Pictures & Videos Your pictures, photoshops, and videos.

Camera Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 08:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Camera Advice

Hey guys, just got a few questions I'd like some help with. My Wal-Mart just started stocking some half-decent digital cameras, and while I'm quite happy with my cheap little Canon PowerShot, I've always wanted a camera that would literally be able to do anything, photography wise. So I checked them out, but I would like some pointers from you guys who are more familiar with the high-end cameras. The camera that really caught my eye was the Canon Digital Rebel XT D-SLR. More specifically, it's the "EOS Rebel XT EF-S 18-55 Kit" if that helps at all. Is anyone familiar with this camera specifically? The price is $759.83, but I get a 10% discount so that's $76 off right off the bat, but it's still a lot of money to be spending so I wanted to do some research to see if it's something I should invest in. Any and all input is welcomed.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was looking at the Rebel until I went to a camera store, they talked me into a Canon 20D which was just released at the time. Almost the same as the Rebel except with more features and controls and of course more money ($1200 US). Main thing is the lens interchangability.
I would check out the prices through mail-order. One other thing you might want to think about is carrying around a larger camera, some of the smaller digital cameras now are 10 and 12 megapixel. I see that Canon is about to release the G9 which looks like a full featured camera for $500. US.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:09 PM

mega pixels SHOULD NOT be a deciding factor in selecting your next camera unless your doing it for a living. You need to decide what your going to use the camera for and what your final output would be ie. print or computing usage. Once you know which medium your going to focus on you need to select a camera that can fullfill your needs and style.

Your needs and shooting style should dictate your purchase as well as your experience with cameras. Some DSLR's have very good explanation of what does what and some don't there are help topics online but most wont teach you the how to's of a specific camera. If you want to shoot images that show a wide area of detail such as cars up close or friends and family and wide landscapes then a simple dslr starter kit would be fine since your style is more up close and personal and most kits come with a wide angle and or a short zoom lens (normally 2-3x zoom). If you want to reach out to something far away you will need to consider the fact that you will have to purchase another lens that will easily exceed the camera in price or get a kit that is slightly more expensive at first than a starter kit with a decent zoom range such as 5-8x zoom range. You will also want to at the least test the camera and see how easy it is the navigate the options available.

I personally want a dslr simply for interchangable lens because I have a wide range style. Sometimes I use macro shots sometimes I use zoom shot and other times just a wideangle shot. That amount of range would cause me to have a 2-3 grand hobby if done on the dslr side of things so instead I opt for a pro consumer camera specifically the super zoom cameras my last being an an Olympus SP500uz 6.1mp and my current an SP550uz 7.1 which I am going to return soon to upgrade to the sp560uz 8.1.

Here is a chart showing how mp's have nearly nothing to do with a buying descision nowawdays

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWor...hartPopup.html
Old 09-06-2007, 03:08 PM

I just recently purchased a Nikon D40 D-SLR with an extra lense for shooting landscapes that are off in the distance. So far I am amazed with my camera, the first night I had it I went out into some places with nearly no light and got some amazing pictures.. To me there are 2 brands worth looking at, canon and nikon. If your looking at DSLR's then either brand is great. I went with nikon because it just felt better in my hand and it was about 100$ less, which really, 100$ is nothing when your looking at SLR's. If your like me and just want a camera that is capable of taking some amazing pictures and is user friendly I would suggest the Canon Rebel XT/XTI or Nikon D40/D40x. Both cameras are easy to use and pretty easy on the wallet too. I know Reignftsolider and photographer will chime in soon, they both are very knowlegeable when it comes to cameras. Good luck with what ever camera you get! If you have any other questions I will do my best to help!

Mike
Old 09-06-2007, 03:18 PM

Sony Cybershot G7. That's the one I have now, and I'm loving the million different options. Mind you this camera isn't cheap. You can get different filters, set your own custom settings, shutter speed priority setting, etc. Love the hell out of that thing, I just need to get better at shots and angles. Definitely suggest getting a tripod if you don't have one already. That thing is a freaking life-saver in and of itself.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:00 PM

you could get that same camera for even less than $600, which is better than with your Walmart discount...

B&H Photo is your friend when it comes to buying equipment. Trust me...

Before you choose a specific line, look at what lenses are available for each brand. A lot has to do with lens quality along with a very good understanding of light & exposure. Do some research on some photography boards - they do help.

Considering myself, who started out 6 years ago with a Sony Cybershot 3.2MP P&S to now doing photography for a living and having more equipment than what my car is worth...
Old 09-06-2007, 07:38 PM

Thanks for the replies so far guys. They are definitely helping me decide what I should do. Mind you I won't be buying a new camera anytime soon like in the next month or so, I simply don't have the cash to spend on a camera right now, but it's definitely in my plans to have something good within the next year or so.

As for my shooting style, I mainly like taking photos of cars, people, and just random things one may find that's picture-worthy. I know that more or less any camera can be used for those types of shots, but I also like to take close ups of things sometimes, or even just a picture of something where the camera is closer to the subject than usual to capture a specific detail. Then there are times where I might bring the camera when I'm on a trail in the woods or some other place and need a really good zoom to be able to see something that's not too close. Basically I'm just trying to plan ahead so that I get a camera that's ready for every situation I might find myself in, rather than with the camera I have now where I'm frequently running into the problem where I can't compose the shot I want because of the camera's limitations.

Hope that all made sense, I tend to ramble on aimlessly sometimes...
Old 09-06-2007, 08:37 PM

thats what were here for!
Old 09-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Sometimes its more about how you use the camera, not the camera that you have...

But on that note, the Rebel XT is an awesome starter DSLR that could keep you happy for years. But you can find it cheaper then Wal-mart at an online retailer like bandhphoto.com.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:41 PM

Yea deff go with b&h like the others have said. They have amazing prices!
Old 09-18-2007, 01:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i wanted an slr but i had to settle for a canon s5. my friend is a professional photographer and he said for a starter camera its pretty good. got it from B&H for 365, then saw they had a deluxe bundle with 2x2gb ultra II cards, rechargeable battery, charger, bag, 5 year warranty, bunch of other **** for 490 and i got that bundle instead. will be here friday.

are you a nikon or a canon shooter porter?? my friend is a nikon shooter, already has a deposit on a D3

Last edited by Kahless; 09-18-2007 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:22 PM

Just wanted to add a caution since this thread has gotten onto mail order cameras.

Mail order companies used to often sell "gray market" cameras. That is the term used to describe a camera made for sale in another country. It was still new, good equipment, but sometimes the manuals were printed in different languages and some companies wouldn't honor the warranty in the US. Some sellers wouldn't tell you unless you asked, others would list both (gray and US market) and charge more for US market cameras.

I don't know if that is still valid cause I haven't ordered anything in a while. Maybe Reign or someone can add to this with current info?
Old 09-18-2007, 03:26 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by REIGNftSOLDIER
Sometimes its more about how you use the camera, not the camera that you have...

But on that note, the Rebel XT is an awesome starter DSLR that could keep you happy for years. But you can find it cheaper then Wal-mart at an online retailer like bandhphoto.com.
yup, i love b&h. they have everything you can think of there and with very competitive prices. you can get an xt w/ lens for under 500 brand new if you shop around dude. i had my xt for almost 2 years and it's a great starter dslr camera. took some amazing pics w/ it. i sold mine though and purchased a canon 30d. it's a lil step up.