New Members Check In!! If you're new to CobaltSS, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Cobalt!!

New Cobalt SS owner in Windsor Ont.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Cobalt SS owner in Windsor Ont.

Just checking in. New Cobalt SS owner, scored a good deal on an 07 with a fairly new engine but was sitting next to a big lake for the last year. I found out why it was such a good deal when I got it home and drove it for the first time. Lol
Old 01-07-2019, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
Welcome!
Old 01-07-2019, 04:48 PM

Received 361 Likes on 308 Posts
Welcome, so you just gonna leave us hanging like that?
Old 01-07-2019, 09:34 PM

Good day guys. When I first saw the pics of the car for sale, I messaged the guy and told him I will buy it right now, not running, the guy just wanted it gone. He said it sat for over a year and he lived on Lake St Clair. It looked black in the pics but when I saw it in person, it’s actually dark purple. Not crazy about it but I bought it anyways. Had it taken home on a flatbed put a new battery in it, fresh gas and oil and fired it up but the belt started smoking and barely moving. Replace the belt, worn out tensioner and almost seized alternator and then it fired up. After 2 months of sitting in my driveway, I drove it for the first time last week and front end sounds terrible, C.V. axles are clicking, there is some real bad clunking and wobbling but still drives straight. I bought new axles and just waiting for a nice day off work to install them and see what else is bad under there. I’ve been driving it like an old woman and still haven’t hammered in it yet because it sounds like something is gonna break.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:27 AM

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by PlumcrazySS
Good day guys. When I first saw the pics of the car for sale, I messaged the guy and told him I will buy it right now, not running, the guy just wanted it gone. He said it sat for over a year and he lived on Lake St Clair. It looked black in the pics but when I saw it in person, it’s actually dark purple. Not crazy about it but I bought it anyways. Had it taken home on a flatbed put a new battery in it, fresh gas and oil and fired it up but the belt started smoking and barely moving. Replace the belt, worn out tensioner and almost seized alternator and then it fired up. After 2 months of sitting in my driveway, I drove it for the first time last week and front end sounds terrible, C.V. axles are clicking, there is some real bad clunking and wobbling but still drives straight. I bought new axles and just waiting for a nice day off work to install them and see what else is bad under there. I’ve been driving it like an old woman and still haven’t hammered in it yet because it sounds like something is gonna break.
Sucks the previous owner lost interest and neglected it; but sounds like it's found a good owner to love it again =)
Old 01-08-2019, 12:46 PM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Welcome
Old 01-09-2019, 01:15 PM

Thank you. A young friend at work had an 05 Supercharged Cavalier, stage 2 and educated me a little on ecotechs. I’ve owned muscle cars to big jacked up suvs but still respect the power and speed these Cobalts have and how cheap it is to make more power. I am very excited to fix my car to see what it really can do but My garage is full of dirt bikes and quads and it’s not too fun turning wrenches in the driveway in winter time in Canada.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome
Old 02-19-2019, 01:08 PM

Received 531 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by PlumcrazySS
Thank you. A young friend at work had an 05 Supercharged Cavalier, stage 2 and educated me a little on ecotechs. I’ve owned muscle cars to big jacked up suvs but still respect the power and speed these Cobalts have and how cheap it is to make more power. I am very excited to fix my car to see what it really can do but My garage is full of dirt bikes and quads and it’s not too fun turning wrenches in the driveway in winter time in Canada.
Yeah, I hear that. At least you have a garage. Anyways, welcome! Post some pics.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I bought my '07, it was a car rejected by a local Toyota dealership and I found out why. I ended up having to replace the entire front suspension (CV joints, springs and sway bar were fine, though). When I test drove it, the chassis was fine on perfectly flat, smooth roads, but I soon found out that on anything with a bump or rut or undulation, the front end was all over the place — and it couldn't get traction for anything. It squirmed under power and bounced like a jackhammer the moment it lost traction. It was terrible.

Before buying the car I had done some extensive research and found that lots of people had issues with the front ends, but after I replaced the front end, I found out first hand the GM joints were junk when they were originally developed, because the replacement pieces were toasted by 15 miles of bad roads.

I love the way the car drives when in it's in perfect condition, but I wish you well chasing down the front end gremlins.

Last edited by hrspwrjunkie; 02-21-2019 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Left sway bar out.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Same here with my 08 ss. End links were shot, steering shaft was clunking, control arm bushings were ripped. Then after I got that all done I found my mounts had tons of play. All with only 56k
Old 02-22-2019, 03:03 PM

Dude, that sucks.

When I bought mine, it had 55,000 on it.

Sounds like around then might be a magic time for suspension failure.

It is a great car when the extra care is taken, though. Love the power and handling.

I just wish it didn't require major part replacement as a part of regular service.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:44 PM

Same here, love the car but never have I owned such a bucket of bolts, I've literally replaced everything besides the engine and turbo on the car. Mine now has 115k but I don't drive it much anymore since I got a beater.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:11 PM

Yeah, the engine is rock solid. It runs like a little beast.

As exceptional as the Ecotec is, you'd think they would have built up a more solid car around it.

This is the first car I've owned where I've come close to offering ritual sacrifices to the various car gods before I hit the open road because I'm afraid something major is going to go before I get back.

In fact, I don't think I've taken a road trip that hasn't required something major when I got back. It's been cheaper than flying and renting a car, but in some cases, not by a lot.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:47 AM

Yeah, I drive my beater further and more often even though it has 275k miles lol. This is a list of stuff that's already done to it.
modern performance intercooler
Hahn charge pipes
forged bypass valve
dijon intake
mpx full 3 inch exhaust from turbo back, catless down pipe and muffler delete
tuned on 23psi.
zzp lowering springs
This is all the nonsense b.s.

trans replaced under warranty at 38k along with new factory clutch (previous owner)
front control arm bushings/ end links
steering shaft
rear shocks
2 downstream 02 sensors
map sensor
complete front to back fuel lines (rotted out)
direct injection fuel pump
shifter cables
all the e brake cables
axle seals
rf wheel bearing
clutch 3 different times, the 2nd factory clutch went at 70k, put a clutch masters stage 1 in, was faulty out of the box and the rivets fell right out at 500 miles, replaced it again with the same one for free, that one lasted till 115k and the rivets and hat snapped off again. Then went with a south bend stage 4 clutch

a/c compressor fitting o rings
a/c pressure switch connector
blower fan switch
Right side inner door handle
hazard switch.

like I said, my luck has not been good lol
Old 02-23-2019, 05:07 PM

Don't feel bad, I don't have a laundry list of the things I've had to replace or have done to it (she's all stock, though), but I have a general summary of many of the unexpected worst offenders:
  • Major suspension and steering work (multiple times)
  • Major brake work — especially caliper replacement (multiple times)
  • A/C system replacement
  • Cylinder head replacement (once by previous owner under warranty, once by me because a leaking oil drain tube couldn't be replaced separately — then I found out the head gasket was partially blown because it ran so much better — it's been rock solid ever since, though — a previous owner really beat on her)
  • Rusted door bottom refinished — it wasn't bad, but I didn't want it to get that way, either
  • Throttle body replacement — the TPS went out and the entire unit had to be replaced
  • Repeated windshield replacements too numerous to count off the top of my head — I've never had a car that gets this many windshield hits and in the worst places
Way more work than I'd like for a daily driver, but the brakes and suspension have been really good for a while. The last time I had all the joints in the front suspension replaced with Moog pieces and they've been very solid. It even feels more solid. That's so sad.

Every time it's been a matter of the repairs being cheaper and more manageable than a new car, so I've gone that route, but they keep piling.

The thing is, is that she gets good gas mileage (25-29 in mixed commuting and 30-40 on the open road) and is a hoot to drive. Anything else I could potentially replace her with wouldn't be nearly as awesome. I mean, it responds and pulls almost like an old V8 Muscle Car and its got power everywhere and the way it's able to handle corners, it was definitely tuned to lap a road course. Even though I've had cars that can hold a corner harder, this thing gobbles corners with momentum. Quite pleasurable — especially for a front wheel drive 4-cylinder economy car.

I really do give kudos to the engineering team, I just wish they would have engineered in a LOT more durability.

Last edited by hrspwrjunkie; 02-23-2019 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Clarity.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:27 PM

Yeah, mine is pretty quick too and fun to drive, I finally got the new clutch broke in but i haven't been able to rip it fully. For the longest time i could shift in high rpm, assuming the clutch was on its way out. Now that the engagement point is around halfway of the travel I can't wait to see what it does. Mine has served up some ass whoopings to the unsuspecting teenagers in subies, civics, a lot of v8 cars as well. First and second gear are a joke cause I don't get any traction, but once I hit 3rd it's on. I don't drive it much and my teenage years are over. Approaching 30 with a kid on the way.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:12 PM

My teenage years have long since gone away and life's demands have done a good job of putting a crimp on my automotive love life as well — so I get it.

Congratulations on your first kid, FYI.

Sounds like your Cobalt is a hoot and a holler. I bet the turbo makes it a real kick in the pants and the competition probably doesn't even know what's hit'em until it's all over.

I know a lot of non-car people and they always look at me weird when I tell them my Cobalt is front wheel drive and has terrible traction because its too over-powered, but as I explain to them, under hard acceleration, the weight comes off the front tires, which is when the traction becomes an issue — they just don't have a front wheel drive car with enough power to cause the problem.

Although, I will say, that even when I first bought it and the suspension was trashed and it struggled to keep them planted, it could still pull out pretty good on the drag strip. On all season street tires she got down into 2.1s for 60-foot times — even with the head gasket issue. Now it's much better, but I haven't hit the track since it's been repaired to test it.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:03 AM

Gotcha, and thank you. The baby coming in may so that's why I really haven't been driving it much, can't afford something breaking anytime soon lol. Plus I am a mechanic at a luxary car dealership. Can't get caught doing anything stupid because I need my job. Everytime I drive it I just want to hammer down. When the front end was shot, the torque steering use to be ungodly bad. Felt like someone was reaching over and ripping the wheel out of my hands. I consider my car kind of an underdog. Not many people know about these sneaky cars. Or they think it's just supercharged. Last run I did was last year, some kid that lives near me was acting like a total turd. Was leaving wal mart and I had my wife in the car, she was not feeling too good because that first trimester is bad. I passed by the second entrance and the kid was sitting in his bug eye Subaru and shouting something out the window to me, I ignored it. Looked like he had some decent stuff done to it. Got to the light to turn left and he was sitting behind me reving up his car, acting like a total tool bag. Light turned and I started heading down route 100, kid was up my ass so as soon as I passed over the train tracks, I let her rip tater chip. He tried to keep up but I put bus lengths on him and everytime I shift while in full throttle my car spits out a flame and a black cloud of crap lol. I only did a 2nd and 3rd gear pull because my wife was not feeling the best and there was light traffic. Then he got next to me at the next light and was trying to ask what hell was done to it. I just said don't you worry about it, more than you can handle. I see him every now and then and he just revs at me, I guess to feel better about himself. I do still enjoy the unsuspecting ass whoopings lol. My priorities have changed though so I'm not all about that lifestyle anymore. I primarily drive my beat ass 01 maxima, that's a manual too so it's actually enjoyable somewhat
Old 02-24-2019, 06:33 PM

It really is amazing how much the front ends on these cars can flop like fishes. I've driven a lot of cars with torched front ends, but these cars bring a whole new level of unnerving to them.

I've always been partial to driving underdogs and surprising people with the view of my taillights. The more unexpected the better. Especially when people drop a huge chunk on a car and think they've purchased their way to the top — even better still when they lack the skill to drive it and realize their shiny new toy won't put them there.

Hopefully one day soon I'll be able to get back to the track and enjoy dropping the hammer again

Glad you have a daily driver that keeps you entertained. I've refused to go auto in my dailies because I want to enjoy the drive — and keep my skills as sharp as possible — even if I'm not able to drive them the way I would like.

Hope you get to continue to enjoy your Cobalt after your kid arrives!

It is our job to ruin — I mean teach — the next generation, right?
Old 02-24-2019, 06:51 PM

That's for sure lol.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:20 PM

First thing I noticed when I got under the car was that there was no bolts in the drivers side engine/tranny mount and it was just resting on the mount. I ordered new bolts and put em in and it stopped a lot of the banging but still have to install the new axles.