Pictures & Videos Your pictures, photoshops, and videos.

2014 Official Photography Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 12:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sh3itskees
I did get a SB-700 for Christmas so I've been toying with that. I got the Yongnuo wireless triggers for it as well so I'm going to start playing around with some off camera flash and see what I can get with that.
i too got a sb-700 recently, i havent tried setting it as a slave to the camera or master to the flash

i did get my remote to work with it, funny experiment... i hit the remote and try to hit the shutter and it just wasnt working out.

on camera its great still need to remember all the modes. if u shoot with the 18-55 the sb-700 will adjust as u zoom in and out.

i know the d5100 doesnt have command mode but there is ways around it
Old 03-06-2014, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cleaned my car, then had to go do some training up in northern Cali for 3 weeks, came home and the weather has been **** here in Texas so now my car is dirty again . I did like a 2 hour detail and everything hoping that it would be nice and shiny to go take some awesome sunset pics but I guess that's not going to happen lol.
huehuehuehue it's actually pretty nice today.

Name:  weather.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  103.1 KB
Old 03-06-2014, 10:11 AM

Honestly, I wish the US did measurements in metric. It's so stupid when I don't know what the equivalent is.

Especially when I leave the country.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:22 AM

I know it sounds biased but the metric system is just better..
it has order, it's consistent, and it's universal. It works on a scale of 10 for lengths and weigths (10mm in 1 cm, 100cm in 1m, 1000m in 1km) and the temperature scale works on with water where freezing is at 0*C and vapour at 100*C (at atmospheric pressure)
Old 03-06-2014, 10:28 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Metric is alright for some things. I know temperature could be easier it would just take some time to get used to, however for pressure, I know what my tire pressure is in psi. In pascals or KPa, I would have to think for a second and have to do a rough conversion to psi. As far as measurements and calculations metric is so nice for the simplicity.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by DSmastery
tonight we dine in Hell!!!!

idk why u would need to use those tools unless you needed to darken/lighten certain areas after messing with the raw.

they both have highlight,midtones and shadow. sounds like alot of extra steps, isolate a person's shadow and darken it haha and do contrast type stuff
Well that's just it, photos such as these below I'm told are super edited and I want photographs of this nature for sunsets. Even doing HDRs I can't do it. Now I'm not doing it for people though - I can do silhouettes beautifully but I want full-on sunset photographs:

Best I've done on my own for sunset: New York Sunset HDR by ForsakenOutlaw on deviantART

What I am looking to achieve:

Ship Wreck by ExplicitStudios on deviantART
Forgotten Place by LG77 on deviantART
Breathtaking Sunrise by MaximeCourty on deviantART
Fisherman and Sunset by WindyLife on deviantART
Sunset. by israelfi on deviantART
Elgol Sunset by XavierJamonet on deviantART

I could keep going but mine pale in comparison in terms of color and composition. A buddy of mine who does photography of an epic nature basically said most of it is dodging and burning - so I have to go into this and learn it.

Originally Posted by Gelladuga69
Honestly, I wish the US did measurements in metric. It's so stupid when I don't know what the equivalent is.

Especially when I leave the country.
Originally Posted by sergiochaotik
I know it sounds biased but the metric system is just better..
it has order, it's consistent, and it's universal. It works on a scale of 10 for lengths and weigths (10mm in 1 cm, 100cm in 1m, 1000m in 1km) and the temperature scale works on with water where freezing is at 0*C and vapour at 100*C (at atmospheric pressure)
Originally Posted by WVU_SS
Metric is alright for some things. I know temperature could be easier it would just take some time to get used to, however for pressure, I know what my tire pressure is in psi. In pascals or KPa, I would have to think for a second and have to do a rough conversion to psi. As far as measurements and calculations metric is so nice for the simplicity.
Listen Metric is fail, Imperial is superior. You Canadians have forsaken your heritage by moving to Metric and not keeping the glory that is Imperial. That being said, I will say, Americans should know how to convert through it; I'm glad I learned because I'm in the minority there.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:08 PM

Throughout school whenever I heard a prof say that the work needed to be done in Imperial everyone cringed. When dealing with gravity and pressures its damn easy to mix up things like psi and psia. Also who the hell knows what a slug is? In the end I agree, Imperial is easier to look at and understand.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:11 PM

But back on topic. More pictars!!!! I am by no means a photographer but I do enjoy getting on here to see your guys pics.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:13 PM

I know it sounds biased but the metric system is just better.. it has order, it's consistent, and it's universal. It works on a scale of 10 for lengths and weigths (10mm in 1 cm, 100cm in 1m, 1000m in 1km) and the temperature scale works on with water where freezing is at 0*C and vapour at 100*C (at atmospheric pressure)
Doesn't sound biased. You've probably seen the map where it shows the countries who use imperial.. And it's like 4.

Wasn't it president carter who tried but gave up on the metric conversion of the us?
Old 03-06-2014, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by ForsakenOutlaw57
Well that's just it, photos such as these below I'm told are super edited and I want photographs of this nature for sunsets. Even doing HDRs I can't do it. Now I'm not doing it for people though - I can do silhouettes beautifully but I want full-on sunset photographs:

Best I've done on my own for sunset: New York Sunset HDR by ForsakenOutlaw on deviantART

I could keep going but mine pale in comparison in terms of color and composition. A buddy of mine who does photography of an epic nature basically said most of it is dodging and burning - so I have to go into this and learn it.
alot of those are long exposure and image are all in focus as well, and if they are dodging and burning stuff its really just to add crisp and depth to anything and everything or take with dodging.

u can try on any of your pics, duplicate the layer and go in isolate areas(pen tool) and try 0-0.5 feature 0 being solid and .5 a light feature before it looks ghosty and out of place.

have all the brushes at softest setting, hardness set to 0. i use burn tool to gloss up/darken tires on cars if needed.

i just think a long exposure and high aperture will score a awesome sunset(plus editing). u only have a small window to capture but the sun will set another day

Last edited by DSmastery; 03-06-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:13 PM

Listen Metric is fail, Imperial is superior. You Canadians have forsaken your heritage by moving to Metric and not keeping the glory that is Imperial. That being said, I will say, Americans should know how to convert through it; I'm glad I learned because I'm in the minority there.

I read that in a sarcastic voice, and I hope I was right..

but anyway, look up Serge Ramelli on youtube, he's an avid fan of ''over-editing'' and super-saturating his images but his landscape photography is to die for. He gives really in-depth editing tutorials.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:40 PM

alot of those are long exposure and image are all in focus as well, and if they are dodging and burning stuff its really just to add crisp and depth to anything and everything or take with dodging.

u can try on any of your pics, duplicate the layer and go in isolate areas(pen tool) and try 0-0.5 feature 0 being solid and .5 a light feature before it looks ghosty and out of place.

have all the brushes at softest setting, hardness set to 0. i use burn tool to gloss up/darken tires on cars if needed.

i just think a long exposure and high aperture will score a awesome sunset(plus editing). u only have a small window to capture but the sun will set another day
Yeah it's a pain in the ass to capture and I've no issue with long exposures, the one I posted is well it's a 13 or something photo HDR but I've been doing long exposures after the sun goes down in hopes of getting something in the past and while the sky was gorgeous what came out on the camera was pissshit.

I read that in a sarcastic voice, and I hope I was right..

but anyway, look up Serge Ramelli on youtube, he's an avid fan of ''over-editing'' and super-saturating his images but his landscape photography is to die for. He gives really in-depth editing tutorials.
All right thanks. I'm stuck here, I'm not big into editing but I recognize, ****'s got to be done to look that good sometimes.

And no I was super serial, Imperial is superior to Metric.

If I may:

**** yeah!
Old 03-06-2014, 06:23 PM

Yeah it's a pain in the ass to capture and I've no issue with long exposures, the one I posted is well it's a 13 or something photo HDR but I've been doing long exposures after the sun goes down in hopes of getting something in the past and while the sky was gorgeous what came out on the camera was pissshit.
yee i seen your silky water ones and some of the ones you stitched together something epic haha

if you add the titanic it would be awesome sunset photo
Old 03-06-2014, 07:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
i'll just leave this here..

Time Magazine | Gigapan | 1 World Trade Center
Old 03-06-2014, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Daddy
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i walked out
Old 03-06-2014, 09:24 PM

I love doing image composites and want to get even more into it this year. I saved a few gifs like this to use a guide, and already have some cool ideas of locations by me. Here is one by "Handsome and philthy"

Here is a before and after of the one portrait I did. I used a bit of doging in the face because its natural light and the light was behind her. I also added a little more "pop" to the light, and cross processed it, bringing in more red in the mid tones. The skin was smoothed a little bit as well, and a closer crop. I spent maybe 1.5hrs on it total, but working with RAW speeds up what you can do.

I was busy for a day and come back to 2 pages of solid discussion and info in here, thats nice.

One more re-edit I did.

Light painting I did with a model GT500

Last edited by dandaman15; 03-06-2014 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:26 PM

huehuehuehue it's actually pretty nice today.

Wow that is just depressing... Reminds me of being in England again. Yuck. The winters there were terrible.

Those are some pretty awesome sunset shots. I've got a couple that I took in Corpus Christie when I went there with my family:

And here's one I took right up the street from my house:

I LOVE doing landscape stuff, but I have a hard time finding a good place to take some shots... One of these days I'm going to just so happen to have my camera when I'm in Dallas and get a good shot of the sky scrapers and the sunset and what not.... One of these days....

That's a pretty awesome shot!
Old 03-07-2014, 12:13 PM

yee i seen your silky water ones and some of the ones you stitched together something epic haha

if you add the titanic it would be awesome sunset photo
Haha Leooooo!!!! Maybe then he'll get an Oscar (though perhaps this year Matthew Mc - I haven't see the movie but his acting in True Detective is +5)

Originally Posted by dandaman15
I love doing image composites and want to get even more into it this year. I saved a few gifs like this to use a guide, and already have some cool ideas of locations by me. Here is one by "Handsome and philthy"

Here is a before and after of the one portrait I did. I used a bit of doging in the face because its natural light and the light was behind her. I also added a little more "pop" to the light, and cross processed it, bringing in more red in the mid tones. The skin was smoothed a little bit as well, and a closer crop. I spent maybe 1.5hrs on it total, but working with RAW speeds up what you can do.

I was busy for a day and come back to 2 pages of solid discussion and info in here, thats nice.
Bingo - that's wonderful and yes I work in RAWs too. I just have to play around I guess, what resources I've found most of them are too vague in the way they're written to be of much use but since you said where you did what how that's something big and helpful.

Wow that is just depressing... Reminds me of being in England again. Yuck. The winters there were terrible.

Those are some pretty awesome sunset shots. I've got a couple that I took in Corpus Christie when I went there with my family:

And here's one I took right up the street from my house:

I LOVE doing landscape stuff, but I have a hard time finding a good place to take some shots... One of these days I'm going to just so happen to have my camera when I'm in Dallas and get a good shot of the sky scrapers and the sunset and what not.... One of these days....

That's a pretty awesome shot!
Can we say gorgeous? C'mon say it with me folks.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:25 PM

I can see our office in New York Too bad I can't make out my apartment but I can see where it is.

Epic I love these things. Now for all of you who have trouble spotting things. If you look hard enough the buildings all say "We're epic neener neener neener..."

I THINK - not 100% sure - this building is Adorama.

Also: hee hee hee

vs.

http://forsakenoutlaw.deviantart.com...g-Ad-422683525

Last edited by ForsakenOutlaw57; 03-07-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:43 PM

a little comparison between two different aperture points, i was early to work too haha

work computer doesnt have any Raw editing software -_- cs3 photoshop isnt the business

Old 03-07-2014, 01:54 PM

why not f/1.8 @ 1/20?
Old 03-07-2014, 01:57 PM

why not f/1.8 @ 1/20?
it would just be white ness
Old 03-07-2014, 01:58 PM

I know

Good compro tho. Did you rotate the bottle or is it just cropped different?
Old 03-07-2014, 02:33 PM

I know

Good compro tho. Did you rotate the bottle or is it just cropped different?

i just didnt shot it at the same angle like a noob haha i was just sitting in my car enjoy ma oj

the bottle is sitting on the door but i moved or something
Old 03-07-2014, 02:41 PM

why not f/1.8 @ 1/20?
pfft f/16 (f/22) or bust. I don't know which lens he has lol.

Quick Reply: 2014 Official Photography Thread