Pictures & Videos Your pictures, photoshops, and videos.

ZZP 6 Speed Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 05:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt M
Do you have any reason to not run the 6 speed?
Cost and complexity

I just bought and am using a clutch and flywheel from you guys. Why buy another clutch and another flywheel... plus a new F40... plus a custom axle... plus custom speed sensor... plus new shift cable... plus different mounts... plus an install kit... plus modifying the shifter...?

If ZZP is only doing local installs on direct-swap 5 speeds alone, to ensure that things are installed right, then I'm quite surprised that you'd have faith in people to do all of the above. Just sayin'.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:55 PM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Stamina
Cost and complexity

I just bought and am using a clutch and flywheel from you guys. Why buy another clutch and another flywheel... plus a new F40... plus a custom axle... plus custom speed sensor... plus new shift cable... plus different mounts... plus an install kit... plus modifying the shifter...?

If ZZP is only doing local installs on direct-swap 5 speeds alone, to ensure that things are installed right, then I'm quite surprised that you'd have faith in people to do all of the above. Just sayin'.
I understand your viewpoint, but you are overstating the job and cost. The total cost is quite a bit less than people seem to think. Also, there is not much added complexity. Installing a clutch and flywheel is the same. Installing the trans is the same. Installing an axle is the same. The speed sensor install is simple and adds very little time. Installing shift cables with the trans out of the car is pretty easy. Installing mounts is the same. Modifying the shifter can be done in about 10-15 minutes. It's really not a complex job.

As far as zzp having faith in someone installing everything right, its not the same concern. Yes we want our customers' projects to pan out. However, if you purchase your own F40 trans elsewhere, we wouldn't be responsible to warranty it if it fails. Our install kit and additional parts would have a far less chance of failure. Also, we don't have a surplus of 5 speeds. We can use up all of the cores we get while only selling them along with an install. Our 6 speed kit can put the burden of sourcing a trans on the customer, for what thats worth.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
So the F40 is a semi-automatic? I’m not familiar with the setup. Is here a clutch with a gear selector?

I wonder if we can see a real 6 speed manual for our platform. I’d love to see 2k rev’s on the highway doing 80 MPH. Talk about gas mileage without sacrificing performance.

Last edited by Macgyver2484; 11-06-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:37 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
ok so big question, Matt it their any way to make this work with the 2.2 L61?
Old 11-06-2012, 01:40 AM

I understand your viewpoint, but you are overstating the job and cost. The total cost is quite a bit less than people seem to think. Also, there is not much added complexity. Installing a clutch and flywheel is the same. Installing the trans is the same. Installing an axle is the same. The speed sensor install is simple and adds very little time. Installing shift cables with the trans out of the car is pretty easy. Installing mounts is the same. Modifying the shifter can be done in about 10-15 minutes. It's really not a complex job.

As far as zzp having faith in someone installing everything right, its not the same concern. Yes we want our customers' projects to pan out. However, if you purchase your own F40 trans elsewhere, we wouldn't be responsible to warranty it if it fails. Our install kit and additional parts would have a far less chance of failure. Also, we don't have a surplus of 5 speeds. We can use up all of the cores we get while only selling them along with an install. Our 6 speed kit can put the burden of sourcing a trans on the customer, for what thats worth.
If I'm overstating what's involved here then that's wonderful.

This still requires a new clutch and flywheel (~$1,100 immediately down the drain for those like me that just bought them from you and installed them, knowing they could be used on all future LNF F35s or upgraded variants). Are the mounts compatible with the steering rack for those with spacers? Is it comparable or better in price to the 5 speed options? Considering these have been installed on only a handful of cars, what reliability information do we really have?

The main reason for switching to this trans is the 3 shaft design which eliminates the flex that allows 3rd gear to strip all the teeth under high torque. Also, the gears are much larger in the F40 trans. While it is only rated to about 16% higher torque than the F35, it appears that it will take a lot more power than that. I am running one in my car and I have many dyno pulls beyond 700whp. My F35 broke just before I made it to 700whp, but it had been in my car for a couple years, so it's a tough comparison.

The gearing in this particular trans is near ideal. It has a 1st gear similar to LNF 3.82, 4th gear similar to our 4.45 trans, and then of course closer spacing in between. Then of course the best advantage of this trans is the 6th gear that drops your cruising RPMs about 500rpm compared to 5th.

This trans actually does not require a different clutch pressure plate, but the clutch disk is different to match the input shaft splines.

We are in the middle of another install in a customer's car. After that, we will work on putting together kits and we will talk about pricing. So far, it appears that it will be less expensive than most people have been guessing.
This helps the confidence factor, but doesn't really answer the question, as we haven't had the time and number of examples to provide any kind of trend.

I'm glad that the 6 speed option is out there, but I guess the bottom line is I basically feel shafted by this (no pun intended), mostly from an investment standpoint, but not being able to get an F35 even if I'm offering to pay to have it shipped to save on that investment. I already sent y'all a spare F35 core without purchasing one, and would be sending an additional one with my swap, so y'all would still net +1 cores as far as the shortage goes.

Anyway... /blowing off steam

Perhaps we can order a clutch disk alone to convert it over?

Interested to see if pricing is comparable.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Macgyver2484
So the F40 is a semi-automatic? I’m not familiar with the setup. Is here a clutch with a gear selector?

I wonder if we can see a real 6 speed manual for our platform. I’d love to see 2k rev’s on the highway doing 80 MPH. Talk about gas mileage without sacrificing performance.
What?
How is this not a real 6mt?
Old 11-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
what happened to scythe snake?

i had the pleasure of meeting him in person a few weeks back at a carshow in chicago. cool dude. after meeting him i remembered who he was exactly and went back to talk to him about this transmission. (And his awesome 640hp cobalt! ) hearing how quiet it was you wouldn't guess its that fast!

he said it was holding up great so far, and he had actually just finally floored it/started using it the day before. didn't seem to have much of an opinion on it yet other than good.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:07 AM
Former Vendor

If I'm overstating what's involved here then that's wonderful.

This still requires a new clutch and flywheel (~$1,100 immediately down the drain for those like me that just bought them from you and installed them, knowing they could be used on all future LNF F35s or upgraded variants). Are the mounts compatible with the steering rack for those with spacers? Is it comparable or better in price to the 5 speed options? Considering these have been installed on only a handful of cars, what reliability information do we really have?

This helps the confidence factor, but doesn't really answer the question, as we haven't had the time and number of examples to provide any kind of trend.

I'm glad that the 6 speed option is out there, but I guess the bottom line is I basically feel shafted by this (no pun intended), mostly from an investment standpoint, but not being able to get an F35 even if I'm offering to pay to have it shipped to save on that investment. I already sent y'all a spare F35 core without purchasing one, and would be sending an additional one with my swap, so y'all would still net +1 cores as far as the shortage goes.

Anyway... /blowing off steam

Perhaps we can order a clutch disk alone to convert it over?

Interested to see if pricing is comparable.
You don't need to swap the whole clutch, just the disk. Disk and flywheel wouldn't be anywhere close to $1100, plus you would have your pressure plate and flywheel to sell. This is why I said that you are overstating it. You quickly came up with an $1100 cost for this part when it is probably closer to $500.

Steering rack would not be affected.

Believe me, I wish we had a bunch of 5 speeds like we did a couple years ago.

Did you tell Tim that you sent us a core? It's not like any of us would know that off the top of our heads when you are just ranting on a forum. I personally have almost zero involvement in the F35 trans builds.

It is a manual trans 6 speed.

Last edited by Matt M; 11-06-2012 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by riceburner
what happened to scythe snake?

i had the pleasure of meeting him in person a few weeks back at a carshow in chicago. cool dude. after meeting him i remembered who he was exactly and went back to talk to him about this transmission. (And his awesome 640hp cobalt! ) hearing how quiet it was you wouldn't guess its that fast!

he said it was holding up great so far, and he had actually just finally floored it/started using it the day before. didn't seem to have much of an opinion on it yet other than good.
He's around. He got some races in on the new trans setup this past weekend.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Reading pwned you on this one buddy ...check out the first page...there is also a movie. The 6 speed is pretty slick
Old 11-07-2012, 12:19 PM

lol its pretty baller hahahaha cracks me up. 6 speed is so sweet.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
good to know!
Old 11-08-2012, 01:39 PM

sickest car on the board. great work
Old 11-11-2012, 04:32 PM

You don't need to swap the whole clutch, just the disk. Disk and flywheel wouldn't be anywhere close to $1100, plus you would have your pressure plate and flywheel to sell. This is why I said that you are overstating it. You quickly came up with an $1100 cost for this part when it is probably closer to $500.

Steering rack would not be affected.

Believe me, I wish we had a bunch of 5 speeds like we did a couple years ago.

Did you tell Tim that you sent us a core? It's not like any of us would know that off the top of our heads when you are just ranting on a forum. I personally have almost zero involvement in the F35 trans builds.
Because that's what I paid you guys for them. lol (Stage 4 clutch and Fidanza flywheel... $749.99 + $309 = $1059.99 + shipping... even the "base" Stage 2 clutch would have been $489.99 alone, if I went that route.) How much are the F40-compatible clutch/disk/flywheel equivalents though?

I'll try talking again with Tim or waiting for some Black Friday thing I guess.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:54 PM
Premium Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Anyone know anything about the 6 speed found in the new buick regal turbo. It bolts up to the 2.0 they use in there. Is it a F-40 still or a new trans like the turbo Verano is getting ?
Old 11-11-2012, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by mongorat427
Anyone know anything about the 6 speed found in the new buick regal turbo. It bolts up to the 2.0 they use in there. Is it a F-40 still or a new trans like the turbo Verano is getting ?
On paper it's the "F40", but I'm not sure if they've done any changes to it. What's also interesting about the F40 is that it's AWD capable, just never utilized that way to date.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:20 PM
Premium Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
On paper it's the "F40", but I'm not sure if they've done any changes to it. What's also interesting about the F40 is that it's AWD capable, just never utilized that way to date.
I guess they changed the bell housing to fit the ecotec. The Verano gets an all new trans. Tremac I think
Old 11-14-2012, 09:42 AM

Is this offered with LSD?
Old 11-14-2012, 09:52 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Is this offered with LSD?
Not currently, but Quaife does make one. You'd have to buy it/pay for it separately.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Scythe_Snake
Not currently, but Quaife does make one. You'd have to buy it/pay for it separately.
Do we know if ZZP's been doing their dragstrip passes without one?
Old 11-14-2012, 10:48 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Believe so.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Former Vendor

Do we know if ZZP's been doing their dragstrip passes without one?
I don't have one yet. I don't believe it will make much of a difference at the dragstrip. They really help when you are powering out of a turn on the road course.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:17 AM

As asked before. Can this keep be made compatible with a 2.2/2.4, I myself would like one as well as another guy I know. Thanks in advance ZZP.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:33 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Validater
As asked before. Can this keep be made compatible with a 2.2/2.4, I myself would like one as well as another guy I know. Thanks in advance ZZP.
Yes, but you need a custom flywheel, due to the 6 bolt crank instead of 8. I will look into getting some of the flywheels made that way.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:46 AM

Yes, but you need a custom flywheel, due to the 6 bolt crank instead of 8. I will look into getting some of the flywheels made that way.
Sweet. Thanks Matt.

Quick Reply: ZZP 6 Speed Transmission