and ended up dying on me. Replaced the battery and it works great. Anyways, I'm wondering how far I should go with mods without decreasing its value or reliability. Being a student in Canada on the east coast rust is a big issue for our cars, and currently its my daily and I'm not sure if I want to winter drive it yet. Any tips on things I should change or maintenance to do on the lsj? Car just crossed 170000kms and from my knowlege everything is still original. So far I have put some injector cleaner in it... the owner said it ran its whole life on 87 octane.

Thanks.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:39 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Are you looking for more power, want it to sound better, want it to handle better or what are you trying to get out of your mods? As far as your power adders go kind of depends on what type or grade of fuel you want to run. Also, being a student and having this car as your daily my best advice would be to just replace worn out components with performance parts and leave the rest alone for maximum reliability, especially if you don't have a backup vehicle.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:10 PM

Received 532 Likes on 456 Posts
You also bought it from Quebec which is typically a cheaper used car market. Running on 87? That's probably why it was running rich. Needs 91 in that bad boy.
I would also do a quick tune up on it: New synthetic oil + filter, new spark plugs - probably needs a TB treatment. I would also run a can of seafoam in the gas tank a couple times after every other fillup.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:25 PM

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
I like Silver!
The following users liked this post:
WhinycobaltSS (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by ProfDNS
You also bought it from Quebec which is typically a cheaper used car market. Running on 87? That's probably why it was running rich. Needs 91 in that bad boy.
I would also do a quick tune up on it: New synthetic oil + filter, new spark plugs - probably needs a TB treatment. I would also run a can of seafoam in the gas tank a couple times after every other fillup.
Yeah he was the original owner and was told by the dealership he could run it with 87 octane... he says he never had any issues. As soon as I bought it I started filling up with 91. I will be doing the oil change and filter sometime soon and I just put in new spark plugs. Not sure what you mean by a TB treatment thought.
Thanks for the response!
Old 07-12-2019, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
Are you looking for more power, want it to sound better, want it to handle better or what are you trying to get out of your mods? As far as your power adders go kind of depends on what type or grade of fuel you want to run. Also, being a student and having this car as your daily my best advice would be to just replace worn out components with performance parts and leave the rest alone for maximum reliability, especially if you don't have a backup vehicle.
I wont be track racing the car, but I also wouldn't want to lose to a civic si... Originally I was planning on some kind of short ram to hear the supercharger better and some kind of exhaust work because I've driven a 2.4na cobalt with a full magnaflow and it sounded deep and popped alot. I loved it. I noticed mine seems to pop a little bit too but it isnt very loud. My problem is I don't want to loose value in the car in the event that I'd have to sell it. So I'm not sure what would lower the value. I was also thinking of a stage 2 kit, but lots of people might not want it after they've seen that its been tinkered with.
Thanks.